Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 29, 2007, 5:51 AM   #1

I have bought a C6 last year and Idon't seem to be able to get the camera to take decent sharpindoor photos. I understand that the flash is very week but the least you would expect froma camera is that its focus works correctly.

Perhaps I have a wrong setting but I think I have tried almost all combinations and still most indoor imagesare aweful.

Isearched for an updated firmware in the hope that this is a known issue that was addressed through a hotfix but all I could find was a firmware update for SDHC support (at least something).

Any ideas what I could do to improve my photos?

It seems that the cameraallows me to half press the shutter buttonto focus on a subject, but when I then take the picture it messes it up and becomes really blurry. The only way to take half way decent picturesis to quickly press the shutter fullyin thehope that the outcome is somehow respectable. In most cases it isn't. What is worst, I really only see the blurryness when I view the photo on high resolution on a PC.

Is there perhaps a problem withmy settings? Can I fix this?

Appreciate any help!

phil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:40 AM   #2

Dumb question, but have you checked the AF setting? You can set to full range or normal range, macro or manual focus. It's quite possible you may have slipped and entered one of those modes without even knowing it.
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 2:50 PM   #3

Yepp, tried that. Changing auto focus to full rangeor macrodoesn't makemuch of a difference.
phil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:39 PM   #4

The auto focus in low light is nothing to write home about. If you are at 5x on the zoom in low light, the auto focus fairly poor.

You need more light or just use manual focus. My Cannon S2 kills the Sanyo for indoor shooting with a way better flash and IS and better focus. (not at 12x but 4x)

You can't zoom across a dim room and get a nice sharp hand held picture. You will need a tripod or external flash or set the camera on a rest.

The Sanyo is about the same as the Panny TZ-1; both have a week flash and over filtering with low light shooting.

I have many indoor shots with the Sanyo with many being blurry and if the light is low you need to get within about 5' to have the flash fully light the object.

Outside is nice.
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 1:41 AM   #5

phil7 - I agree with Arizona video. I don't have my Sanyos anymore, but the low light focusing is not good at all. I remember that distinctly.

One thing I did to at least make it tolerable was bump the ISO to 400 and use manual focus with a predetermined distance. I mean, heck, you shouldn't have to jump through these hoops, I agree with you, but if you're stuck with the C6 and you MUST take an unblurry picture, using the MF and cranking the ISO to 400 (being reasonable close ) will probably get you decent exposure and sharp - or at least not blurry - pictures.

BUT: be aware that the blurriness might have nothing to do with the AF. Even when the AF locks on very fast, ANY movement on the subject side of things will blur the picture. I believe the C6 and CG65 both have a flash sync speed of 1/60. which is laughably slow by almost any standard. Probably that is because the flash is too weak for anything higher than that. Just for comparison, my DSLR has a flash sync speed of 1/250 s.

Don't you wish there was a camera blender? Take the Fuji Z5...it's more a stylecam than anything, but boy, for a camera lacking an AF assist lamp, it kicks butt in the dark and at high ISO's. But the videos are horrible by comparison. No such thing right now as a true hybrid that excels in all areas.
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:03 PM   #6

I hope I didn't leave the impression that the Sanyo has a big time focus problem.

In most light that is good enough for a low noise video like a room with two 75 watt lamps, if you are not zoomed out all the way, the focus is OK. Most cameras have a some what hard time focusing in low light. The Panny TZ-1 has more focus hunting than the CG65 but the Canon Optura S1 is much better than both.

For most vidieo in good light I almost never see focus hunting with the CG65.
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 3:41 PM   #7

I've had the C6 for quite some time (2 years maybe??) and have had increasing more issues with the focus, especially after zoom. I've had to power on and off multiple times to get it to work. Today, on a whim I upgraded the firmware that is toted as the "SDHC upgrade" in hopes that it would also fix the focus issue. Voila! It's like a new camera. Try this it might work for you. In case it matters. my C-6 is of DMX-C6 version, a gift from the wife back when the cameras were unavailable in the US.

PS Low light still remains an issue for stills but my new Nikon D40x with Speedlight SB-600 cured this issue.

post for SDHC card firmware upgrade: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27
dbgolfnski is offline   Reply With Quote