Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:35 PM   #81

I'm dying to know more about the audio section of this thing. I see it has an external microphone jack, looks like a mini, so requires an adapter to get it back to 3.5mm. That kind of sucks, but better than no jack at all. However, I was under the impression that the HD2 had a similar jack (I own a CG65, never used an HD2), but there are no controls over the levels whatsoever. So, that's my main question, I'd be sooooooo happy if this thing had some menu controls over audio levels or modes (like an AGC mode or a manual mode, and when in manual, you could adjust the levels yourself). That's probably too much to ask for right now, but here's to hoping...

Also a little curious about what I thought I read somewhere about "wireless" mic capabilities. Or am I making that up, I thought I saw that somewhere.

The other thing is, I'd like to shoot in 1280x720p30 mode, but it's too bad you can shoot in that mode at the full 12 mbs rate that the 1080i60 mode has. I'd rather have the smaller, progressive resolution but at the same bit rate. Looks like I'd be stuck at 9 mbs in that mode though. Too bad...

Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:43 PM   #82

plizzzzzz could you help me guys ?
Question of STORAGE !!!

I'm happy owner of the XACTI CA65
I'm going 3 week's in holiday with my 2G SD card (extrem 3 :20méga/seconde transfert ;-)

I NEED NOW A PORTABLE HARD DISK !!!

DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE IN THESE PORTABLE HARD DRIVE STORAGE ?
I'ts a jungle for me !!!
ARE THEY ALL COMPATIBLE MP4 H264 ???

I found this XS-DRIVE 2 SMART 2300:
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/xsdrive2smart/index.htm

any advices or infos WELCOME ;-)

(( THANK'S FOR REPLIED and sorry for wrong topic ))
anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:42 PM   #83

I thought about getting one of these but the cheapest I saw was around £90 (i think it was a similar model, if not the same). I can get a 4GB SDHC for £17.99, so 3 x £18 = £54 for 12GB which would be a better bet as if one card goes faulty you haven't lost all your stuff, where as if the hard drive goes faulty in that device or you lose it then all your photos and film has gone. I agree you can hold alot more with a 2.5inch hard drive.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:53 PM   #84

anjoy,please try to keep this thread on topic (the HD1000), please start a new thread if you have other questions not directly related to the HD1000.

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
[...]The other thing is, I'd like to shoot in 1280x720p30 mode, but it's too bad you can shoot in that mode at the full 12 mbs rate that the 1080i60 mode has. I'd rather have the smaller, progressive resolution but at the same bit rate. Looks like I'd be stuck at 9 mbs in that mode though. Too bad...
Well according to the specs,the HD1000alsohas a mode called "HD-HR: 1280 x 720 (60 fps/12Mbps)", basically 720p/60. But again, AVC/H.264 is very efficient, consider that most of the 720p videos at Apple's H.264 HD Gallery all have less than 7Mbps bit-rates.

Oh, and yes, as I wrote in the first post, Sanyo did introduce the HM-W300wireless microcrophone accessory in Japan (see Impress Watch page near bottom for photos), but it's unclear if it will make it out of Japan.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:36 PM   #85

Thanks for posting the link to my sample and my interview with the Sanyo representative at IFA: http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/sanyo-hd1000/

I've been filming all my videos from IFA using the Sanyo HD2, http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/?year=2007 , and it's been very practical compared to using my Sony HC1 HDV camcorder like I did for the past two years. I was just copy and pasting the 9mbit/s Mpeg4 .mp4 which I could simply re-encode to Internet usable 720p DivX and upload also copies to sites such as Youtube and Dailymotion. I will upload a review that I did of the HD2 tomorrow.

The HD1000's 12mbit/s 1080i H264 codec seeems more complicated to use, since you need to install QuicktimeAlternative and pay for CoreAVC codec if you want to play the video legally. Which makes the file I think more of a pain to use compared to the Mpeg4 720p of the previous model.

But it seems video quality may be the most important factor, and the optics, low light, steadyshot, focus probably also colors, and other automatic light settings may have been improved which makes the HD1000 I guess a better choice. Especially the HD1000 looks really beautifull and feels great. I think one looks impressive when holding it, the design of it is great.

Though if the HD2 goes down in price when the HD1000 is released, if it will be found at lower then 400€, maybe even as low as 300€, then I guess that the HD2 stays a great Mpeg4 720p option.

So one thing I wonder is this, will we ever see a Mpeg4 720p camcorder with optimized VBR encoder so that an Internet ready bitrate of 4mbit/s can be output? I would find it great if a camcorder could provide both H264 and Mpeg4 in the settings, as well as modulate the bitrate from Internet ready 4mbit/s to best quality 12mbit/s. 1080p24 1080p25 and 1080p30 would be nice also wouldn't it?

Does anyone know which is the chip that Sanyo uses, and if there is a chance that some competitor or that Sanyo would make a lower cost camcorder? I'd like the optics and the quality of the Sanyo HD1000 with the bitrate and the price of the Aiptek AHD200..
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:42 PM   #86

Charbax wrote:
Quote:
[....]Does anyone know which is the chip that Sanyo uses[...]
Thanks for posting/sharing the news from IFA, and the HD1000 sample video.

Not sure what/how manychip(s), but Sanyo does write this on it's web page, alluding to it's own new EV2M chip in the HD1000: "To enable high-speed processing of the large volume of full HD data, Sanyo developed the new high speed processing engine. The new high speed processing engine fits onto a single chip, rather than the usual two chips, and is fully compatible with the H.264 codec. It achieves a high compression rate by optimizing the functioning of the image-processing algorithm. At the same time, its low power consumption of 4.2 W enables about two hours of continuous shooting with the included battery."

[align=center][/align]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:49 PM   #87

Great job !!!

but.. i can't read it in original format ;-///

Is it my graphic card not able for full HD ???

or CODEC MISSING in QUICKTIME ????

Gratulation for BLIP.TV who seem's to be the only website who let the possibility to upload ORIGINAL FILE !

anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:59 PM   #88

To play it back I followed the instructions on this thread so I installed QuicktimeAlternative which seems to be the same as Media Player Classic and then also the CoreAVC codec needs to be installed:

http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_15760657.html
http://www.coreavc.com/

CoreAVC costs $8 to be bought legally, since that H264 decoder doesn't come included for free with Windows or something like that.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 9:04 PM   #89

I should have recorded a sample with the 720p60 and 720p30 modes to compare.. Cause I wonder which mode will be best, 720p60 or 1080i both at 12mbit/s..

And I wonder if there are any H264 native video editing software, or at least some ways to join and cut the H264 files directly from that camera and save the output file without re-encoding anything. Just as I can with HDV using Womble Mpeg Editor, Pinnacle or Ulead. Also I wonder if there are some easy to use solutions to encode H264 to DivX for example. Cause it doesn't seem Virtual Dub supports H264 for example.

None of the AVCHD camcorders from Sony and Panasonic seem to want to shoot 720p, why don't they. Is 720p better than 1080i. Which is best, this Sanyo, Samsungs 720p50 or the AVCHDs. And will anyone use the same chip as in the Aiptek and provide some better optics and sound recording than on the Aipteks. Lots of questions..
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:33 PM   #90

Yeah, a 24p mode would be sweet! You get a film frame rate, smaller file size, and better low light performance (shutter open longer at 1/24).

One of my main concerns is being able to edit. I'm willing to re-encode in order to be able to do a full non-linear edit with effects, fades, multi-cam, titles, etc. Right now I can edit my CG65 3mbs 640x480p30 footage in Sony Vegas perfectly.

Also, it's interesting what you say about the HD2 because I think I might still shoot in 720p30 mode at 9mbs on an HD1000 if I owned one.

I'm dying to know if there are any audio controls in the menu. I have high hopes, but I'm not very confident it'll happen.

I'm also interested in seeing more of what that f1.8 lens looks like. That might be a nice bump from the HD2 all by itself!
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote