Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:15 AM   #641

Took the advice from this thread to use Quicktime Alternative to play back HD1000 clips. QA is visually better than QT 7.3 to my untrained eyes, thanks!

However, I only get voice but no video playing back clips of HD1 and C4 using Quicktime Alternative. When installing QA, it recommended to uninstall other verison of QT, so I did. C4 and HD1 clips played fine with QT 7.3, but I don't have it on my computer anymore. What can I do to make QA to play back "old" and "new" MP4/H.264 AVC files?

Please help! TIA.
Ken.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:31 AM   #642

why, is der a setting for 60fps in vegas 8 pro? i didn't see it.
jared3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:33 AM   #643

oh my...well, i will all let u know if d pinnacle studio 11 "ultimate" works
jared3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:46 AM   #644

jared3105 wrote:
Quote:
why, is der a setting for 60fps in vegas 8 pro? i didn't see it.
It depends on what you are encoding to.... MPEG2 shows 60fps selectable but MPEG4 only shows 30fps but allows you to type in 60fps.

Is there any Sony Vegas guru who can tell me how to edit a 1920x1080 60i file in vegasto render it inMPEG4 format so that the output file plays fluidly. Everything I have tried has resulted in a perfect quality but slightly jittery clip.

Iam unsure if I should be rendering at 30fps or 60fps. Vegas shows the file at 30 frames per secondbut it is 60 fields per second so what should I be rendering at to get the same fluidity as the original file?

:?
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:30 AM   #645

Hi there, I tried the free download version of Sony Vegas Pro 8.0a, no problem in import 1080i for editing. But when I tried the full version of Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 (without an 'a'), when I imported the same 1080i file, I got horizontal thick green lines across the screen (in preview window). What happened? Thanks!
syk2c11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:06 PM   #646

When using 1080i files in Vegas, if you want your project to be running in 1080i native (e.g., not converting anything), then you need to make sure you select these setting in the project settings dialog box:

1. Set "29.97" as your frame rate
2. Set Deinterlance method to "none"
3. Set the interlace field to "lower"
4. Set resolution to same as full 1080 (I forget exact number at the minute, but basically make sure it's not HDV res of 1440, but the larger full HD res)

Remember in a 1080i context, you have 60 fields per second, but that still translates to 30 frames per second, because it takes two interlaces fields to produce one frame.

Then, when rendering, if you want to keep a 1080i resolution, make sure to use similar setting in your render settings. However, if you are going to play back strictly on a progressive display, you may want to deinterlace the footage, but I digress...
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:52 PM   #647

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
3. Set the interlace field to "lower"
The field order for an interlaced video footage item determines the order in which the two video fields (upper and lower) are displayed. A system that draws the upper lines before the lower lines is called upper-field first; one that draws the lower lines before the upper lines is called lower-field first. Many standard-definition formats (such as DV NTSC) are lower-field first, whereas many high-definition formats (such as 1080i DVCProHD) are upper-field first.

(Note: Upper-field first corresponds to Even Field)
The order in which the fields are displayed is important, especially when the fields contain motion. If you separate video fields using the wrong field order, motion will not appear smooth.

This info is from Adobe and can be verified by other sources. Just do a search online for "1080i field order". If you choose the wrong field order then you most likely won't notice until you go to export your footage. People that are used to shooting standard DV need to get used to selecting upper field first when editing HD.
choavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:43 PM   #648

I take back what I said about Premiere Elements 4...It is not working with the 720s The rendering is still crappy. So far, the free version of Vegas PRO 8 is doing the rendering to avi pretty well. I am sure that I could be getting better quality by messing with my settings more, but at least it is a start. I can then import the avi into whatever I want for editing. Seems to be that Sony is way ahead of everybody else on this. I guess that brings the price of the camera to at least $1,100 after software...that is if you didn't piss away a couple hundred more before buying Vegas...
ehphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:17 AM   #649

Hey Taynt3d, thanks for the tip but when you try rendering to MP4 with the settings you list you get an error....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"When I try the same settings rendering to MPEG2 using the bluray 60i template it works very well and the results are exactly what I want, only problem is my XBOX 360 wont play MPEG2.....

TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:34 AM   #650

TheTurk, so what did you use to play your Blu-Ray 60i file? PS3 or standalone blu-ray player, which brand? which model? Thanks!
syk2c11 is offline   Reply With Quote