Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:14 AM   #1

I recently moved to Japan (Nagoya) and I just purchased a CG65. Unfortuntately the Japanese model I purchased does not have an english language option (The point of the move was to learn Japanse, but I'm still just a begginer!), so I'm wondering if there is anyway to dump the firmware from an english CG65 to mine?

I've looked around the web and can't find any firmware to download, but hopefully what I'm lookin to do is A) even possible and B) someone can point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2007, 1:07 AM   #2

Hi, RDub,

Like you, the same problem I met is still unsolved. But what puzzled me is there are some mulitlanguage models CG65 saled in US, HK, etc, while our CG65 bought in Japan only Japanese can be displayed.

Fortunately, I found a English manual for CG65 from a Chinese website,(I am a Chinese studying JP) , and considering maybe you can't understand Chinese, I would like to send you this manual to your mail if you need. My mail/MSN is [email protected], you can send a mail to me to let me know your mail address.

Plus, I really appreciate If you or other guys know how to change/update the language interface. I guess maybe some simple way like pressa fewbottons can unlock the interface changing, since I remember Panasonic FZ7 bought in JP can do like that.
Jim.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:04 AM   #3

Jim,

Sorry to hear you're having the same problems. I have found the english manual, but thanks for the offer. I have some Japanse friends here who have gone through the camera's menus and apparantly there is a screen that says that Japanese is the only option available. I guess unless a firmware update becomes available we'll just both have to study harder. Gambate!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:13 AM   #4

Interestingthat your language menu only contains Japanese. The language menu on my CG65 has13 languages to choose from, including Japanese. Like I posted earlier, I can only guess that thiswouldbepart of Sanyo's attempt to tryto limitthe grey market (I'm sure Sanyo North America and Sanyo Europe feel it impacts their bottom line).

I don't know of a way to dump the firmware, and there doesn't appear to be a firmware update for the CG65; If there was one, you'd probably find iton Sanyo's European site, andall the English manuals are also on Sanyo's European site.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 5:45 AM   #5

I've had a look around Sanyo's European site to no avail. I also find it strange that it doesn't have any menu options other than Japanese. Most other devices friends and I have purchased here commonly have Japanese menus, so it's a bit baffling.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:04 AM   #6

Up to now there is no other solution except studying Japanese. Really strange for me. If anybody got some inspiration, don't forget to let me know.
Jim.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:14 AM   #7

Well I'm somewhat comforted to see that 'm not alone with this problem. I've just posted a query before finding this thread (should have used the search function better!!) but have gotten no reply yet. I've also not found any firmware available but I'm ready to be proven wrong....anyone?
I'd really appreciate any help, expecially since I'm too old to learn Japanese!!
Thanks
newbie2008 is offline   Reply With Quote