Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:22 PM   #981

Big Pete wrote:
Quote:
altmachine wrote:
Quote:
Ironically, the $800 Merlin stabilizer costs more than the Xacti. But it seems like a killer combination with a 10-ounce camcorder. Basically, the small camcorders need more mass to stop the shakes, even if you just mount them on a steel bar without the gimbal.
I wonder, how good do you think the chances are of being able to cheaply make some cheap DIY-contraption for stabilization purposes?
Preferably one for placement in front of your chest during downhill skiing or on a bicycle ride. Any imprivement regarding camcoder motion would IMO be worth the weight and bulk penalty, if I use a car anyway to close to where I would commence the video shooting.
I've seen rigid homebrew stabilizers made from pipe, with a handle and a weight on the end -- the idea being simply to increase the moment of inertia (resistance to sudden turning). Here's one made by Johnny Lee. I think this would help a lot, for a lightweight cam such as the Xacti:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

The Merlin is costly because it has a precision, 3-axis gymbal bearing, as well as counterweight and camera plate adjusters. These parts are probably too complex for DIY.

But I'm not sure whether either type of stabilizer would help you for skiiing and biking. Those sports are more suitable for helmet cams, aren't they?
altmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:44 AM   #982
zod

vikajakub wrote:
Quote:
Hi - great info. Can you give me some hint about Editing in Nero 8? Are you using NeroVision option? Can you maybe put here few steps how to grab video from the card, simple edit (merge files), add sound and save- so it is easy to follow? Many thanks :-) Nero is not the easiest thing I tried...
Will try to describe howi made a short home video fm HD1000 1080i footage in a very short time with Nero8.

I put my Transcend 8gb card in my Transcend SDHC card reader. This very small card reader goes into a USB 2.0 port and will beseen by the PC as an external drive. The HD1000 footage can be copied to a map on the PC harddisk now. Easy and fast.

Start Nero Vision5. Choose "Make Movie" (or "Open Saved Project or Disk Image" for a project youalreadyhave been working on).

Import the 1080i footage fm the PC harddisk with the "browse for media" button. I use the "browse" function, not the "browse and add to project" function. You can seethefiles under the tab "my media files". From there you can drag them to the Video Track in the desired order. Merging is not needed. When you finally export or burn the edited video it will be done automatically.You canleave the files you dragged to the Video Track unchangedor you can tellNero what part(s) of a file should be used by using the start and end markers and the cut function (to cut out unwanted parts). Hard to describe how to do this exactly (i'm not english), just try and you will see how flexible and easy this is. Offcourse you candragthe samefile to the Video Track more than once and use asmall part ofit on that spot.

All kind of sound files can be used by dragging them to the audio1 or audio2 track. You can import them to "my media files" in the same way as a video file. Audio files can also be shortened or cut.

If you want Text Effects, Transitions (nice crossfade!) or Video Effects look for them under their tab and drag them to the storyboard or timeline.

Don't forget to push the save button now and then! When you are satisfied with the result, export or burn like i described before.
zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:18 AM   #983

Thanks a lot Zod, your English is very good
vikajakub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:51 PM   #984

altmachine wrote:
Quote:
But I'm not sure whether either type of stabilizer would help you for skiiing and biking. Those sports are more suitable for helmet cams, aren't they?
On the subject of helmet cams - a fellow paraglider pilot told me, that the Xacti is suitable as a helmet cam. I had intended to ask him, but I might as well ask here:
How do you manage, when you cannot shoot video with the screen closed?
Do you put a little something in between to have it almost shut, or what?

I myself would not want to record every head movement but rather shoot video from in front of my chest, but I'd still rather have the display closed than folded out then...
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:33 AM   #985

I tried the HDV codec but when I open it back in Vegas or Premiere, the footage has what look like green interlaced lines through the footage :sad:
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:37 PM   #986

I've been frustrated with focusing issues on Sanyo HD1000 ever since I got it, but I kept the camera. Just now I got TX1 to try out and while indoor videos exhibit a lot of noise, it doesn't have any issues with focusing. I am actually impressed with auto focus on TX1 and the form factor... Hoping for some updates for either camera that will address focusing issue and noise without increasing form factor!
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 6:11 AM   #987

Hi,

i got my hd1000 (as a secondary, private / traveller cam) and there are some questions about editing the MP4s.

I'm using Vegas 8 (for home), Adobe Premiere with AE and Final Cut (at my work) for editing videos since 2005 and nowadays i'm using a Sony HDR-FX1 as source and Sanyo is my first SDHC camcorder. I just noticed while 1080i m2t has no problem with the editing in speed (Sony's HDV tape), the mp4's really annyoing on my home machine. I would not have thought that it won't be realtime preview because of the mp4. So, if i'd like to edit in real time first i have to convert my hd1000 mp4's to mainconcept m2t (the size no problem in this case) or to lossless avi (1 min = 1 gig and no big difference in quality with m2t, IMO) to work flawlessly. That's not so good because i have to convert an already converted file to another format and i get loss in video quality.

So what's your opinion? Mainly i'm using Vegas so if you have options what codec should i use with what parameters to edit the videos in real time, no dropframes. Avi and mpeg files still ok for me, no problem with the size and speed in the editor, but what are the best paramaters to encode the mp4s to with no big quality loss? Or is there any other codec which can handle the mp4's in editor fast? Yet, i'm using the k-lite codec pack and don't know what h.264 codec is it using.

I have home PC with the following parameters but in MP4 there are many droped frames in the editor (but not in the players): Vista with AMD X2 6000+, 4GB RAM (because Vista 32bit it see only 3,3GB), HD2006XT and don't understand why mp4 is droping fames in editor (okay the sÃ*stem should decode it first) while avi or m2t works flawlessly.

The sources i'm using are the 1080/60i and trying the 720/60p,30p. The 720 ones are almost good at speed (still dropping down frames but not so many) but in quality these are not the best so i'd like to use the 1080 one even if there is no much difference in quality.
re-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:03 PM   #988

Sounds like you are having same issue as mine except for me i thought it was 6 month old hardware, but now seeing your post i am not going to upgrade my pc.

I also use Sony Vegas Pro 8b and klite codec pack, 720p videos play fine in players but when editting in Vegas I get low frame... btw I tried PowerDirector 6 and even that handled HD files...
Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:43 PM   #989

Editing in real-time with MP4 AVC H264 is not going to be easy if even possible without serious hardware (note HARDWARE). This is very similar to the way HDV was in the beginning (M2t as you call it, aka MPEG2). Over the years, Vegas has become very adept at editing HDV natively, which is why you experience better performance with M2T files. However, MP4 has a much more hardcore compression scheme, and as such is even more difficult to edit in real time than even MT2. To make matters worse, the technology/codecs are relatively new, and support isn't wide spread, which is why a lot of folks recording to hard disk via AVCHD are having the same types of problems editings (AVCHD is basically the same thing as the MP4 files recorded by the HD1000, not exactly, but basically yes).

So, you have two choices. Live with the slow frame rates during the edit or work in an "intermediate" format. There are some things you can do if you want to work in the native file format. For starters, turn down quality in the preview video pane, use a smaller size and a lower quality level, that will increase frame rates (a little). The other thing you should make sure of is that your project settings are consistent with the native HD1000 format (e.g., make sure you've set the resolution, interlacing, audio, etc. to the EXACT same settings as the HD1000 records). If you don't do that, then Vegas is actually converting things on-the-fly as you edit, which slows it down. Next, if you want to go with an intermediate workflow, HDV or M2T is NOT the way to go -- it's a lossy process and you lose quality over multi-generations, not to mention it's not designed for the task. That said, Vegas comes built in with the CINEFORM codec, which can be found under AVI and usually has the work "intermediate" in the preset. You can verify the codec by clicking on custom and inspecting what codec is specified. Cineform, although not lossless, is designed from the ground up as an intermediate, and it's sole purpose is for editing with the intent to render out again. It was, for a long time, the preferred workflow for HDV when that couldn't be edited in real-time. It also renders very quickly relatively speaking.

Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:50 PM   #990

thanks for your reply. I still don't get why basic software such as Cyberlink PowerDirector 6 handles HD1000 files just fine out of the box?

Also, can you tell what are default settings (or recommended) for HD1000 in Vegas Pro?