Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:29 PM   #91

Don't underestimate the role of shutter speed in things like panning or objects crossing the screen though. Point your cam at cars going by and try forcing a 1/60 speed and a much faster speed, then review the footage. The blurring that occurs with the 1/60 helps the crossing cars look much more natural IMO. Anyway, just something to consider.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:36 AM   #92

yep.. in order to look 'NORMAL' and 'NATURAL'.. your camera records PROGRESSIVE but BLURRY frames. :lol:

it's the oldest trick in the bag of video and film. I am still waiting for true progressive video where you can pause anytime (movement or not)and see a nice crisp focused image, without requiring enourmous amounts of light and an open-wide iris.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:43 AM   #93

but you kinda can...

That's what Taynt3d was talking about.

for normal natural looking footage, keep the shutter speed around 1/60th. But if you want crisp clear images when you pause the frame, you'll need to bump up your shutter speed to something high... like 1/250. But the downside is having a high shutter speed is it'll look jarring in movement... kinda like how the zombie movies look when they film zombie attack scenes (see dawn of the dead, 28 days/weeks later).

However, like you were saying... all that is limited by the quality of lighting, and chances are you won't be getting that kind of result at night with the latest Sanyos Have you seen the early demos of the new Casio camera? its not a video cam, but it records 150 frames per second!

ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 9:29 AM   #94

eris wrote:
Quote:
[...]A couple things I have questions on:[...]
1) Yes, all my sample footage wasshot handheld with DIS (digital image stabilization) OFF, so when zoomed in itdoes amplify my hand/arm tremors (heartbeat?). Yes, there is a tripod mount on the camera, so you could shoot a perfectly steady shot; you can alsouse the remote control to start/stop shooting and zoom in/out without touching the camera and therefore eliminate any movement/sound on the camera.

2) My first guess is that it could be a playback issue on your PC because most PCs will not playback this video smoothly, especially when there is full scene movement. But yes, if you want to pan and see clearly and have smooth video, you should generally pan slowly as with most cameras. Panning smoothness is affected by the shutter speed. If shutter speed is fast, the frames will be more clear and crisp (you could extract stills from the video without motion blur) but disjointed, if shutter speed is slow, there will be more motion blur but video will be smoother. Since I had the camera in full auto, the shutter speed was controlled by the camera in this case (balanced); but you can control it as you wishin "shutter speed priority" manual mode (or use program modes like "Sports" = fast shutter).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:01 PM   #95

Well I have had another go at recording being aware of how I zoomed in and out of shots as there was such a noise on my first recording on playback, being very gentle as I did so. On playback there were times when it wasn't heard but then you'd hear the zoom quite loud and a clunk. One recording was a silent one where there were a few noises on playback and the other I had music on quite loud - with the one with music there was the occasion when you could hear the panning in and out over the music. Both recordings I was careful with the gentle ease of zooming and stopping but still I have a problem with the loudness of the zooming on playback when it occurs!

Is this something I need more practice on or is there a problem with the camera? I am asking as I am new to this - it is my first camcorder/digicam ever and it may just be me! I just wasn't expecting it to be such an issue as I have watched video recordings that others have made on their camcorders and they do not have loud sounds with their zoom on playback.

Any advice very welcome.
CYMRAES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 6:25 PM   #96

CYMRAES wrote:
Quote:
[...]is there a problem[...]
Without hearing it, it'simpossible for usto tell, but the way you describe it, it sounds like therecould bea problem. The samples I uploaded are representative, it has not been any louder in any of my other videos.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:08 AM   #97

Caelum, I have looked at your samples and there is no sound on the zooming in/out on them or if there is slightly it doesn't take away from the shots, even when you were shooting that little boy talking - the only sound was what was going on and not any of the motorised humming and clunking of the zoom. I do believe that there may be a problem as I can't imagine it would be so sensitive to the use of zooming in and out where you hear it almost everytime on playback. I am certain that if this was usual of this camera it would be an issue for most/all those who have purchased one. I hope I am making it clear enough for you to understand.
I think I may contact QVC and ask for a replacement, at least they give you a month to try it out without obligation. I am so disappointed as I do like the camera very much other than this problem and I find it easy to use with one hand (left hand) even though the viewer/monitor is on the same side.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:20 AM   #98

CYMRAES wrote:
Quote:
[...]I hope I am making it clear enough[...]
Yes, it does sound like there is a problem with yours... but I don't recall uploading a sample with a "little boy talking"?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:41 AM   #99

Hi Caelum thank you for your response ... again! The sample I was referring to was from your link last week: http://www.vimeo.com/349056 cats feeding and some talking in the backgound and I'm sure a little boy comes into shot. Anyway, I have been doing some recording this morning and have just played it back on the tv but it is still happening and is so prominent that I am sure I have a dodgy one! The sound doesn't appear so much when played back on the camera but playing back on tv it is so loud with buzzing and clunking I'm sure it can't be right. You don't have this continuing loud buzzing of the mechanism when zooming on playback do you? Well it certainly doesn't sound on the samples you have posted here. I'm sure it isn't me being fussy wanting it to be something special! I don't think they would rate it at all with what I have produced!! I am so disappointed because of it. :sad:
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:22 AM   #100

CYMRAES wrote:
Quote:
You don't have this continuing loud buzzing of the mechanism when zooming on playback do you?
No, not at all. It's unfortunate that you do.