Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:28 AM   #1

This looks quite a nice little camera, I would like to see life size photos of it next to the HD2 or the HD1000. It would be nice to get HD for the size of my Xacti C6.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/26/s...htest-720p-ca/

Quote:
Sanyo's back with another Xacti solid state camcorder with this, their DMX-HD700. That's "HD" as in high-def, "7" as in 720p instead of the 1080p recording action found in their DMX-HD1000. On sale starting October 19th, the "world's smallest and lightest 720p" camcorder records MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video and 7.1 megapixel stills to SD/SDHC cards. It's also loaded with the ability to track up to 12-faces, a 2.7-inch LCD, and ISO 3200 sensitivity. Expect to drop an estimated 70,000 (about $609) or so for the privilege.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:01 AM   #2

istara wrote:
Quote:
This looks quite a nice little camera, I would like to see life size photos of it next to the HD2 or the HD1000.
There is one photo here, but it's hard to tell:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/camcorder...era-303720.php
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:10 AM   #3

Theres only $200 in the difference between the HD700 and the HD1000 on amazon, in my opinion it would be well worth spending the extra 200 for all the extras....
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:44 AM   #4

I'min the same boat with my C6. I love the pocketability, and while I want to upgrade to HD, I wonder if the HD1000 will be too big to fit comfortably in my pocket. This might be the way to go, given that my Pioneer plasma is 768p. The other side is that eventually everything will be 1080p, and you will want the highest quality source possible for all your footage. Tough but nice choices!
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:50 PM   #5

It looks to be the replacment for the "Old" CG6 or CG65 product line. You know when you buy a 6.5 model that the 7 is right around the corner.:sad:

Did they add a drive mode for stills like the HD 1000?

I see they did not offer a 720x480 mode, Is 720x480 the bast*** rez of all time?

I will take the smaler size of the 7 over the HD1000. It looks like the same lens package as the GC65 so I hope they fixed the lens flair problem.

1280x720 is fine to a 100" display if the noise is low.

I like it, lots
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:15 PM   #6

I dont see the reason for it, with the HD2 out already. If it helps lower the price of the HD2 than good. But it just confuses my decision even more.

Can't wait untill november when there will be a lot more info about all these hybrids

flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:32 PM   #7

Well what will decide me is picture quality. I have the HD2, and I am increasingly disappointed with the quality of the video. The codec used is just so bad.

I have yet to view working raw clips of the HD1000, but once I can see working raw clips of that and the HD700, I will be able to decide which I want.

I am very impressed with the HD2's low light capability, especially compared with the C6.

In terms of size I don't see the mega widescreen as necessary for my purposes, since most of what I do is for the internet. Even the HD2 ones are far too big, and need to be sized down (thank god - since that makes them look better).
Old Sep 26, 2007, 4:28 PM   #8

Wow! This is interesting...

I've been getting all fired up about the HD1000, and now this. Interesting thing for me is I pretty much planned on only shooting 720p 9mbs on the new HD1000 anyway, so now this might end up being an interesting alternative becaquse it is cheaper and smaller.

HOWEVER, two things hold me back from the photos I see. First, it looks like the glass on the HD1000 is much, much better, and with a f1.8 on the HD1000, that's going to be mighty hard to beat in low light. Next is I'm not seeing an external microphone jack in the photos. I could be just missing it, but that would suck and pretty much cause me to head straight back to the HD1000.

We'll see...

P.S. Keep the info flowing if you see anything. I don't see anything on the Sanyo sites yet. What's interesting is I wonder if this was meant to be leaked yet? I mean this might cut into sales of the HD1000, and considering how much info is out about the HD1000, I'm surpised how little info there is out about this yet?
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:42 PM   #9

sanyo-dsc.com (the japanese site) has a one page info up. No detailed specs or anything.

This certainly throws a curve ball in my buying decision, i was set on the HD1000 but now i have to decide what's more important to me

HD1000:

-1080i, 720p @ 60fps @ 12mb/s
-bulkier, around 300 grams with battery

HD700:

-small and portable, 1/3 lighter than the hd1000
- but 720p is limited to max 30fps 9mb/s

I've seen footage and picture sample of the HD1000... so as long as HD700's 720p mode looks as good as the big brother, then i will probably be tempted with the smaller size. Since what good is a camera/camcorder if you don't have it with you all the time

update:

it looks like the HD700 uses a different sensor than the HD1000... HD700 is CCD while HD1000 is Cmos.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:44 PM   #10

Having seen that music video, and the fact that the HD2 and HD1000 have external mic jacks, I wonder if Xacti is planning an increasingly two-tier range?

Perhaps the non-HD models are still selling so well despite the arrival of the HD1, HD2 and now HD1000 that they see a niche for a cheaper, lower-end HD Cam? With a highest-end, more expensive camera that crosses over from prosumer into the actual professional market. I could certainly see many professional uses for the higher end HD camera, particularly for newsgathering.

After all, most people's computers are still not at a level where they can play the HD footage easily without compression (just witness people's comments in threads here). On my latest-edition MacBook Pro I cannot play the HD2's clips properly in QuickTime, I have to use VLC. And the HD1000 clip I downloaded didn't seem to work at all.

So at least for the next couple of years, I can see high end HD being too demanding for the majority of users. Bear in mind that most of us here have computers probably newer and more powerful than the average person, so if we struggle then there are serious issues.

What I personally would like to see is a lower-end model perhaps more focused on still functions, with a time lapse/interval record and that kind of thing.