Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:22 AM   #631

I edit my video using ulead video studio plus and i've got no problem at all editing 720 30fps ..i tried 2 download d free trial of Sony Vegas 8 pro just now and i can't edit d 1080i both 30 and 60fps..i thought u r talking about editing 1080i in sony vegas 8 pro. well, if d sony vegas 8 pro can only handle 720 30-60fps i'm happy with the Ulead Video Studio Plus! i've got a video sample edited 2 Ulead Video Studio Plus.
jared3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:25 AM   #632

Sorry I should not have said 'only' software but I was mainly concerned with the HD 60fps modes. I dont think it handled 60fps mode well at all. I was testing the 720p 60fps mode and the 1080i 60fps mode. I didnt bother with the others as I would never use them.

Vegas was the only suite that even worked with 1080i but the output wasnot as smoothplaying as the original file butat least it worked and maybe an update could sort it out. Its also much more reliable and much much faster than Ulead and the on the fly editing is worthy of the price itself!!!!!. I used to useUlead all the time but since I got vegas I have not looked back. Everybody to their own though.

Anybody else any more suggestions on editing suites?
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:07 PM   #633

For the record, and as a long-time Vegas power-user, I can tell you for certain that Vegas can handle 60 or 60 drop-frame no problem. If your footage doesn't look right, then you've done something wrong. Make sure in you project settings that your frame rate is correct, and make sure when you render out to another format that your frame rate is correct. Not all codecs can handle that rate, but for the ones that can, if you ensure your project and render settings are correct, it should work fine. Now, as to whether your computer can actually play files at that frame rate without dropping frames, that a whole other story. One way to check this kind of thing is to use 60 fps for the project and the render, then render out to lower bit rate 1/2 res (640x360) WMV (or MOV if on a Mac) and see how it plays. The lower bit rate and half size using a codec like WMV should play fine on almost any computer. I'll bet your 60 fps works fine if you do that from Vegas. Also, for those who want to shoot 60fps and then do slo mo at 30 fps in Vegas, it is VERY IMPORTANT to turn off resampling when you slow the clip down 50%, otherwise you may not get clean frames.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:13 PM   #634

I am rendering to MP4 using the same properties as the original file. The output plays but it is not as fluid as the original file and slightly blurred even though I use the best resampling setting. What settings do you use?

My HD files play fine on my pc. When I render the 720p files the result is excellent but the 1080i files are just not the same as the original. Maybe it is something I am missing so if you can help that would be great.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:56 PM   #635

Just to be specific, I'm assuming you are using 720p60 for this conversation. 1080i is a different beast altogether...

Did you check to make sure your PROJECT SETTINGS are 60 fps? If you're original file is 60fps but your project is 30 fps, it won't matter that you render out to 60 fps, cause what you'll end up with is 30fps inside of a 60fps video (it'll convert you to 30 first, then double the frames during render, which isn't what you want). Also, make sure you have deinterlace set to none and the field set to progressive in the settings dialog too. If any of those three things are not set correctly, your image will suffer.

Also, did you run the EXACT test I suggested? If not, then do it! Use half res (640x360), low bit rate (under 1mbs), with project AND render settings BOTH at 60fps drop-frame to either WMV or MOV. If that plays fine then your PC can't handle playing 60fps MP4 files, which would not be surprising at all.

Try both things and report back your results.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 5:02 PM   #636

Holy Crap!!! That is some serioulsy technical testing. Turk.... it is all you. I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out.

So it sounds to me like 1080 is probably just ahead of its time. It also sounds like there are "some" options for dealing with 720 other than Vegas, but probably not as robust.

Thanks for the great responses, maybe there is some hope. I'm looking forward to hearing some other successs stories. And with Vegas, codecs were mentioned. I have installed more codecs and converters than I thought existed. Does Vegas load everything I need, or will I have to fire up a whole bunch of other crap?

While I am at it, did I mis-read the product info for Photoshop Premiere Elements 4? It sure does sell itself as working with the 1080 files from the Xacti. I have not heard of anyone having any success. Is it safe to say that I wasted $100+? Even their forums on their site say it should work.
ehphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 5:31 PM   #637

Also want to add that PE4 does not seem to even support 60fps. I am looking for somewhere to change the Setup for a new project from 29.97 to 60. Can't find it. Anyone?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 5:48 PM   #638

As I mentioned I am testing 1080i...

I tried all your suggestions and can confirm that while the clip renders (only software so far with 1080i) the result is not great. The picture is not as fluid as the original. 1080i files play prefect on my pc but it has something to do with the 60fields with the 1080i mode. The 720p 60frames mode works excellently.

If anybody else has any suggestions for 1080i with Vegas......:idea:
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:13 PM   #639

Hi guys, new member but been looking for a while.

I too bought Pinnacle 11 plus and cannot do anything with 60fps with the raw video from my HD1000

I called pinnacle multiple times and got a run around, so i called my credit card company to dispute the charges since pinnacle would not refund my money.

It burned the tech support guy on the phone when he said my PC wasn't up to snuff, (not!)and i told him it worked flawless with the trial version of Vegas. His response was "vagas is an expensive professional software" I replied with "wrong, the version i downloaded was 115$ and works fine"

anyway, have not heard from my card company yet, but i want my money back to buy the full version of Vegas.

Pinnacle 11 plus has NO SETTING options for 60 FPS anywhere in the program!!!

However, it worked good with 29fps. anytime i try anything with 60fps or the full HDit locks during rendering, and if you try to use slow motion the sound gets some spooky noises instead of sound. Stay away from studio11 until they get their act together.

On a different note, i had my camera for a month now and just sent it in for warranty repairs because the zoom in button is inop. pushing the button will not even bring up the zoom bar meter on the LCD so it seems to be a switch or connector problem and not a motor problem.
schmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:43 PM   #640

I downloaded the free version of Vegas Pro 8 and it looks pretty promising. Unfortunately, I am new to the program, so I am struggling a bit. I am trying to salvage a short 1080 clip and have followed the directions to render it accordingly. I am not sure though which "template" to select from the dropdown. The one I chose looked like it was working in the preview window, but upon playing it I got audio, but no video.

On a side note, I tried using the Premiere Elements 4 on a 720 video and it seemed to work. Seems a shame to not be able to use 1080 for videos I want to edit. I'll mess with it some more and report.