Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 1, 2007, 1:12 PM   #371

FWIW, I own both a CG65 and an HD1000, and my anecdotal observation has been that the HD1000 is better in low light in every way, including image quality and focusing. Not saying either is perfect, but if I had to choose, it'd be the HD1000 for sure.

Also, for those who've read comments about the knock-off batteries lasting only 30 minutes, I just got a knock-off battery yesterday, charged it up fully, and ran my HD1000 with it until it died. It lasted exactly one hour and five minutes of continuous recording in 720p30 mode. I haven't tested the stock Sanyo battery yet, but I was quite pleased with that result considering the price of the battery allowed me to get two batteries plus a stand-alone compact wall charger with international converter adapter and a car adapter all for the price of probably one Sanyo battery.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 1:28 PM   #372

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
[...]comments about the knock-off batteries[...]
I imagine even within the knock-off world, not all knock-offs are created equal. :-)
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 2:19 PM   #373

I alsogotover an hour from my generic batteries I purchased through eBay. I was pleased with the results for the price I paid.

R,
Lake
laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 2:59 PM   #374

OK I just ordered a Sanyo HD1000 from Beach Audio for $714, which is a little cheaper than when they first came out. Also got next day shipping. I got the last one from their warehouse in Albany, NY, but was told that they will be updating their site to reflect that they still have 20 more in their Arizona warehouse. So buy them up people !!!! I hope this helps . God Bless :G
JRDELUNAIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:18 AM   #375

ok..i'm gonna order mine now @ ebayshop ...check dis website out! (http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html) web manual for sanyo HD1000 (video edition) it show u step by step how 2 use dis video camera in a day light, night time, fire works etc. with video 2 watch!
jared3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:09 AM   #376

Looking for some feedback on focus hunting in low light with the HD1000, I found the CG65 better at finding optimal focus but another forum member disagrees and finds the HD1000 better.

Anybody care to comment. I tested again last night and I really have problems focusing in low light, my CG65 was much better.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:54 PM   #377

I've just purchased the HD1000 and really impressed with the quality. What a great camcorder. I've purchased the camcorder for paragliding and as it's fairly light it can mount perfectly on my paragliding helmet.

Only think I've noticed so far is that in low light the detail is not perfect. Moving the camcorder quickly there is some noticable jerkyness as it almost skips a frame.

The quality of the AVCHD camcorder and this one is not a patch on my canon HV10 though. If you want quality stay with mini dv however, for practicality this beats everything in my opinion.
morritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:19 PM   #378

One word of advice to anyone just getting the HD1000 and particularly if you are new to photography is to learn the settings in your camera.

The HD1000 is ok if you just point and shoot, but if you make adjustments in the menus for your venue you can get fantastic results. Learn the limitations of your camera and adjust accordingly. One thing is certain, the settings you use in sunlight will not produce good results inside; you must make adjustments.

The biggest complaint on here has been about indoor performance of the HD1000 and there is only so much any camera can do in low light, particularly a camcorder. However, there are settings which have been covered earlier in the thread which can improve the output and usage of your HD1000 in low light.

The most popular camcorders I am familiar with all get complaints about low-light performance, and I know I've said this as well, but even when the pros shoot indoors they almost always have floodlights on their subject.

Back to the settings, I know I was particularly impressed after I got in and really learned what the different settings in the camera did. The online manual mentioned a few posts back helped me a lot with various settings. Readand watchthose; eventually lightbulbs will begin to go off in your head.

Regards,
Lake
laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:38 PM   #379

Turk - I don't know what to tell you either. I agree that the CG65 was pretty impressive as a camcorder in low light; however, I couldn't replicate the settings under which I took the CG65 footage with the HD1000 ( unless of course you want to chip in for a plane ticket to Iceland, in which case I'd gladly report back to you in a couple of weeks ). :-)

I think the problem is that no one has the same idea of what constitutes low light. So asking others isn't going to help - you'd probably be best off getting a three way bulb, turning off all other lights, getting a tripod, marking off predetermined distances, stopping down the HD 1000 lens to the f stop of the CG 65 ( to be fair to the CG65), and then use a stopwatch to time focusing speeds at various light intensities and distances.

Anything short of that is going to be way subjective. Even if two people independently agree to shoot under the same light wattage and light bulb brand, the reflectivity of whatever it is that they are shooting is bound to differ, and will affect focus speeds.

But you know what? The HD 1000 has a hotshoe for video lights, which the CG 65 doesn't have. So you can use a LED light like the Sima LED Universal Video Light Model SL-10L, less than 30 bucks, will at least help with the focusing. You'd have to spend 30 bucks more than that to get the Camera-Bright LED light for the CG65.

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:09 AM   #380

I agree with Laked3..dat's why i posted d sanyo site online manual just 2 show people how 2 adjust or how 2 use d sanyo video camera in a low light or even in a candle light. read d manual guys! or at least watch it online how 2 adjust it. don't use automatic in a low light..learn how 2 adjust it and master it!
jared3105 is offline   Reply With Quote