Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:34 AM   #711

when you install it, if you right click the mp4 file you should have the option to open with media player classic, windows media player 11 is seperate.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:40 AM   #712

sonicwind wrote:
Quote:
That's true, but optimal settings for low light usage would probably be a great starting point. My guess is that outside during daylight, auto settings probably suffice for most people.
As a general rule here is where I start for low light and then fiddle as needed. Like has been already stated, if you want the best image then each situation will require it's own settings. This is just a guide and may not work for everyone or anyone.

ISO 200 or 400 (400 starts to introduce grain/noise but you will be able to tell from the image in the LCD which you need).
Movie stabilization ON
White Balance set to incandescent (for normal household incandescent bulbs. if you are shooting under halogen or CFL then it will vary based on the color temp of the lights. For all other cases I usually prefer the flourescent and cloudy settings if there is any sun or 5000+k colored light, as a personal preference I do not like the sunny white balance setting).
Focus set on standard (icon of man and mountain) with autofocus lock set to UP on the joystick. This is incredibly helpful in lowlight to lock the focus so that the camera doesn't keep adjusting. Wait till it looks sharp then flick up on the joystick. Flick up again to unlock.
Exposure set to Program. The aperture and shutter will adjust automatically.
I shoot everything in 720p for ease of editing. As you can see from the posts there are all kinds of hurdles with using 1080i right now whether you are on Mac or PC.

There is no cure all setting. use the button called FULL AUTO if you just need to point and shoot.

In low light I have found that the option to manual focus is a great tool if your camera is going to be in one place (i.e. not a tracking/dolly type shot, or in layman's terms - you won't be walking any closer or further away from the subject). Also I have my ISO set to joystick LEFT and i am still getting used to the fact that you have to cycle all the way through the ISO's using only the LEFT on the joystick. For some reason my brain, once ISO is selected, wants to hit left for a lower ISO and right for a higher ISO but the RIGHT on the joystick, for me, is set to focus options.
choavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:42 AM   #713

TheTurk wrote:
Quote:
when you install it, if you right click the mp4 file you should have the option to open with media player classic, windows media player 11 is seperate.
Damn, I get only voice but black screen in MPC... that is after QuickTime Alternative 2.1.1 was installed.Any settings adjustments?
vikajakub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:52 AM   #714

Try installing this codec: http://www.free-codecs.com/x264_Vide...c_download.htm
sonicwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:06 PM   #715

thanks bro... still no luck...voice but black screen. MPC player v. 6.4.9.1
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:15 PM   #716

I'm half joking, but did you take a movie with the lense cap on?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:22 PM   #717

sonicwind wrote:
Quote:
I'm half joking, but did you take a movie with the lense cap on?
He he , actually I wish I did:-) that woud fix my problem in no time. Nero 8 shows it fine but is is very jerky. Turk said he can play his files on MPC with codec and it is very smooth. Damn it!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:27 PM   #718

I think I saw you had updated your DirectX. I you haven't, do that. Then I would search around for the latest versions of one the free codec pack installers like K-Lite or Nimo. Another thing you can try if it's just a matter of playing them is the VLC player, another free player much like MPC, but with codecs built in, including h.264.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:09 PM   #719

sonicwind wrote:
Quote:
I think I saw you had updated your DirectX. I you haven't, do that. Then I would search around for the latest versions of one the free codec pack installers like K-Lite or Nimo. Another thing you can try if it's just a matter of playing them is the VLC player, another free player much like MPC, but with codecs built in, including h.264.
Damn, VLC shows the firs frame only and I hear sound only thru the rest of the file...DirectX updated to X10 latest. Seems like there is no codecs for VLC. Maybe vista is the problem ? Damn again.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:41 PM   #720

Well mine just came in the mail. Guess what? Out of the box, I can't play the videos on MPC or Quicktime either. I'll sort this out after work. I'm going to try VLC at work, too. I'm running Windows 2003 Server.