Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:03 AM   #771

Vegas is fast at rendering, its probably the best you're gonna get but it also depends on your pc.

Ulead was slow, Pinnacle crawled, nero was good and power director was also good.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:26 PM   #772

Hi. I've gone through most of the topic, but still have a couple of queries before I take the plunge, if someone wouldn't mind:

1. I keep reading it's 30fps or 60fps, so being in the UK, am I going to get smooth playback if I convert to a PAL 25fps DVD?

2. I downloaded a sample of 1080i video and it imported fine in to Vegas PRo 8, and I could render as another format. HOwever, editing was impossible due to a lot of frames being missed in the preview plsayback, even at 1/4 size draft! After converting to 720 everything was OK, but notperfect. Anyone esle had that experience?

For info, I have 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, Gefore 88800GTS. 1080i (or even 1080p) plays perfectly for me on my 24" monitor.

Cheers.
sfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:36 PM   #773

sfoxy wrote:
Quote:
Hi. I've gone through most of the topic, but still have a couple of queries before I take the plunge, if someone wouldn't mind:

1. I keep reading it's 30fps or 60fps, so being in the UK, am I going to get smooth playback if I convert to a PAL 25fps DVD?

2. I downloaded a sample of 1080i video and it imported fine in to Vegas PRo 8, and I could render as another format. HOwever, editing was impossible due to a lot of frames being missed in the preview plsayback, even at 1/4 size draft! After converting to 720 everything was OK, but notperfect. Anyone esle had that experience?

For info, I have 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, Gefore 88800GTS. 1080i (or even 1080p) plays perfectly for me on my 24" monitor.

Cheers.
I could be mistaken, but I haven't seen anyone that's been able to prove otherwise up until now, so I'll say it again...

I think Sanyo left you PAL folks out to dry. My understanding is that although the camera can playback to a PAL device as selected in the menu systems, it still records to either 720p30, 720p60, or 1080i60. So, that to me implies that the camera will do some on-the-fly conversion for playback to a PAL device, but although I've never actually seen it myself (live in the USA), I'm guessing it's going to look like crap considering it's 30p or 60i being converted to 25p or 50i during playback -- yuk!

That said, I could be wrong, and I haven't heard anyone else chime in on this issue, but I'd watch out for that. I wish they had just included a PAL mode, cause honestly, I'd shoot 25p or 50i every once in a while if I could just for kicks.

Also, yes, editing MP4 is a royal PITA. You aren't alone, and I'm thinking a lot of folks have no idea what they're getting themselves into with these cams when it comes to editing. In all honestly, I convert to Cineform Intermediate before any sort of big edit from these cams, that way I can edit in real time without dropped frames and even with some effects applied. It's essentially what people used to do with HDV footage, but now folks are using the same approach for AVCHD cameras (which this is not, but it's close enough to make sense in your workflow depending on how hardcore you are). Otherwise, you can edit in Vegas, just with dropped frames in the preview. Once rendered, it's fine.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:46 PM   #774

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
I could be mistaken, but I haven't seen anyone that's been able to prove otherwise up until now, so I'll say it again...

I think Sanyo left you PAL folks out to dry. My understanding is that although the camera can playback to a PAL device as selected in the menu systems, it still records to either 720p30, 720p60, or 1080i60. So, that to me implies that the camera will do some on-the-fly conversion for playback to a PAL device, but although I've never actually seen it myself (live in the USA), I'm guessing it's going to look like crap considering it's 30p or 60i being converted to 25p or 50i during playback -- yuk!

That said, I could be wrong, and I haven't heard anyone else chime in on this issue, but I'd watch out for that. I wish they had just included a PAL mode, cause honestly, I'd shoot 25p or 50i every once in a while if I could just for kicks.

Also, yes, editing MP4 is a royal PITA. You aren't alone, and I'm thinking a lot of folks have no idea what they're getting themselves into with these cams when it comes to editing. In all honestly, I convert to Cineform Intermediate before any sort of big edit from these cams, that way I can edit in real time without dropped frames and even with some effects applied. It's essentially what people used to do with HDV footage, but now folks are using the same approach for AVCHD cameras (which this is not, but it's close enough to make sense in your workflow depending on how hardcore you are). Otherwise, you can edit in Vegas, just with dropped frames in the preview. Once rendered, it's fine.
Thank for the reply. I kind of gussed that about the frame rates - I think someone mentioned a lot of pages back, but just wondered if anyone had the experience.

As for the 2nd point, I'm thinking that as nice as HD video would be, most of ti for now is going to get turned in to DVD, so I may as well go for seomthing non HD for now. Or, is converting down from HD to standard DVD going to give better results than straight standard recording?

Cheers.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:48 PM   #775

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
I convert to Cineform Intermediate before any sort of big edit from these cams, that way I can edit in real time without dropped frames and even with some effects applied.

Sorry, forgot to ask - what do you use to convert, and what is Cineform Intermediate please?

Ta.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:09 AM   #776

for me sanyo HD1000 is good enough when shooting movies in a low lite and very dark area..here r d 2 videos sample shooting in a low lite and very low lite (dark area) http://jared3105.multiply.com/video/..._december_2007

http://jared3105.multiply.com/video/...ar_16_dec_2007
jared3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 3:17 AM   #777

Hi Sfoxy, The PAL setting is only for viewing on the TV, it does not record 25fps. If you are playing files on the pc it wont make any difference but if burning to DVD then use the DVD NTSC settings as most DVD players now play both PAL and NTSC. If you convert to PAL the result will be a very jerky clip as it drops 5 frames every second and there is no real way of compensating for this. There is software that improves the conversion but why bother, its expensive and still produces a terrible result.

I am surprised you got good results when converting 1080i to 720 as the testing I did produced terrible results. The only way I got a really excellent conversion to 720 was using quicktime pro but it took near 30mins to convert a 10-15 second clip which is not acceptable.

Converting from HD to DVD will dramatically reduce your resolution and quality so if your primary goal is to burn to DVD maybe try the CG65, I had this and it worked great for DVD, again NTSC.

Anyway, hope this helps....
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:10 AM   #778

Hallo to everybody!

First: Thanks to all for this greatforum and posting so many samples. I'm new here. I hope my English is acceptable. I'm from Austria (PAL region). I hope I get my HD 1000in a few days.

Specially toPAL: Ialsowould like to have a 25/50fps-Mode. In future it's not that important as now, 'cause every TV will play PAL and NTSC.

If you have to convert tothis Frameratesit is better touse 60fps and convertto 50fps. It is not so jerky as to convert 30fps to 25. This is ovously, because the error is only a litte "jump" in 6/60 s and not one in in 6/30 s (general every sixth frame is throwing away) . I also tryed this and the result (watched on my PC) is quit good.

ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:19 AM   #779

The conversion is mainly noticable when panning or zoom or if there is movement in the shot. A fixed shot with little movement it would not be as obvious but how many shots are fixed.

Also converting takes longer so I would just stick with the 60fps/30fps NTSC mode if you can.....
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:25 AM   #780

Thank you. TheTurk, you are right. Now I testedit with more movement in a video.Even thoughconvert from 60 to 50 fps (or 60 to 25) fps is better than 30 to 25fps, it's too visible.Why bying such a camcorder and then alter it to a 100 € cam?
ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote