Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:54 AM   #581

choavana wrote:
Quote:
I've had the camera a month now and of all the lens accessories, I would get the wide angle. The semi-fish eye isn't a look that I would use much, but the regular wide would've helped in a lot of situations I've encountered so far. Being so small and portable means that you'll end up using it in spaces and corridors much tighter than normal. The widest focal length on the camera is pretty narrow. The zoom lens will be unusable even with stabilization on. the camera is so portable that you'll hardly ever use a tripod (and when you do it looks kind of ridiculous).

The only other things that I'll end up getting for this camera are a couple of ND filters and a polarizing filter (and maybe a Tiffen ultra contrast). Overall the image is great as is and if you use the manual controls it can do wonderful stuff.
Thanks choavana! That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Can I add a request to TheTurk's? I'd love to see how to fish-eye looks too!
hagenaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:44 PM   #582

I'm sorry to report that I have no actual footage with the adapters, only opinion. I tried them out in a store when I was in Thailand last month, but did not purchase due to concerns about the quality of the glass. Over there, many of the optics and electronics are grey market and you can never be sure of what you are buying. The wide angle adapter is on my christmas list, however.
choavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:19 PM   #583

choavana wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry to report that I have no actual footage with the adapters, only opinion. I tried them out in a store when I was in Thailand last month, but did not purchase due to concerns about the quality of the glass. Over there, many of the optics and electronics are grey market and you can never be sure of what you are buying. The wide angle adapter is on my christmas list, however.
So were you looking at the Sanyo lenses or some other brand lenses?

Also, if it was the Sanyo Semi-Fisheye .45x, did it produce a circular image or was it vignetted on the corners or was the full widescreen image intact but just fisheyed?
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:59 PM   #584

TheTurk wrote:
Quote:
Guys, buy sony vegas 8. Its 1000 times better and is much faster than ULEAD!
How about Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition 8instead of Vegas Pro 8.

I cannot affort the $400+.

rajurocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:32 AM   #585

muteki65 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much,

finally I decided to avoid buying hd 1000 but now you gave me an other problem...to decide between Cg65 and Hd 700 :-)

Can I edit video made with Cg65 and is it good quality ?

I have now a jvc Gr-Dvl 200 800K pixel ccd, is the cg65 better of this one or better the Hd700 ?

I promise this is the last question.

Roberto
The CG65 has in-camera editing similar to the HD 700 and HD 1000. It is standard definition 640 x 480, but looks way better than a comparable resolution digital still camera movie mode. Since pixels aren't everything, I can't tell you whether your JVC gives you better image quality or not....you may want to buy the CG65 from Amazon and see if you like it.

I had the misfortune of having two CG65's that had lens issues, but Amazon's return policy is for 30 days so I was able to return both at no cost. I've heard from many other users that they did NOT have similar problems.

Sorry to go off thread....just wanted to respond here....

You could of course also shoot 640x480 at higher frame rates with the HD 1000, but that would be one heck of an expensive VGA movie camera compared to the CG65. The only thing you'd be gaining is some picture quality and faster lens, both of which are less noticeable on a standard TV screen anyhow.
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:53 AM   #586

it wasn't the official sanyo adapter. I believe the adapters I tried were actually intended for point and shoot still cameras. The semi-fisheye I tried was close if not exactly the same focal length (0.4 or 0.5x). I didn't notice any vignette, but I was looking at it only on the small viewfinder and not attached to a monitor. There was a bulge to horizontal lines but not enough (in my opinion) to be useful as a special effect, and too much to cut together with regular footage. To my eye it's just enough distortion on the wide end to make it noticeable. The only use for this I could think of is for shooting interiors for real estate? That way you see more in tight spaces where it would be good to make areas seem a little larger with the slight distortion. I don't know. That's just my personal opinion on fish eye.

As for vignetting in general, I bought a lens hood because the HD1000 seems to be really bad with catching flares. I get a blue dot in my footage. I ended up getting a step up ring to 49mm and using a 49mm lens hood because the 40.5 lens hood I originally bought was vignetting on the wide end. The lens hood helps some but with the giant element on this camera nothing short of a matte box is going to cure all flares.
choavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 1:24 AM   #587

IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
muteki65 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much,

finally I decided to avoid buying hd 1000 but now you gave me an other problem...to decide between Cg65 and Hd 700 :-)

Can I edit video made with Cg65 and is it good quality ?

I have now a jvc Gr-Dvl 200 800K pixel ccd, is the cg65 better of this one or better the Hd700 ?

I promise this is the last question.

Roberto
The CG65 has in-camera editing similar to the HD 700 and HD 1000. It is standard definition 640 x 480, but looks way better than a comparable resolution digital still camera movie mode. Since pixels aren't everything, I can't tell you whether your JVC gives you better image quality or not....you may want to buy the CG65 from Amazon and see if you like it.

I had the misfortune of having two CG65's that had lens issues, but Amazon's return policy is for 30 days so I was able to return both at no cost. I've heard from many other users that they did NOT have similar problems.

Sorry to go off thread....just wanted to respond here....

You could of course also shoot 640x480 at higher frame rates with the HD 1000, but that would be one heck of an expensive VGA movie camera compared to the CG65. The only thing you'd be gaining is some picture quality and faster lens, both of which are less noticeable on a standard TV screen anyhow.
As someone who's owned a CG65, HD700, and HD1000, I can say without question that the HD1000 running at 640x480 would BLOW AWAY a CG65 at the same resolution, and especially so in low light conditions. That said, I've missed the small form factor of the CG65 since the day I sold it, and it's just flat out stupid that the HD700 and HD1000 can't keep recording with the LCD shut facing inwards...
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:34 AM   #588

rajurocketman wrote:
Quote:
How about Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition 8instead of Vegas Pro 8.

I cannot affort the $400+.
Hey, I dont know about that version, I remember somebody mentioning that the pro edition does HD only but I could be wrong. Check it out or download the trial version either way SOny Vegas is the only one I found to work with the Xacti HD files properly. I have not tested Pinnacle but will do and let you know.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:18 PM   #589

Hi guys, did anybody try to burn HD files from that cam on Nero 8 ? It supports BlueRay and HDDvd formats. This person on Amazon had said:
"The oonly program that will play any HD video back smoothly is NERO 8!!! None other will work as good as this. I am using a 1.6gig single core processor and 1gig ram so you don't need a fast pc just a great program to run it and will also mantain full hd when burned to a DVD. Most other programs will drop the resolution to dv1 when burned to a DVD." BTW, good info from users of HD1000 http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending
vikajakub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:05 PM   #590

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
it's just flat out stupid that the HD700 and HD1000 can't keep recording with the LCD shut facing inwards...
I agree, this is a significant shortcoming. It would be easy for Sanyo to change this in a firmwareupdate. Has anyone checked if the new update changed this "feature" or gave a new menu option?
Outrageous is offline   Reply With Quote