Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:36 PM   #31

4MP is plenty for most users and it's still higher than most regular camcorders out there. Thankfully Sanyo haven't gone insane and foisted a noisy 10MP camcorder on us yet!

I really think that camcorder manufactures should begin to concentrate on improving their low light ability. I'd much rather have a camcorder that only took reasonable 2MP still images yet had fantastic low light ability than great 5MP still images in daylight and was poor indoors for video.

I also read in the specs that it has a low power consumption and is able to shoot around 2 hours! Of course battery life is always optimistic but even so that is still quite decent for a small device.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:58 PM   #32

k1mch1 wrote:
Quote:
too bad Sanyo doenst have OIS, for movie recording OIS is a must.

SAnyo should buy the OIS tech from panasonic, without it their camcorder is next to useless.
That's a strong statement. I agree OIS is great but Camcorders have done fine without it for many years, so to say it would be 'next to useless' is a bit over the top.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:08 AM   #33

According to Sanyo's website:

Sanyo's newly developed Multi Blur Correction helps to stabilize still images. This system is capable of correcting for blur caused by camera rotation, as well as for blur caused by a moving target. The movie image stabilizer, based on our proprietary digital image stabilizer, increases the area of detection for camera shake and improves correction accuracy.

While I'm sure it's not as good as Canon's or Panasonic's OIS, I'm very curious how good it is. Hope it's far better than Aiptek's video quality if you move the camera around.

With the smaller number of megapixels it will hopefully have good low light performance. Just wondering when someone's going to post 720p footage especially in low light.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 1:45 AM   #34

I expect Japanese sites like watch impress and Akihabara News will have downloadable samples in the near future. The only HD1000 downloadable sample Ihave come across so far is one I got from the Japanesedigiblo blog site; they put up a SanyoXacti HD1000sample the day of the announcement. For some reasonthat site appears to be down at this time, so I've uploaded a copy for those who are interested. Here is a sample 4MP photo taken with the HD1000 (clickto get full size; credit: digiblo.jp):

[align=center][/align]
[align=left]Digibloposted a full HD sample; click -> to download aHD 1920x1080 60i MP4 sample (25MB, click "Request download link", then "download file"; credit: digiblo.jp).[/align]
[align=left]I don't have enough power or even screen resolution to play this full HD video on my PC yet. Many people won't yet either, but this is why Sanyo's "Xacti Library" feature is potentially so great. With the "Xacti Library" and support for external USB drives directly connected to the HD1000, people will be able to play all of their HD1000 full HD videos out to HDTVs usingit's HDMI connection without the needfor a PC. Good thinking on the part of Sanyo.[/align]
[align=left]But I can say that the pixel resolution on this HD video sample looks amazing. Hereis a single frame capture from near the end of the video (note: compressed with JPEG, so some loss of quality there; click for larger):[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=left]Interestingly it's cloudy day footage from Banff (in the Rocky Mountains), Alberta, Canada. I zoomed in on the people at the bottom right and the pixel detail is incredible. Here is a 300% zoom in without any smoothing to show the actual pixels; it looks like an anti-aliased downsample when in fact it's the camera's video footage pixels at highest HD resolution blown up![/align]

[align=center][/align]
[align=left]For those not capable of playing the full HD video sample but are curious to get a general idea of what this sample looks like, I downconverted it to a lower-bitrate (much lower quality!) 720p WMV video and uploaded it:1280x720 30p WMV downconversion (5MB). It's only 5MB = 1/5 the original and I made it a WMV so people wouldn't confuse it with output from the camera.[/align]
[align=left]I'm looking forward to see more samples from the HD1000 as well as some taken at lower resolutions (for us without > 42" HDTVs).[/align]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:19 AM   #35

They finally came out with a video card that would make any 2+Ghz P4 AGP computer be able to play HD video well providing you have 1 gig of ram or more.

The ATI HD 2600 pro and XT cards have finally hit stores. They make a huge difference on HD performance since the card handles all the video work. Only problem is drivers not being mature enough especially for some video games. You also need a fairly good power supply. Still it's cheaper than getting a new system.

The 2400 also is out in AGP but is cripppled by the memory bus so I would avoid it.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:26 PM   #36

dvdivx, yeah, both major graphics chip companies (ATI/AMD & Nvidia) are including AVC/H.264 decoding acceleration in their latest and greatest video cards. I remember reading somewhere that Apple wants to include hardware AVC/H.264 decoding for all future Macs. So in the near future, PCs will be able to play these fulll HD AVC videos without any issues. But Sanyo's "Xacti Library" is a good idea as both a stop gapmeasure andsimply for people who don't want to deal withPCs. I have a graphics card I paid a lot for a few years ago, and it's still a good performer but it does lack the latest features. I'm waiting to get a quad core PC to get a new GPUalong with it:G.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:14 PM   #37

All of the new ATI cards, except for the 2900, which was designed before, have their new video processing section. I recommend to test if their aicooled models can do the playback also.

Caelum,

Do you of an tool I can use to convert the h264 video to lossless/near lossless, for faster playback?

Is this camera 1080p, or 1080i. I've looked at the train frame and see no real interlacing.

The 720p modes are the most interesting, one has the best compression ratio and the other the most effective compression.

Looked at some of the frames at http://www.digiblo.jp/ showing today, and the saturation appears turned up, but it looks like it can be turned down from the sample frame, is this correct?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:18 PM   #38

By the way, thanks for all the samples guys.

The coloration and brightness of the samples over at the Kodak z1275 thread, are crazy beautiful, let's hope that the Sanyo can also do coloration and brightness samples like that.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...795051#p795051
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:11 AM   #39

Wayne12, re conversion: AVC/H.264 is very efficient; the playback issue is not just one of decompression, it's also the shear amount of raw data contained in 1080 HD video, over 10GB of raw image data per minute. You could convert it to a less efficient format but file sizes will balloon, and playback issues will not completely go away due to bandwidth issues. Actually with video cards doing AVC/H.264 decoding work directly into their high-speed RAM video buffers, thisalleviates bus bottlenecks.

The HD1000 does 1920x1080 60 interlaced fields per second; that frame cap I tookwasone deinterlaced full frame (= 2 fields). According to the specs, the HD1000 canalso do 1280x720 60 (full) frames per second, wow.

I don't know what you are referring to when you write "the frames at digiblo showing today" and their saturationor "all the samples". As far as I can see the digiblo blog has only posted one entry with one photo and one video samplefrom the HD1000 so far, dated 2007-08-30.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:53 AM   #40

Yeah, my brain must be switched off, that is 90MB/s, and I haven't even got my raptor hard drive based system yet. Well, it would still play faster than the original on my present system. Lossless compression of the h264 should be on the upper end, that would be around 30MB/s. I don't have the video card to do it (main system broke, yet to replace it). Still too much.

Referring to the link before, those pictures must belong to previouse entries, gratefully.

The video download they are using is crazy, errors out, and when loading varies from over 5K an second down to 100bytes a second, mostly 3-2K an second, or less.

Wayne.