Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:10 PM   #21

Man I'm kinda torn now was going to order myself a CG65.

Now this HD700 looks really promising...maybe I should get myself a cheaper C6 for now, and get HD700 when I'm going on trip to Asia early next year :O
reprazent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:27 PM   #22

I'd get the new HD one. The C6 is brilliant, but the chance of a better codec is not to be missed.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:22 AM   #23

I've seen the CG6 for sale at walmart, wonder if they will carry this one...If so I'll definitley pick it up.

I dont want to buy either the 1000 or 700 online, because I need to try it out myself and dont want to have to pay shipping to return it if I have to
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:44 PM   #24

What's interesting about that manual is that it shows the microphone conversion cable in the package contents for the HD700, which got me all excited. But when you look through the rest of the manual, it's pretty clear it doesn't have an external mic-in jack. Bummer.

Which brings me to my over-simplistic, yet extremely focused, summary of key differences between the HD700 and the HD1000. Here goes...

HD700: smaller, slower lens (f3.5?), no external mic-input, no 12mbs bit rate formats (e.g., no 1080i60 and no 720p60, only 720p30 and smaller), $200 less.

HD1000: larger, faster lens (f1.8?), external mic-input, includes 12mbs bit rate formats (e.g., includes 1080i60 and 720p60 and everything smaller), $200 more.

So, there you have it.

If price is your main concern, then go HD700 ($200 cheaper than HD1000), or better yet, maybe a CG65 ($450 cheaper than HD1000 and $250 cheaper than HD700).

If picture quality is your main concern, then go HD1000 (cause the HD1000 does 1080i).

If pocket-ability is your main concern, then go HD700 (cause the HD700 is smaller).

If external mic-in is a requirement, then go HD1000 (cause the HD700 doesn't have one).

And if low light is your main concern, then go HD1000 (cause of the lens).

Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:19 AM   #25

reprazent - If I were you, I'd skip the CG65. It's a great little camera, despite the fact that both of the ones I had ended up getting returned because of lens issues, but the HD700 at least will shoot real DVD quality video. The CG65 misses that target by enough that it's noticeable. It gave me video output onto a Samsung HDTV omparable with a ancient first-gen mini-DV camera, if that helps you visualize. I wasn't expecting HD, mind you, I'm just trying to establish a baseline

As for me, I'm hoping third time is the charm, and have pre-ordered the HD700. It loooks very nice both implementation and spec-wise; just have to hope Sanyo did something about the flare and ghosting or this one is going right back too. All the whizbang in the world is pointless if you end up with splotchy videos.

I was tempted by the HD 1000 but one poster says battery life is only 85 minutes, not the claimed 120+. Between that and the larger file size )hence less recording space on the 4GB cards I own) and larger form factor, I think the HD700 is a better bargain for the type of traveling I do. Definitely more pocketable.
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:26 AM   #26

IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
I was tempted by the HD 1000 but one poster says battery life is only 85 minutes, not the claimed 120+. Between that and the larger file size )hence less recording space on the 4GB cards I own) and larger form factor, I think the HD700 is a better bargain for the type of traveling I do. Definitely more pocketable.
The one thing I am impressed with on the HD2 is the amazing low light capacity (compared to the C6 anyway) so I hope this is continued on the HD700. It is however bulky compared to the C6, so hopefully the HD700 will be the best of everything altogether. The lack of an external mic jack seems to me to be the only disappointment.

What I really want to see though is an interval record function.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:33 AM   #27

istara wrote:
Quote:
What doyou mean by that? Time-lapse? The HD700 does have a burst mode now.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:27 PM   #28

Yes - a time lapse mode. I don't see why the cameras can't have them, it is surely a fairly simple feature to have (given there are already timer functions and so on).
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:13 AM   #29

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
istara wrote:
Quote:
What doyou mean by that? Time-lapse? The HD700 does have a burst mode now.
I was looking for the burst mode in the manual but did not see it. Are you sure?

With a remote and burst I will have to give it a try.:|
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:41 AM   #30

was it the "sequential shots" that you guys talked about?
if yes, it's listed at page 94 at the manual, 5 shots max at one press.

wow, this one is very nice, compact and stylish.
i think i'll go for this to upgrade my CG6 later.:roll:
Paeijho is offline   Reply With Quote