Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:30 PM   #61

IcelandFan, your question about an Epson product isfairly off topic (HD1000) for this thread, so if you wouldn't mind perhaps starting a new thread. This thread is for people looking for new information on the newly announcedHD1000.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:33 PM   #62

Haven't been able to find a 360 degree view of the camera. But heres a link that shows the back of it

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/..._new_hd_c.html

flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:39 PM   #63

flowbee wrote:
Quote:
Haven't been able to find a 360 degree view of the camera. But heres a link that shows the back of it
If you look at the first post, one of the first links is to Sanyo's European HD1000 siteand it hasa 360 view of the camera. Thereare also links to many photos of theHD1000 in that first post.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 8:41 PM   #64

flowbee wrote:
Quote:

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/..._new_hd_c.html
I noticed that he says it shoots 8MP stills. It doesn't even have an 8MP interpolated mode so wonder where he got that from.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:24 PM   #65

Yes, except the colors seem to look more off, that is why I mentioned the previouse playback problems of QT. Nero is an good choice. Raises the question, both from the same file, so which is the more correct playback that the camera recorded (prefer to think it is not Quick time version).

Forgot to mention that there could be an bit of proffered processing on the Clark film. It maybe an less objective test case to use. They could also be using bounce boards etc to reduce contrast and light darker areas, you notice that lighting performance does not always seem consistent.

In the IFA interview they do mention that the firmware is still being worked on, so performance maybe not be the best. Maybe they would not let the Clark people run around with quality that was too far below normal. If it is an lens issue causing the blue fringing, I hope they work that out before production.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:59 PM   #66

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I noticed that he says it shoots 8MP stills. It doesn't even have an 8MP interpolated mode so wonder where he got that from.
Yes, it's a 4MP sensor, but acording to the specs it does have an 8MP interpolated mode ( 3264 x 2448 ).
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:14 AM   #67

I just found this site a few mintues ago, they seem to have a 200 MB sample file from pre-production HD1000...

http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/sanyo-hd1000/

its the "SANY0003.MP4" link, i downloaded it but my quicktime doesn't seem to want to play it at all (got audio, but green screen all the way).

BTW, anyone know what program i can use to see the footage? media player classic, VLC, and quicktime doesn't seem to like 1080i
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:32 AM   #68

Thanks for the link ray301. I'm downloading that HD1000 sample now, but it's a s-l-o-w download... The other video shot with the HD2 (converted to Divx+MPEG audio), while not very informative,isstill interesting; and it downloaded much faster.

Right now it seems Nero Digital is your best bet for playback of these HD1000 samples on a PC; I think this is whySanyo includes Nero 7Essentials with the HD1000. You can download a 30-day trial version of Nero's Showtime software. While it's a very efficient media player, you still need a powerful enough PC, and probably a minimum spec graphics card with enough dedicated RAM to playback the fullHD HD1000 content smoothly. Edit: BTW it looks like the downloadable trial version is an older version (2), I don't know if it will play back this HD ok, but I'll mentionthat Nero Showtime is at version 3 now (part of Nero 7), and according to the product page has a 20-30% speed gain for AVC/H.264.

Edit 3: ok, as pointed out below, at this time it seems CoreAVC might be the better software codec to usefor playback of this full HD AVC/H.264 video.

Edit 2: Microsoft's Zune software is supposed to play AVC/H.264 at any resolution, but I haven't tried it (I'm assuming it'srediculously bloated like WMP11 because it has a 5MB setup file that is just a bootstrap internet installer :roll. But if anyone has a chance to test and see if the Zune software can play these samples, please let us know. I'll try to playthem on a friend'sXbox360 later to see if it can.

Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:03 AM   #69

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it's a 4MP sensor, but acording to the specs it does have an 8MP interpolated mode ( 3264 x 2448 ).
Not on the USA site it doesn't: http://www.sanyodigital.com/specifications.aspx?v=17

but to be fair it does mention it on their main site:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...000/index.html

although I do question the logic of their explanation: The CMOS sensor's 4 effective megapixels are converted to the equivalent of 8 megapixels, for more detailed images. :roll:

Anyway it's irrelevant to me whether it does or doesn't because I never use interpolated modes as it's an unnecessary waste of space.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:49 AM   #70

I just tried the trial version of Nero Showtime 2 and it plays both the train video and the 3 minute 260 MB one OK, although very slowly on my 3.0 GHz Pentium 4. Neither VLC nor MPC+ffdshow worked on this PC. I'll try it on a more modern Core 2 Duo system tomorrow.
jwunico is offline   Reply With Quote