Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:28 PM   #861

Hello all,

I'm a new member, and have owned my HD 1000 for about 2 weeks. I have a few points to discuss.

First to ddchesser; on the flip side of the main manual that came with your camera, on page 12 there is section :"Cautions when using as a card reader". The first point listed says: "Do not alter files or folders in your camera in any way. Doing so may result in your camera not recognizing that data." Also, at the very bottom of the same page it reads: "If the folders, file names, or their configuration is modified using a personal computer, it will be impossible to play back the files using the camera, and the camera may not operate properly." I don't know if this info applies in your case, but I thought I'd mention it.

Now for some info that may be useful to others:

Were it not for this forum, I would have returned my camera within the first few days of owning it. Except for the mediocore auto focus and image stabilization I was very happy with this camera. No delicate mini dvd burner or hard drive to fail. No tapes that can only be playedusing a camcorder. Small size, flash memory, simple to use, and prettygood optical results. I loved it right up until I attempted to burn a DVD with the included Movie Factory 5 software. It took 2hours and 9 minutes to render a 4 minute video clip!!! The clip was only 720 by 30fps. I'm sure thatmanybuyers who don't read this forum will be returning their HD 1000s because of the pathetic software included.I'm certainly not a power user by any means. In fact, I actually like the simplicity of the Movie Factory 5 software.I don't edit, and only needed to burn my videos to dvd.I got it to work only once, as mentioned above. When I tried to render 25 minutes worth of video, (which I expected to take about 12 hours) it did not work at all. I started to pack the camera back in it's box for return when I found this forum. I read all 43 pages. I have had good success with the following recommendations that came from this forum:

DownloadQuicktime Alternative 2.2.0. If I remember correctlythis downloadcame with CoreAVC 1.6.0.0and Media PlayerClassic version 6.4.9.1. I tried to install CoreAVC, butwhen Iuse Control Panel to look at my video Codecs, I can't tell if it's installed or not. These programs allowed me to view HD 1000 videos smoothly on a Pentium 4, 3Ghz machine.

As far as being able to burn DVDs, I downloaded a trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinumversion 8.0c.It's much cheaper than Vegas Pro 8. The non-trial version is about $100.With this trial version you will also need to download a trial version of Sony DVD Architect Studio 4.5. The latter does the actual burning to DVD. With thissoftware I have been able to burn 1080 by 60 and 720 by 60 clips to the same DVD with no problems. The 4 minute clip mentioned above, only took about 8 minutes to render. The DVDs play on my DVD player hooked to my 52 inch Full High Def Sharp LCD tv with no problem.Of course the DVDs don't look as sharp as when I hook the HD 1000 to the TV via HDMI, but they look better than I expected!

I have been using a class 2 SanDisk SDHC 4GB card that came with a SDHC card reader. I bought the card at Circuit City. The class 2 card seems to work just fine. When I download to the computer, I use the card reader. It's faster than using the docking station.

One final point. I must really love this camera to put up with so much crap in order to get everything to work correctly. I'm about 80% sure I'll keep it. This is coming from someone who has returned 5 other cameras in the past 6 weeks, including a Sanyo HD 2. All cameras seem tobe a compromise. It seems this onemay be the best compromise for me. Thanks everyone for all the help your previous posts were to me.

Edit update: I did not get CoreAVC with the Quicktime Alternative download. I got it at http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Codec.htm I downloaded Codec 8.2 build 3.

tudarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:07 PM   #862

Thanks a lot, tudarite.

I have a german manual, I didn't find the point.I am very used to card readers. Therefore I didn't take care.Faster and no problems to read and write, from now on I only will take my card reader.

I also think, the cam is a good compromise, as you mentioned, with it's weaknesses. Yesterday I went for skiing, the wintersun was shinning, the video clips are like an promotion of a first class skiing area.

Did you make a software update yet? I see you have also only "small cards".

ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:10 AM   #863

thanx 4 d tips! so, d vegas 8 (platinum version) works with sanyo HD1000? just wondering if d platinum version can handle 1080i video clips?
jared3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:48 PM   #864

Just read from a forum in Japan that someone had used an A-Data 16GB Class 6 SDHC successfully in HD1000!
vacuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:11 PM   #865

Hi All!

I was wondering if the Hd1000 can take slowmotion footage somehow with the 60fps? has anybody tried? Id love to know how its done if its possible!

Also, after the right codecs are downloaded, a great browser for your shots
wether stills or vids is picassa, from google. Its a great totally free photo organising and sharing program for pc/mac. very google, meaning fast simple and thorough.
I havent been succesfully able to share vids yet through their online sharing, but the pictures works really nice, and best of all is that you get a gig for free. If you have a gmail account you can use that account for picassa!

thanks to all in this very informative forum!
beta-max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:24 PM   #866

ddchesser wrote:
Quote:
Did you make a software update yet? I see you have also only "small cards".

If you are referring to the firmware update, I have not. I was waiting to see some feedback from those who have tried it. I think The Turk might have installed the firmware update. Turk, have you had any more problems with your HD1000. Did you decide to keep it?

For now the 4 gig cards seem to be the best value. Plus, I like the redundancy factor in case a card fails.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:30 PM   #867

jared3105 wrote:
Quote:
thanx 4 d tips! so, d vegas 8 (platinum version) works with sanyo HD1000? just wondering if d platinum version can handle 1080i video clips?
jared,

The Platinum version did work to render a 1080i clip. I did not edit the clip, so I can't speak to that.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:00 PM   #868

beta-max wrote:
Quote:
Hi All!

I was wondering if the Hd1000 can take slowmotion footage somehow with the 60fps? has anybody tried? Id love to know how its done if its possible!

Also, after the right codecs are downloaded, a great browser for your shots
wether stills or vids is picassa, from google. Its a great totally free photo organising and sharing program for pc/mac. very google, meaning fast simple and thorough.
I havent been succesfully able to share vids yet through their online sharing, but the pictures works really nice, and best of all is that you get a gig for free. If you have a gmail account you can use that account for picassa!

thanks to all in this very informative forum!
Low cost version:
Make a 60fps-Movie. Convert it with Mp4Cam2AVI* (Freeware) to an*.avi file. There it is possible to edit it with VirtualDub* (freeware). In VirtualDub you change the source framerate to the half size (for example). See Attachment. You also can take an other framerate. Theoutput video has then this framerate.

Compress the file ( with no audio, audio makes no sense ) with the codec you want.

*)You have to be used to this programs.

Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:11 PM   #869

tudarite wrote:
Quote:
For now the 4 gig cards seem to be the best value. Plus, I like the redundancy factor in case a card fails.
Yes. But you should have one 8 GB-card for software updates! I haven't yet. Also fine is an little cardreader, like from sharkoon: Flexi-Drive CX+ (+!!! for SCHC). I have it on my bunch of keys that I can use my SD-cardsas memory sticks also. Only cost a few € or $.

Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:57 PM   #870

ddchesser wrote
Quote:
Yes. But you should have one 8 GB-card for software updates!
It's 8mb that's required for the firmware update, not 8gb.
sonicwind is offline   Reply With Quote