Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:45 PM   #401

Lake,

I'm glad the VideoMic fits the hot shoe, and I didn't know it could be adjusted backwards--thanks for the report.

The reason I questioned the weight spec was that it's the exact same as reported for the HD2 in its own manual. Actually, the specs for the dimensions and volume are the exact same also.
Outrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:42 PM   #402

laked3 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I did extensive testing with the Rode VideoMic and it sounded great and there were no abnormalities or clicks or anything but audio on the recordings.

In addition, the built-in microphone is excellent.

Can't speak to your other questions.

Regards,
Lake

Hi Lake, are you able to post a picture of your HD1000 in different angleswith the Rode VideoMic attach on top for all of us to see ?? Thanks and God Bless :G
JRDELUNAIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:01 AM   #403

I tried but it turned out too dark. I'll try again later when it is brighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V903ffydXsc

R,
Lake
laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:07 AM   #404

That looks pretty good from what I can see of it. Does the HD1000 record mono on both stereo channels with that mic?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:56 AM   #405

Hi folks!

New to digital camcorders but not new to IT or forums.

Concerning the HD1000 - it looks sweet and the price iswithin budget for Christmas - BUT, would like to get opinions on the competition.

What competes directly with HD1000?

Note: I am boycotting Sony products unless they offer the only suitable choice - I don't like how they handled the rootkit incident.

Expected primary use would be family/friend gatherings - some, but minimal travel/sight-seeing.

-bill

Digerati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:06 AM   #406

Yes, it records mono to both channels. Thanks for pointing that out; it is another point of consideration.

One of the beautiful things about the HD1000 is it is a great camera without throwing extras at it.

I personally don't think the VideoMic is an accessory I would purchase for the HD1000; I already had one so I've tested it some and then chosen not to use it though I believe I'm going to take it to a football game this weekend and test it better.

A far more useful microphone to me would be a wireless microphone and I do have a suggestion for a nice and relatively inexpensive wireless that does avery goodjob. The Audio-Techica ATR288W is very good. One of my favorite things about it is that the mics plug in so you can even use your VideoMic remotely with it or any microphone you choose.

I like adding an inexpensive glass lens such as a polarizing filter to protect the lens on the camera and I have found a wide angle adapter (not fisheye) to be useful. The wide angle adapter almost doubles the weight of the camera and makes it look a bit like a "ray gun."

I purchased 2 extra batteries and haven't used them much and purchased an extra 8GB card and haven't used it. I may still need them, but haven't yet.

Where I'm going with all this is to please see how you'll be using the camera before you add too much to it because it is fantastic out of the box.

Regards,
Lake

laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:47 PM   #407

Digerati wrote:
Quote:
[...]What competes directly with HD1000? [...]
As a hybrid I think the HD1000might bealone for now. Butin the"world's smallest and lightest full HD (1920x1080)"category, the closest competitors would be the dethroned previous "world's smallest and lightest full HD" title holders: the Panasonic HDC-SD7, and the previousone to that: the Panasonic HDC-SD5, bothrecording AVCHD on SDHC. (They are camcorders and not hybrids because they have 0.5MP sensors rather than a 4MP sensor like the HD1000 has; I've also read reviews stating that their stills capabilities are poor).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:38 PM   #408

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Digerati wrote:
Quote:
[...]What competes directly with HD1000? [...]
As a hybrid I think the HD1000might bealone for now. Butin the"world's smallest and lightest full HD (1920x1080)"category, the closest competitors would be the dethroned previous "world's smallest and lightest full HD" title holders: the Panasonic HDC-SD7, and the previousone to that: the Panasonic HDC-SD5, bothrecording AVCHD on SDHC. (They are camcorders and not hybrids because they have 0.5MP sensors rather than a 4MP sensor like the HD1000 has; I've also read reviews stating that their stills capabilities are poor).
Thanks - now I have some specs to compare. I have not really given stills much thought, thinking that I already have a couple still digitals - and a phone with a camera. But with a phone in one pocket, a PDA in the other,then a camcorder and a still camera too? I'm not into purses so maybe I should look at stills capabilities.

That said, I was hoping to stay a little south of $1000USD.
Digerati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:50 PM   #409

Lake,

The Audio-Technica wireless system seems like it could be useful. I'm also interested ina wide angle adapter, since the wide end of the zoom isn't very wide. And a polarizer would be nice as well.

I think you're right about not getting too carried away with accessories,as it could start to defeat the convenience afforded by such a compact camera.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:39 PM   #410

Digerati, I would concur with the statement that right nowSanyois alone at the top. The next closest competitor in the hybrid scene is the Canon TX1... whichis... well, it pales in comparison compared to the HD1000 and evento the closer-pricedHD700. I was actually pretty close to purchasingthe TX1 when I startedshopping. I strayed away from it because of the ancient video codec it is using and the general feeling I got was that, "Video is great, but it's not 'true' 720p-quality."

I waited a while, looked at the Sony CX7 and the Panasonic SD1... all the research eventually led me to this forum and the HD1000. I came to the conclusion that most important to me was portabilty. On a 50" HDTV, I could barely tell the difference in quality between the SD1 and the HD1000. The CX7 uses Pro Duo sticks which just completely turned me off. After getting some raw sample footage here, I was practically sold.
TheDayday is offline   Reply With Quote