Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:57 AM   #851

I have a good SDHC card so I dont think its that.... anyway, I found out what the problem is, no solution but you are going to love this!!!!!

After playing around with a hex editor on the files, I found out that the files are getting overwritten but not in a way that you would imagine!

Lets sayI have 100 files on my card, files 1 to 49 play fine on cam and pc, file 50 plays half way through without sound and file 51 to 100 do not work at all.......

Half way through the first file that does not work, file number 50 on the card, the data from file number 1 on the card gets written into file number 50!!!!!! So file number 50 starts off with its header, then its data.... then during the data section the header of file number 1 appears and then data from file 1.

File number 51 then starts with some data from file 1 and then also has the header from file 2 etc etc. The actual data from file 51 onwards has been completely overwritten!!!!!!!!!

Some of the files have 2 headers in them!!!!!!!! If I delete all the information from up to the second header its plays the file but its playing data from an early file on the card.

I dont know how in heck this happened but my suspicion is that the camera got into some weird state and screwed everything up. As I mentioned before the only new thing I did was run a movie slideshow which may have some bug somewhere in the code and started overwriting files with incorrect data.....

May have been introcuded in the new firmware. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this if it kills me and then I going to send a lovely email to Sanyo......

Well done Sanyo, obviously your test department leaves a lot to be desired!

TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:21 AM   #852

Hmm, Turk what brand and size exactly of flash card did you get, and from where? :!:

The reason I say so is because that behavior sounds suspiciously like a re-programmed counterfeit flash media card. I got burned buying one on eBay despite being aware of the risk and taking extra precautions, fortunately I got my money back (a couple months later).

The way I tested it when I got it was I put it in a card reader (the camera will do fine) and uploaded 8GB of files onto it, then I tried offloading them from the reader again and compared them to the originals. The 8GB card I bought was actually only a 2GB card. The control program on the card was re-worked to use the existing 2GB and create a fictional file structure for everything else, which just went into the old bit bucket. You should have seen the threats from the eBayer who sold it to me! I had a big laugh and refused to back down, eBay froze his account (including the cash in it)and hewas subsequently banned.

So try that test and see what happens... there is a possibility that it is a faulty card, however the control program is set up to cycle through all the bits on the card equally and deactivate any memory cells that go dead so I doubt the card is faulty, I think it's just a counterfeit. :idea:
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 4:29 PM   #853

Hey Grunchy, I have a Ritec RiData 8GB SDHC lightning series, I have filled it up many times and all files worked fine, its just the once that this has happened and I am sure it is the camera. I do take your point though but I think my SD card is fine.....
Old Dec 28, 2007, 4:30 PM   #854

I am going to test my hunch and see if the slideshow function caused the problem....
Old Dec 28, 2007, 5:39 PM   #855

Check this site:

http://reviews.ebay.com/BEWARE-of-FA...00000001236200

And here'sthe full threadabout counterfeits from Steve's Digicams:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

Here's the thing, you need to think about who sold you the card, if it was some anonymous person over the internet then there's a chance it may have been counterfeit, but the sure fire way to check is described in the first link: you have to get a multi gigabyte file and copyit onto the card until it is completely filled up, and another thing to look at is the actual data transfer rate. Once the card is filled up, just copy the files back off again and compare to the originals. This only takes a few minutes to do, it really takes longer to describe the check process than actually doing it, at least with authentic flash drives -- according to the guide a counterfeit may take hours to write the files.

And that's the thing about counterfeits: they report full capacity to Windows, and they even work for awhile until the one time they get filled over their actual capacity, and then you suffer lost data. Until you do the check exactly as described, you really have no idea whether or notthe cardis authentic, just look at the pictures of the counterfeits from that first link, the packaging is extremely well done. Seriously, I think you may have been victimized.

Now the good news, after my first rip-off experience I bought another 8GB SDHC card from somebody on eBay for a ridiculous cheap amount ($40 several months ago) and it turned out to be authentic, in fact I just got back from holidays in California Disneyland with a full card of C6 recorded memories, all of which recovered just fine onto my hard drive back home. There are authentic flash deals to be had online, the only thing is to be aware that there are forgeries and when you receive the card just take a couple minutes and test it out before leaving the feedback. But even if you have left feedback, if it's a fake you can always fight to get your money back.:|
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:23 PM   #856

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, Turk what brand and size exactly of flash card did you get, and from where? :!:

The reason I say so is because that behavior sounds suspiciously like a re-programmed counterfeit flash media card. I got burned buying one on eBay despite being aware of the risk and taking extra precautions, fortunately I got my money back (a couple months later).
I agree that this is a very likely possibility. The file problem described sounds very much like file allocation table corruption symptom, which I think with a counterfeit card would be a strong possibility, but could happen with a normal card, too. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be likely there is any fix for the existing files, and after formatting the card no way to fix the FAT. On the bright side, I doubt this has anything to do with the camera itself.
sonicwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:34 AM   #857

Hey Guys, I bought my card from a reputable dealer who I have bought all my cards and cameras from and I never had any problems. To be sure I even did as you suggested and the card works fine, I copied just near 8gb of info onto the card and then copied the files back to my HDD and they all worked fine. It only took a few minutes to write the files too which suggests it is not a fake. I am sure it is not the card.....
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:27 AM   #858

The Turk!

Now I can tellnearly the same. Normaly I use an extra cardreader to read and write to the Card. No problems.

Today I used my HD1000 as a cardreader: Reader, yes. No problems. But I wanted to delete a picture on the cam usingthe pc. Then the pcbecame stuck (no Operation was possible in winfile until I plugged of the USB-cable after a minute).

"Everyrecording after and included the deleted file wasnot readable anymore. Not by the cam and not by any other cardreader."

Fortunately I only lost 4 not important pictures.

I tried to reproducethis situation. I formated the card in the cam. Camas a cardreader.Tried to copy a file (picture from acam) from thePC to the DCIM100SANYO-directory same situation. PC became stuck. After all, when I turned on the cam again, there was a file (name of the picure and a "?" on a blue screen ,same colored as an audiofile).

I cannot delete or copy anything to the card, when the cam is the cardreader.

I have "transcend 2GB" very fast (150x) normal SD card. A very common and has good reviews. Never had any problems before with it (18 month!!).

With other 1 GB Card "extrememory performance"(133x) I had the same problem.
ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:13 AM   #859

Audio quality again:

Today a had the possibility the test another HD 1000. Same audio noise recording quiet situations as on my cam. Same internal noises (autofocus and if in manual focus you can hear something like a fan oder "sparks", I wrote about it). My HD1000 is obviously a normal one.

I send an email to sanyo.de, when I get an answer, I will tell about it.

Has someone experience wiht the external mic Sanyo VCP-MP01?

ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:00 PM   #860

Hi.

This is my 1st post.

May I know if anyone tried the Transcend 16GB Class 6 SDHC cardin the HD1000?

Does it work?

Thanks.
vacuum is offline   Reply With Quote