Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:58 PM   #491

Thanks Caelum, that makes perfect sence.

ltakahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:37 PM   #492

Rajurocketman - No clue where you're located, so this may not be much help. I got my HD 1000 from JR.com here in the states. Amazon and B&H Photo also carry it; all three are reputable vendors.

Amazon and JR have a 30 day return policy; so I'd probably recommend them over B&H which has a ridiculously short 7 day return period, not enough time IMHO to figure out whether you're happy with your purchase or not.

GB cards - as long as they're from a reputable brand name, doesn't really matter. Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar, and quite a few others are out there. I have a class 4 4GB SDHC from Kingston in my HD 1000 and have had no problems with it. Cost me around 30 bucks on Amazon, with free shiping.

Batteries - that's a dicey topic. If you look at B&H, they sell an Impact brand battery for the HD 1000 that costs a LOT less than the Sanyo battery - you could buy three for the price of one Sanyo. I have absolutely no experience with Impact, googled them and it seems they are not "new" and have been around awhile. I assume Powerex and Lenmar will get in on the act at some point when sales figues climb.

I went with a second OEM Sanyo battery, but that's just me. I'm not comfortable potentially compromising a $ 800 dollar camera with a $ 20 off-brand battery made in China. The Sanyo battery core is made in Japan and the case is assembled in China.

I'd definitely spring for the 40.5 mm clear lens filter ( B&H sells a Tiffen filter for the HD 1000 for $ 10 ). On more than one occasion, having a cheap glass filter in front of the lens has saved me considerable grief with my film and Digital SLR's.

Finally, I'd probably - not definitely, but probably - spring for the external battery charger, if I could find anyplace that had them in stock. Just because I'm lazy and don't want to have to remember to switch batteries in the camera body at night. :-)
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:22 PM   #493

IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
Rajurocketman - No clue where you're located, so this may not be much help. I got my HD 1000 from JR.com here in the states. Amazon and B&H Photo also carry it; all three are reputable vendors.

Amazon and JR have a 30 day return policy; so I'd probably recommend them over B&H which has a ridiculously short 7 day return period, not enough time IMHO to figure out whether you're happy with your purchase or not.

GB cards - as long as they're from a reputable brand name, doesn't really matter. Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar, and quite a few others are out there. I have a class 4 4GB SDHC from Kingston in my HD 1000 and have had no problems with it. Cost me around 30 bucks on Amazon, with free shiping.

Batteries - that's a dicey topic. If you look at B&H, they sell an Impact brand battery for the HD 1000 that costs a LOT less than the Sanyo battery - you could buy three for the price of one Sanyo. I have absolutely no experience with Impact, googled them and it seems they are not "new" and have been around awhile. I assume Powerex and Lenmar will get in on the act at some point when sales figues climb.

I went with a second OEM Sanyo battery, but that's just me. I'm not comfortable potentially compromising a $ 800 dollar camera with a $ 20 off-brand battery made in China. The Sanyo battery core is made in Japan and the case is assembled in China.

I'd definitely spring for the 40.5 mm clear lens filter ( B&H sells a Tiffen filter for the HD 1000 for $ 10 ). On more than one occasion, having a cheap glass filter in front of the lens has saved me considerable grief with my film and Digital SLR's.

Finally, I'd probably - not definitely, but probably - spring for the external battery charger, if I could find anyplace that had them in stock. Just because I'm lazy and don't want to have to remember to switch batteries in the camera body at night. :-)
Many thanks!

I live in Bay Area, California.

Notice you use 4 x 4GB instead of 2 x 8GB or 1 x 16GB --- your thoughts.

Additionally any comments on 16GB SD cards ?

Thanks
rajurocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:18 AM   #494

Yep..I don't trust the cards to the point where I'm willing to put all my eggs in one basket. They are super reliable, but I have had issues with other memory formats, so I'd rather take the inconvenience of several smaller cards over the potential disaster of putting hours and hours of once-in-a-lifetime video on one card which then somehow goes bonkers and belly-up.

Oh, I did forget one point. Caelum probably can quote you chapter and verse, but somewhere in the HD 1000 manual ( online or in print, forget which ) there is a reference to using "fast" cards as a matter of preference. A class 6 SDHC card is faster than a class 4, which is faster than a class 2. If you're buying online, Amazon has product pictures of most of the SDHC cards they sell, where you can see a circle symbol on the card with a number in it, which refers to the speed rating. If you're buying a standard SD card, they also have speed ratings. In both cases, the faster the read/write time , the better. I believe it's measured in MB per second. So a card that transfers a higher number of MB in the same amount of time as another, which transfers less, is a faster card.You gotta dig through the specs to find that.
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:46 PM   #495

hello,

I tested the trial version of vegas movie studio with my HD1000.
I found that it is able to import 780p files but not the 1080i files. They load in the program but appear with a green striped background and cannot be played. Anybody else had the same experience?.

thanks
papagenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:04 PM   #496

jared3105 wrote:
Quote:
any of u guys tried 2 edit ur movie from sanyo hd1000 in a new quick time pro 7? is dis a good software movie editing for sanyo HD1000?
I could not get it to work with QT Pro 7. When I rendered the file I either got a file that played nothing but audio or when rendering fullHD an error.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:21 PM   #497

rajurocketman wrote:
Quote:
Many thanks!

I live in Bay Area, California.

Notice you use 4 x 4GB instead of 2 x 8GB or 1 x 16GB --- your thoughts.

Additionally any comments on 16GB SD cards ?

Thanks
Quote:
Couldn't help but chime in here. I have been using a 16 gig card (Patriot from fry electronics)since I recieved my hd1000 about 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with the performance. flawless so far and it looks like I'll get well over 2 1/2 hours full high def on the one card.
Kickaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:38 PM   #498

Hello All. I purchased my HD1000 several weeks ago. I really like the camera, but I am having some difficulties with it, some of which is due to my ignorance which I am hoping to fix.

I have recorded a football game with the camera and I can play back on my HD tv through the docking station and everything looks wonderful. I recorded it in full HD. My problem is that I need to get that video onto a DVD, obviously sans the HD.

I have Sony Vegas Platinum, which I specifically upgraded to since the lower version does not handle hi def video. I am able to copy the mp4 files off of the card onto my pc. I then learned that it was going to be very difficult to get good playback on the PC. My PC is a couple of years old. It is an AMD 64 3200+ with 3GB of RAM. The playback is not nearly good enough for editing.

So my first question is can someone give me a recommended method of getting the hi def mp4 files off of the camera's card and burned to a DVD, considering that I have Vegas Platinum? Do I need to convert the files to another format first and then edit those? If so...I did try that. I converted them to MPEG-2 and was able to edit them. However, when I burned the DVD the video displayed some kind of ghosting effect, which was completely unacceptable.

Also, would I be better off recording in the 720p mode from the get go since my current PC doesn't have enough horsepower to handle the 1080? I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but if anyone could give any help to a newbie I'd appreciate it. Also if anyone can point me to some good sources for basic information on these subjects that would be great as well. I spent all this money on this camera and if I can't figure out how to get good video burned to a DVD my wife is probably going to kill me
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:39 PM   #499

Thanks

I will go with the above recommendations.
rajurocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:14 AM   #500

welcome 2 d club coz i've got d same problem...i love d camera and everything of it but i can't edit d video and transfer it 2 a blank dvd. in my view, maybe bcoz dis AVC/H.264 is just new and we have 2 wait 4 a new software 2 b released soon! i've gota 8 months old PC dou core and windows vista 2x 250GB Hard Drive. i've tried 2 edit d movie using Uleadvideo studio 11 plus full versio...didn't work! i downloaded d trial version of sony vegas 8 platinum didn't work aswell. i bought d Quicktime player 7 pro yesterday and it's a waste of money! ....so' ill wait next yr for d new software for dis HD thing.
jared3105 is offline   Reply With Quote