Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:59 PM   #51

I have a feeling the HD1000 will be better and far better than the Casio when it comes out. I really doubt Casio is producing a lens capable of handling the advertised resolution and with no real sound options looks like a disaster. I'm sure someone else including Sony will come out with a camcorder later on with that sensor.

Since there is only a $200 difference between the HD2 and HD1000 I'd say it's well worth the difference. The GO-HD, for me at least, had serious audio problems and no mic in for alternative audio. You would probably get better results with a Kodak z812 and a tripod. If you already own a camera you can always wait for the price to fall some but at 799 I doubt it will fall much.

I think it depends on what you need the camera for. If it's to capture your kids sporting events then it's a no-brainer. 720p 60fps is what ESPN uses so for any fast moving event this is the best camera under $2k. If it's to capture HD for family events then there are several cameras out there that can do that but very few below that price point.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:11 PM   #52

Hi Generalg, since the HD1000 was just announced, is not really out yet, and we are mostly just looking at specs so far, it's difficult to make a conclusion until we get more practical info/feedback. The fact that it's using AVC/H.264 (like our CG65) is very promising, it should be quite a bit better than the HD2; but we (I) still need to seesome proof. I'm guessing Amazon's price currently is MRSP, but I don't know. The HD1000'slaunch price is actually on par with the HD1'slaunch price, and likewise its price should dropover time,but demand could drive that. Amazon usually is competitive, so keep an eye on it's price and unless you go grey market (with its risks) I doubt it will be much cheaper elsewhere as a pre-order; in fact right now it's much more expensive in Japan (lowest currently is ¥115,500 which isalmost $1000).

The thing that I like about the HD1000 besides it's AVC/H.264 video is that while I may not need full 1920x1080 resolution video at this time, it's nice to know that it's available for the future and itshould meanthat 720pand SD resolutions will be a cinch for it. Plus all of the new features sound good, again just need to see it in action.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:38 PM   #53

Thanks,

I know the HD1000 was just released... or I guess anounced. I just happen to have bought a CG6 2 days ago than found out the CG65 was/is supposably better with the AVC/H.264 so I bought the CG65 of ebay for a good deal with a 4GB card etc. Returning the CG6 to walmart now. Love the size of the CG6. Video looks good, almost as good as my old JVC 820LU mini-dv camera which continues to eat tapes, thus my main reason for finding a good camera that uses only SD to record on. No more tapes for me!

Anyhow, I hope the HD1000 is released before the end of October. Would love to use it to film on my vaction in southern California.

Also anyone know if Wharehouse123 would be getting the HD1000? I see they have good prices on camera's...

Generalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:07 PM   #54

As per Amazon (and first post in thread), release date is: October 5, 2007. Warehouse123 is based in Hong Kong, it's grey market, so no Sanyo warranty.Extra duty, brokerage fees and taxes applied at border depending on your country,check shipping costs and their return policy, it's a gamble.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 1:44 AM   #55

Anjoy, that is 60 6mp progressive frames (not interlace) an second for that prototype, so I doubt it would be h264 inter of any quality, unless the release date is further out (for development of better chips). The the processing power to edit will be an lot. However, h264 intra, the MS Jpeg standard, cineform etc are much more doable at any quality.

dvdivx wrote:
Quote:
I have a feeling the HD1000 will be better and far better than the Casio when it comes out. I really doubt Casio is producing a lens capable of handling the advertised resolution and with no real sound options looks like a disaster. I'm sure someone else including Sony will come out with a camcorder later on with that sensor.
HD1000 has the advantage, it is cheap and easy to handle for consumer video, for higher professionals, and hobbyist, the Casio would be better. Sound can be recorded on separate sound recorder. Which is why I am considering both. Though the lack of 25p and 50p modes is an real pain (and might only require an firmware update, come on Sanyo, how many times has this already stopped people in Pal countries from buying) and the Samsung (and many others) definitely looks more desirable in that respect (which is one of the, few, reasons I would buy an Samsung instead).

So, let the Sanyo festivities continue.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:16 PM   #56

Quote:
Though the lack of 25p and 50p modes is an real pain (and might only require an firmware update, come on Sanyo, how many times has this already stopped people in Pal countries from buying) and the Samsung (and many others) definitely looks more desirable in that respect (which is one of the, few, reasons I would buy an Samsung instead).

So, let the Sanyo festivities continue.

When I took my Sanyo C40 to the UK, it played back fine on a PAL TV. I have also converted the files to PAL format Video CD's which seem to play fine also, not to mention that most European DVD players are capable of playing NTSC format Video CD's anyway. PC's, of course are framerate indifferent.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 2:48 AM   #57

The xactis will play on pal tvs, the problem is when you try to convert to PAL dvd format, you get dropped frames and the video looks jerky. Most dvd players play NTSC dvds anyway so I just burn ntsc dvds. The HD1000 is another matter, have to wait for a HD burner and HD player or just buy one of those hard drive players that support H264 and HD.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:04 PM   #58

I had an look at that Clark video finally, but something seems wrong with the color. They seem an bit flat, and an bit washed. Some of the colors seem to be like their from an complementary sensor. For instance, the guitars. The latitude seems lowish (but we have seen this sort of thing on the HD1 when encoded in quick-time). Any suggestions?

Also you will notice on the IFA interview clip on the EXACTI lettering on the window, and the highlight on the car at beginning of Clark clip, broad blue flare/fringing, like an lens problem. I can say little more about the Sanyo, as my player displays the odd frame per clip (I can get one working very slowly with the Samsung).

I think the Sanyo is displaying improvement over previouse models (though I can not remember how HD2 did). 1080i would use some form of 4m pixel+ interpolation, but 720p modes could allow for pixel binning and better low light and latitude. If it is an complimentary color sensor (which I hope not, bayer is naturally better) then 720p pixel binning would be very helpful in increased color accuracy.

Had an look at the IFA interview done from the new 720p Sanyo. It looks good, no lens problems, but as with the Sanyo, the color of lighting in the auditorium is not good. I forget about what the Sanyo has, but the detail on the Samsung seems lacking) The latitude looks like it may have limits (notice the door in the background opening producing 100% burnout). But my guess, is that it will be better for low light than latitude. However, maybe outside it will kick in with some latitude tech feature. It seems to have more bit-rate too.

I can't get that train clip to work, just the odd frame in QT (but now QT 7.2 just displays green). I hope both cameras do well outside in 720p.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:19 PM   #59

Wayne, do you mean washed out like this? I personally think QT for Windows is one of the least efficient media players on the PC;unfortunatelymany open source H.264implementations also do not handlethe full HDor supportinterlaced videoat this time; Iassume this is why Sanyo is including Nero essentials. I still think it's still way too early toattempt a detail evaluation ofthe HD1000, let alone come to any conclusions,especiallybased onedited, post-processed and converted video. It hasn't even been released yet, just announced; they may even still be tweaking the firmware.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:48 PM   #60

Some very technical folks here, obviously. Can anyone tell me why the Epson P 3000/P 5000 use the full screen resolution ( 640 x 480 ) of their standalone memory banks to display all MPEG videos except for the AVC/H.264 encoded versions, which are only shown at 320x240?

I just ordered a new CG 65 that, hopefully, won't have the weird smudge/blob my previous one had. In the course of that I thought that the Epson duo might be great to actually play the Sanyo videos on their fairly large screens, and was puzzled by the half resolution limitation only for that one codec.

I can understand why the HD 1000 would overtax the Epsons . But I am getting the impression that the AVC/H.264 codec, while terrifically efficient, is too much to handle for the Epsons. Why is that?
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote