Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1

I have been noticing that the battery life on my Sanyo seems to be very poor lately. This evening when I used it, I barely got 30 minutes of video and that was with no photos! I have barely had it a year and already the battery life has decreased. Originally I could get 50 minutes (I never expected to get the full 65 minutes but maybe others out there have gotten this?)

So I am thinking of getting a new battery. I could of course get the OEM which costs about $50 but I could get 2 third party batteries for that. Now can anyone recommend a third party brand this is 'as good as' the OEM battery in that it has the full 720mah and similar battery life? I see a lot that only have 680mah for instance. Also one that I can get through normal online store such as amazon.com etc as I don't use ebay.

I also noticed at a party with loud music last weekend that the audio was ruined in that you can hear it clipping which sounds terrible. Of course the Sanyo guy on here said that there were going to be no more firmware updates for this camera unlike the others (I guess they want you to upgrade) which is annoying. I don't care about the SDHC compatibility as there is no need, but if they could fix the audio clipping like on the C6 that would have been great but oh well...

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:51 PM   #2

It might be worth your while to join eBay just for this - 2 850mAh batteries and shipping for $13.50 :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Category=15072

I bought 2 batteries, they work perfectly fine, although I haven't actually timed how long they last. He has a good rep, picked him up from another board.

You mentioned "no more firmware updates". What were the previous ones, I missed those?

eeziduzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:51 PM   #3

eeziduzit wrote:
Quote:
It might be worth your while to join eBay just for this - 2 850mAh batteries and shipping for $13.50 :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Category=15072

I bought 2 batteries, they work perfectly fine, although I haven't actually timed how long they last. He has a good rep, picked him up from another board.

You mentioned "no more firmware updates". What were the previous ones, I missed those?
Interesting, I wonder if they really are 850mah batteries. I know they may say it on the battery but it would be interesting to see if you actually do get better runtime than the OEM battery.

There were no previous firmware upgrades but they released one for the C6 to allow it to take SDHC cards and also to fix the same sound issue ie that it would clip if the music source was too lound. Like I said I have no need of the SDHC (seeing as the battery lasts barely long enough for 1GB let alone 4!) as 2GB limit is plenty, but it would have been nice if they could fix the sound clipping issue.

I'm still very happy with the camera though and plan to upgrade to a better Sanyo at some time in the future. I'd like it to be a HD model but I suspect they won't drop in price for quite some time. After reading Caelums posts and seeing the samples, I do like the idea of getting the CG65 though.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:10 AM   #4

I bought some cheap batteries and have been rotating them with my Sanyo batteries for over a year now. Definitely the cheap batteries are not holding as long a charge anymore, the Sanyo ones are holding a longer charge, but I haven't tested how long. Perhaps if you've been using the same Sanyo battery constantly it might be getting worn.

Someone else posted a while back some tests they did withreplacement batteries, and ironically the highest mAh rated ones were the worse performing, so it seems the cheaper they are, the more they take liberties inventing fictitious mAh ratings. :G That guy concluded that, while none lastest as long as the original Sanyo's,the best "affordable" replacements, based on his duration tests, were the Lenmar DB-L20 compatible ones that Amazon sells.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:49 PM   #5

Well the battery shouldn't be fizzing out this soon as I don't use this camera that much and certainly nothing like my cellphone and Pocket PC. Based on how long the Li-ON batteries last me in those devices I should easily get 3 years life minimum at the rate I am using my Sanyo! Maybe I just just got one that was subpar. That's interesting about the Lenmar ones.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:22 AM   #6

Well I had a look at the audio track waveform and it isn't clipping afterall. It's well within the limits but the background music is still wavering in a strange way. I am pretty certain I didn't have wind noise on as I never use it, but I am going to have to test again at another party with loud music which down here, shouldn't be long :lol: Still it's just another excuse to use a camera that I enjoy using anyway :G