Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:15 AM   #951

New firmware is fine, you might not notice any difference though.....
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:25 PM   #952

heatwave3 wrote:
Quote:
I would also like to thank those that have posted information to this forum. It has been most helpful although I still have some issues with burning DVDs from 1080i files I've recorded on my HD1000.

First some recent experiences from a family vacation I took over the holidays to Costa Rica. The camera turned out to be excellent. Picture quality and video quality exceeded my expectations however I did need to use features like the shortcut keys to address focus-lock, and ISO settings to get the best pictures. I was really surprised by the quality of the still photos for a 4 megapixel camera.

I used an 8GB card and took over 350 pics and nearly an hr of video clips. I had a backup battery and backup card although I never needed to use the backup card. I did switch batteries but there was still at least a 1/4 charge still left when I switched. I had a travel charger so I could charge one battery while I was out with the camera. The travel charger also allowed me to leave the docking station at home. (I bought the charger and extra battery asa kit on Ebay.)

The pictures also look great on a 15" HD digital picture frame I received for Christmas. Its a great way to show the still pictures as a slide show. Unfortunately even though the LED Picture Frame has speakers, it does not have the codecs to show the 1080i video from the trip.

I attempted to transfer the video and pictures to standard DVDs. I figured I would put the picutures on one DVD for showing slide shows and I would have to split the video clips into 2 DVDs to get them to fit (they were recorded at 1080i). I attempted to use the ULEAD software that came with the camera. While it is rather rudimentary, it would have met my basic needs for rendering a movie out of my clips and burning it to a DVD. Unfortunately after running for 30 hours it failed.

I have to say that I am somewhat confused after reading all the posts as to which software has actually been used to tranfser the mpeg4 files produced on the HD1000 and rendered/burned the movie to a standard DVD. I don't need alot of editing capability. Just need to produce a title slide, some menus and join the clips into a single move, with a few Chapters. If someone could take another shot at explaining the best approach/software it would be greatly appreciated.

As an aside, I am able to clearly view my 1080i video clips on my computer (2.8Ghz Pentium D with 3GB Ram) using Windows Media Player and the latest Codec downloads that were shared on this forum. The videos on my computer are very smooth and impressive. Now if I could only burn that same quality video to a DVD for display on my TV. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks
People here mentioned Sony Vegas as the only option for editing and burning HD1000 1080i files.
vikajakub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 3:12 PM   #953

Has anyone found where it says the Ulead software provided with the HD1000 cannot burn DVDs when the video files were captured as 1080i? To date, I have been unsuccessful in burning normal DVDs with this software from 1080i files. Am I doing something wrong or does Sanyo tell the buyer that this software doesn't work with their own files? My computer meets the minimum standards outlined for the software however the process has failed twice after trying to burn video to DVDs.

I took a look at the Vegas software and it is far more complex than I need (or than I have the time to learn). I simply wanted to render & burn the video files to a DVD so other family members can view them on their own home DVD players. All I need is an upfront menu and a handful of chapters on the DVD.

The Ulead software is exactly what I need....if only it worked. Its simple, joins clips together, allows for simple menus and is suppose to be designed to burn HD1000 clipsto DVDs. Has anyone had any success in using the software supplied with the camera to transfer 1080i video files to a DVD? All the packaging says that the software is designed to do exactly what I need it to do, unfortunately its not working. Is this false labeling or is there some fine print that says the Ulead software cannot burn DVDs from 1080i? Any insight would be appreciated.
heatwave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:44 AM   #954

This is my first post. I've been using the HD1000 for about 4 weeks and have pretty good luck editing 1080i in Premiere CS3. I requires a conversion step first but it then works rock solid. In case there are any other premiere users.
robpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:19 AM   #955

Hey RobPowers, how did you convert? What exactlydid you do?I had no luck with premiere elements at all....
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:10 AM   #956

Hello.

I owe a Sony DSC-M2 hybrid camera...I am very pleased,by the video it shoots,but the only problems i have is the ergonomic design,the low light performance and the image stabilisation(it hasn't).

I am thinking of buying the HD1000,and i wonder if someone had the DSC-M2,if he can make a comparison...Of course you cant compare a High definition camera with DSC-M2 that shoots 640 X 480 ...But except this...Does the HD1000 have better picture quality and low light performance than DSC-M2?..Even slightly better?Especially in the "video mode"?

Should iupgrade to HD1000?Or there are so little difference that doesn't worth?

Thank you in advance...

djdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:18 AM   #957

Well here's a short shot in room lighting with the HD1000-
http://www.stevenunez.com/hosted/bikerear.mov
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:19 PM   #958

SteveNunez wrote:
Quote:
Well here's a short shot in room lighting with the HD1000-
http://www.stevenunez.com/hosted/bikerear.mov
Awesome!
djdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:27 PM   #959

TheTurk wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys, check this out, its quite funny. It demonstrates the badpoints of electronic image stabilization. The camera usedis the HD1000 too....

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/mcfa0086/dis...ne/098974.html

Here's a 38-sec Youtube clip, shot with the Xacti XD1000 mounted on a Merlin stabilizer. The notes don't say whether EIS was on or off. But I'm guessing EIS would be superfluous with the Merlin. You can see how smooth and shake-free the image is, as he walks across the room to the bookcase midway through the clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6M6PEkpfiic

Ironically, the $800 Merlin stabilizer costs more than the Xacti. But it seems like a killer combination with a 10-ounce camcorder. Basically, the small camcorders need more mass to stop the shakes, even if you just mount them on a steel bar without the gimbal.
altmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:16 PM   #960

heatwave3 wrote:
Quote:
----------------------------------------------snipped--------------------------------------------

The Ulead software is exactly what I need....if only it worked. Its simple, joins clips together, allows for simple menus and is suppose to be designed to burn HD1000 clipsto DVDs. Has anyone had any success in using the software supplied with the camera to transfer 1080i video files to a DVD? All the packaging says that the software is designed to do exactly what I need it to do, unfortunately its not working. Is this false labeling or is there some fine print that says the Ulead software cannot burn DVDs from 1080i? Any insight would be appreciated.
heatwave3, I called Sanyo to explain that the Uleadsoftware that comes with the camera does not work correctly. They acted like they had never heard ofthis. Iasked for a partial refund to pay for the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 that actually does work.The customer service person said they had never ever heard of Sanyo giving a partial refund.After several minutes of lip service, I asked to speak with thecustomer service manager. He was "on the phone", so I would be welcome to leave a voice mail. Instead Igave the person my name and phone number. I expected a call back that day from the manager. Didn't happen. Being the persistant person that I am, I called back two days later. This time the customer service rep said that Sanyo really only sells the camera; and that the software is really just kind of an extra. I said, that's funny, it doesn't say on the side of the box, or on your website that the software doesn't work, or that it is an "extra". I paid for a camera AND software! Again I requested to speak to the manager. Iwas connected to his voice mail. So,this time I did leave a voice mail, and left my name and numberagain. That was on Jan 2nd. As of today, still no call back from him. So, I feel if we will have any hope of Sanyo pressuring Ulead to fix the software, (and hopefully offering a freeupdate)everyone who is having problems with the Ulead software, should notify Sanyo. I just happen to have the number: (818)-998-7322. I believe this is in California. Justsay you want to speak with someone about the HD1000 camcorder, and the software that comes with it. Ifeveryone calls, Sanyo can no longer claim they don't know about this problem. I would much prefer to use the Ulead software due to it's simplicity. It just doesn't work correctly. I intend to call at least one more time. I will ask to speak to the customer service manager's boss.

edit: I didn't put the smiley face over part of the phone number. I must be an automaticcommand anytime a phone number is posted. You can get the full phone number on page"i" at the front of your manual.

tudarite is offline   Reply With Quote