Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1

I just reviewed some video I took this past weekend...and to my utter disgust, the NEW CG65 that I ordered to replace the one that had the strange diamond shaped ghost image in each video in the lower left corner, has the SAME EXACT diamond shaped ghost, just in a much worse position - the top of the screen, where it is even more noticeable. In each video. On LCD, on PC screen.

I for my part am saying goodbye to Sanyo for the time being, until they stop putting out crap. I have gone from a big fan to a disgusted consumer in less than two months. I mean, if they had ANY quality control at all, they would have picked up on that by now. What are the odds of my having bought the only two cameras that have the problem? Astronomical. So either they just put a bunch of stinkers out there, or they don't care at all about fixing known issues. This looks more and more like a shutter or diaphragm issue to me, what with the weirdly precise diamond shape that is ALSO visible when there is lens flare, which can't be a coincidence. There must be some internal reflection happening here that they cannot figure out, or can't be bothered to fix.

Look at the attached picture to see what I'm talking about. And it is MILD in this one.

Attached Images

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2007, 3:15 PM   #2

That's interesting, do other CG65 owners here have this problem too?
reprazent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:46 PM   #3

That is lens flair.

I have seen many different shapes with my CG65, most of the time you won't see it but if the sky is bright you just may.

The shot you are doing with a bright back ground and the dog with the sun behind him is going to be really hard to do with a single CCD camera without blowing out the background or under exposing the for ground like the camera did.

I have found less flair when zoomed out some. Making a lens hood should not be too hard if you cant stand the flair.

A few 2000 watt lamps to light the forground and a lens hood and the shot would be perfect!

A jumbo spotlight, flashlight just on the dog might help too.

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:38 PM   #4

ArizonaVideo - I got a good laugh out of your response..yeah, Im going to go out and buy all that stuff. You forgot to add the 100lb dolly and the 2 mile extension cord. But seriously, thanks for the guffaw :-)

Actually, that shot was not against the sun; the sun was to the right of the picture and it was a heavily overcast day. There WAS lens flare ( colored, mulitlayered ) when shooting directly into the sun on other ocassions, but this ghost image was visible even when facing away from the sun on an overcast day. And I have the opposite experience from you, in both of the cameras I've had the problem becomes MUCH worse with zooming. It goes from being a vague ghost to a fairly distinct diamond cloud.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not nuts and that you've seen this a lot. I guess I'm expecting too much, OR Sanyo is expecting that people will TELL anyone who complains about this that they are expecting too much so they can keep selling the camera as is without bothering to address this issue. What I really don't understand is that none of our three digital still cameras in movie mode have anything like this problem, so why does the CG65, optimized for video rather than stills, have it?

If you read some of the other posts, a gentleman with an HD1A had the exact same problem. So it seems to occur across at least two product lines. I wish people would make more of a stink about it so that Sanyo would perhaps consider rectifying the problem.

Ironically, considering the lineage and Sanyo's rep for low light issues, the CG65 is MUCH better indoors than outdoors when used in video mode. Go figure.

I'm returning it but will hang around to see if the HD 1000 has the same refraction issue. If not, I might be tempted to try...one...last...time.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:52 PM   #5

The Sanyo lens is not the best I have exer seen! The purple fringeing on the Canon S2 is nothing to wright home about either.

It is still hard to make a near perfect lens and the Sanyo is not at the top of the list.

Have you tried a simple home made lens hood, an 1" long black rubber plastic tube might work?
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:33 AM   #6

ArizonaVideo - Nah, I'm not going to bother with homemade stuff. I'm of the opinion that something that costs $ 350 should at least come with factory options to correct or prevent issues which, surely, must have cropped up during product testing. I mean, sure, everything has some problems or drawbacks, but our issue is a bit more than a problem. The spot, ghost or flare showed up, as I said, even when facing AWAY from the sun, and even when shielding the camera with my hand. That's unacceptable to me. I've never had a camera that had flare issues when facing away from the sun, shielded no less, from the cheapest single use to a $ 2,000 DSLR. That's just crappy design.

You know what interests me? I'm looking at pics of the VPC - E 1, and the new VPC HD700. I'm not so sure about the latter, but the E-1 looks as if the lens surface is farther from the actual opening in the camera body. I wonder if anyone with an E - 1 could chip in here and tell me if they have flare too? I've thought from the beginning that this might be some sort of internal reflection or flare that is poorly controlled. But if the lens designs differ, so could the issues with refraction.

As for me, I am Sanyo-less for now. Boo hoo!!!! But I've got $ 350 back in my pocket to spend on something that doesn't have those issues.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:40 PM   #7

This is interesting indeed. I have a similar issue with my CG6. I've taken about 100 videos with it so far and it has only been noticable on about 3 of the videos. In all cases it was a very bright scene with a lot of motion. On my camera, the area is in the upper-left quadrant of the screen. What is interesting is that if you look at a still frameor a video scene on a tripod,you can't really see it. It is so mild that you only notice when doing a fast pan, because you notice a dark area that stays in one place, despite the rest of the picture moving. THe first time I saw this, I thought there was some dirt on the lens or something, but was never able to find it. I've come to the conclusion it is either a lens flare or dirt inside the lens. I considered sending mine back but being that it is only visable in rare circumstances, I decided not to worry about it. Even on the shots that it is visable, most people don't see it. I showed the video to some older folks and they couldn't even see what I was talking about. Of course, I have an eye for this kind of thing.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote