Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:38 PM   #1

This is sort of an oddball question. I shot a boatload of videos with the CG 65 and downloaded them to an external hard drive, and from there to a PC. There was NO editing whatsoever on the PC; but I did rename the files.

Then, I wanted to show colleagues some files on TV. Since my external hard drive was no AV in/out capability, I figured I could use a card reader to transfer the files back onto the SDHC card, plug that back into the Xacti, and use the Xacti's video output jacks to view the files.

Well, it didn't work. While all files migrated to the card successfully, the Xacti would only show three of the 50 some clips on the card. These three were, as far as I can tell, completely random.

I'm stumped. Does that mean that once I've downloaded files to PC, even if I do NOTHING with them, that I can never again load them back into the camera? Or should I have downloaded the clips back into the camera using the Xacti rather than a card reader?? And why would it only show three clips?

Like I said - oddball, But if anyone has ideas....
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:28 AM   #2
lpm

Hi IcelandFan,

I think your problem was renaming the files. I couldn't find this documented anywhere, but the way I've gotten this to work on a CG6 was to keep the Sanyo naming conventions: e.g. SANY0123.MP4 for video or SUND1234.M4A for audio.
IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
This is sort of an oddball question. I shot a boatload of videos with the CG 65 and downloaded them to an external hard drive, and from there to a PC. There was NO editing whatsoever on the PC; but I did rename the files.
lpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3

lpm - Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to a convention tomorrow so I'll shoot some video and try to transfer to PC and back keeping original file extensions intact while changing the names. I'll also do the same thing again while keeping the original names AND extensions intact.

Shoulda thought of that one myself. Duh. :lol:

Obviously, it would be nice to have the ability to name clips for quick referencing on the PC, WITHOUT thereby banishing them from playback on a TV. So I'm really hoping that changing the name ond keeping the file extensions will work.

Thank you again.
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote