Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:55 PM   #1

Over in the HD 1000 forum, a couple of us were discussing which stand alone media storage was suited to the Xacti in terms of storing, playing, accessing and downloading to PC.

I personally like the Wolverine, but I'll grant you that it lacks a lot of bells and whistles ( but is a heck of a lot cheaper ) than many of the view-able, fancy LCD models. It is a bit slow writing but very fast in reading.

I know the Epson P 3000 and P 5000 specs say they will reproduce AVC/h.264 at half screen resolution of 320 x 240, which I kind of don't understand. I assume it has something to do with processing power? Why else would every other clip be viewable on the Epson's fine screen at the maximum resolution, just not the H.264?

And I have no clue if the Epsons have HDMI output for viewing of, say, HD 1000 HD clips on a HDTV with HDMI inputs.

There was one response regarding the Archos, which I personally have no experience of. Anyone out there own Epson P's and have experience with the h.264 vids?
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:56 AM   #2

Hello IcelandFun, nice to meet you again here ;-)

I spend hours in internet, looking for cheap and effectiv multimedia storage for my Xacti CA65 and 2Gb SD card.
(The Extrem3 von SanDisc is excellent : 20M/s transfert)
A lot of them seem's to be very expensiv or obsolet.

The only one in the ancient model (with screen viewer) I found << WHO IS ABLE TO READ MP4 video with codec H.264 >>
is the ARCHOS 404
---> but you need to update and download the optional plug-in (codec package?) from Archos.
(I didn't find where !)

I discover a new model, cheap (139$) and very simple portable digital photo storage (with 40GB, 80GB, 120GB hard drives) with built-in memory card readers :
The Digital Foci Photo Safe PSF 250 ( American Photo 2007 Editor's Choice Award )
:arrow: Here : ---> http://www.digitalfoci.com/photo_safe.html

Does somebody have got it ?

It seem's to have a better transfert rate then the
- WOLVERINE
FlashPro
who have only 1.5 MB/sec.:
- Digital Foci Safe PSF 250 have 3.4MB/sec
:arrow: Here : ---> http://www.wolverinedata.com

Some old model like the Archos Multimedia Jukebox 120 (7 MB/sec)
who only read the Compact Flash card
has an optional multicard reader adaptor :
:arrow: Here : ---> http://www.pcinpact.com/actu/print.php?id=8808

Does somebody try it ?

I would like to know if it's NO PROBLEM to transfert data with an external MULTI-CARD reader
with USB connection --> to media storage...

I COULD'NT FIND ANY ANSWER IN INTERNET !

My Xacti CA65 :

:arrow: http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/SANYO_XACTI_CA65.html

anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:35 PM   #3

Anjoy - Wow, that was a LOT of information you found. I'm not familiar with any of the products you mention in terms of having actually used them.
I've used the older Wolverine FlashPac 60 GB model, which has been fine for me as I download one card while I use a second, emppty, card in the CG - I always carry two cards in case one goes kaputt. So, since I'm not waiting around impatiently for one card to download so I can use it again, the download speed of the Wolverine, which is on the slow side, doesn't bother me much.
While on a recent trip to Europe, I had the opportunity to play with a relative's Epson P 2000 . It had a gorgeous screen, felt good in the hand, but was a bit slow on the download side as well. Still, the new ( and I think you said USA - only ) P 3000 and 5000 CAN display the Sanyo videos on-screen, albeit only at half the possible resolution.
One thing I don't get, at all: why in the world would you want to hook up a card reader to the USB input of an external hard drive, when most already have card readers bulit in?? To boost speed?
I'm puzzled .:?

I was hoping someone else out there might have the answer, since we don't know much about this. Anyone out there?

Of course, with the prices of memory being what they are, we're already at the point where buying five 8 GB SDHC cards is cheaper than buying the Epson P 3000, which has the same storage capacity. So, for any but an absolute hard core 24/7 videographer, there may not be that much point in buying an external hard drive that can't even display the h.264 videos. Unless you're looking for movie playback and MP3 and all that other nonsense. :0

By the way, what language is spoken in Lausanne? French only? Oder sprechen sie auch Deutsch?
Old Sep 15, 2007, 7:49 AM   #4

<< One thing I don't get, at all: why in the world would you want to hook up a card reader to the USB input of an external hard drive, when most already have card readers bulit in?? >>

I't's for me a question of budget and price!

The USB card reader seem's to me the only way to use a "cheap" multimedia-wiever with STORAGE because they are OFTEN without SD BUL-IN READER !

PLEASE COULD YOU INDICATE ME A MODEL WHO :
- has a built-in SD-(SDHC) reader
- with 30-80 Gb storage
- who can read and show video H.264 from my XACTI
- and IS LESS THEN MY XACTI CA65 PRICE !!!

Most new model with STORAGE are VERY EXPENSIV ! :?
Sure some of them can read H.264 but have ONLY 4-8Gb storage.
This is not interesting for me : BETTER TO BUY many SD 2Gb or one SDHC 8Gb...

For exemple, the ARCHOS 404 who is much cheaper now, can be update with plug-in for H.264 COMPATIBILITIY.
But NO IDEA if the FREE UPDATE fron Archos site is the same then the 25 Euros PLUG-IN who is sold in Ebay !!!

EBAY OFFER :
:arrow: http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MakeTrack=true
ARCHOS UPDATE historic here :
:arrow: http://update.archos.com/4/a404/a404_changes_website.html)
model ARCHOS 404 here :
:arrow: http://www.archos.com/products/video...fr&lang=fr

DO SOMEBODY KNOW THE ANSWER PLEASE ?

The Epson P5000 Multimedia Storage Viewer seem's to be great with it 80 Gb storage ...but it cost around 650$ !!!

PS: in Lausanne we speak french
A few people speak german or swiss german, (I can...)

Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:14 AM   #5

Another affordable new model for 125 Euros:

< MEMUP XDRIVE III >
Multi Cards reader
Hard drive USB 2.0 / 40 Go.

:arrow: http://www.magma.fr/index.php?module...mp;pid=1007015

Any comments from user welcome !

Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:48 PM   #6

Be careful becausemany portable devices that"support" AVC/H.264 will onlyplay lower bit-rate/resolutionbaseline profile AVC/H.264 video, and often not higher bit-rate/resolution main profile. The CG65 & CA65 will record using baseline profile H.264 in WEB-SHQ mode, and record using main profile H.264 in TV-SHQ mode. Main profile AVC/H.264 is more complex and many portable devicesare not powerful enough to handle it. For example, the iPod video(not a card reader/backup device, but a dedicated media player) can playback your camera's WEB-SHQ AVC videos directly but not TV-SHQ AVC.

I don't think what you are looking for exists quite yet. If you get a generic portable SD backup system, you could use it to backup your SD cards on the road. There is a forum here at Steve's Digicams where they discuss generic portable photo banks. But I would recommend just buying more SD cards instead, now they're large capacity, so small to carry and affordable these days.

Withportable media players, generally the video first needs to be converted on the PC into an optimal playback format (ideal resolution and bit-rate) for the media player. So they would be a good option to show your videos on the road, but they would not be a good backup option.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:17 PM   #7

Thank you very much Caelum ;-)

You answered at least at 4 of my thousand questions !!!

( I bought a second SD 2G EXTREM3...)

Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:07 PM   #8

Caelum - Thanks from me as well, it is very good of you to share your knowledge so folks don't go blundering around, myself included.

Your response also answers the question I had, why the Epsons only display the 320x240 resolution. Obviously, they must only be playing the baseline profile.

Well, that's decided then, at least for me. I shall give up hunting the mythical unicorn and but a couple more SDHC cards instead.

Anjoy, we're going to have to wait for consumer technology to catch up with us, I guess.

Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:40 AM   #9

It shouldn'tbe too long, the necessary chips are out there now to implement these kinds ofportable devices. Technology is just changing so rapidly. The biggest issue that will remain is the confusion caused by devices that claim to support a format, but don't support it's full implementation. Portable devices that "support" AVC/H.264 might initilally have supported baseline profile, soon they might all support main profile, but probably still won'tsupport high profile (HD) for a while at least.

Same problem plagues Microsoftwho attempts toaleviate confusion surrounding their Windows Media format support. Atfirst there were devices that claimed "support for Windows Media", but most of those devices supported only a small subset of the Windows Media formats; so in an attempt to rectify, Microsoft came out with acertification called "PlaysForSure", but most of these devices also only supported WMA (audio) requirements, some WMV, but notfull WMV (video). Itisn't working out so well, to the point that Microsoft abandoned "PlaysForSure" for it's own Zune media player. :?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 6:34 PM   #10

Thank's a lot for all these precisions Caelum ;-)

Are you working in this domain ?
Your knowledge is so huge !!!

GRATULATION :|!!!