Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:55 PM   #991

fishy and visorblue - I agree as well. I've never really paid attention to the XXmm lens specification either - which is why I was asking if anyone who did pay attention to that kind of stuff would care to comment. :-)

I like (and have purchased) the Sanyo's for all of the reasons you've mentioned. The FOV issue is annoying - but not a deal-breaker. I think I might do some comparisons withISoff when I receive my HD700 (refirb - thanks fishy!).

Note that I believe the reviewer's image I put up earlier concerning FOV - the testing I plan to do is more "do I shoot with a steady enough hand such that I can have IS off" :-) .

ddchesser's post in the thread I made about still image capture made me feel like I could go ahead with the HD700, and just make my own still shots (instead of needing to purchase the HD1000 for the simultaneous-video-and-still feature of the( http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27 ) . I have to admit I am pretty excited about the form factor...plus, I realized that I can use the same DBL40 batteries/charger from my broken HD1.

Thanks all!
Marcus Alzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:30 PM   #992

Marcus Alzona wrote:
Quote:
ddchesser's post in the thread I made about still image capture made me feel like I could go ahead with the HD700, and just make my own still shots (instead of needing to purchase the HD1000 for the simultaneous-video-and-still feature...
Some people just pull a still from the video which works depending on the image size needed. Then, some press shooters are using HDV video cameras (Sony Z1U, etc.), pulling a still and up-rezing it with software.

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue07...otography.html
http://digitaljournalist.org/issue07...odoo-tool.html

All depends on your needs. I have never needed a still and a video at the same time so it's not a problem for me.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 6:40 AM   #993

I am positive the Hd700 takes video and captures stills as well, but the camcorder wil pause during the feature.

I am also positive that when you use a software you can capture a frame off the video and have a decent picture and best of all. if you snap one pic the video you can get multiple images

it is a great Compact device, and refirb or not Let us know the fun you're having
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:04 AM   #994

Marcus Alzona wrote:
Quote:
The FOV issue is annoying - but not a deal-breaker. I think I might do some comparisons withISoff when I receive my HD700 (refirb - thanks fishy!).
You're going based on a review and and not hands on. Remember, this is a small sensor camera and that affords you some benefits, like serious depth of field and ability to hand hold at much slower shutter speeds. You may find that what you fear is not an issue.

After you get yours try it out to see what you can do with it. Work on a two-handed and stable grip, brace yourself, lean against something, etc. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've done stills at shutter speeds that would have resulted in a detail-less blur with larger sensor camera.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:02 AM   #995

Here are two samples from a 10 minute video I shot in NYC and then edited in premiere. Let me know what you think....

I really like this camera.. I had it in my pocket all over NYC. Something I could not have done with my Bigger Sony MIni-DV.. and this one is HIGH DEF!!!

I took this video and made a widescreen SD DVD and played it back on my up-converting DVD player and WOW!!! it looks like HIGH DEF!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/706075

http://www.vimeo.com/706587

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:26 AM   #996

djqwik wrote:
Quote:
Here are two samples from a 10 minute video I shot in NYC and then edited in premiere. Let me know what you think....
That looks pretty good! Congrats. What a city!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:16 AM   #997

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
djqwik wrote:
Quote:

Went there to see the play "Young Frankenstein" ... great show!, and a great pizza place across the street from the theatre (Hilton Theatre)...

Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:00 PM   #998

Loved it.

My questions to you are:

when you shot the sec vid, only one particular section smeared. So tell us what settings if you remember when shooting.

I now wonder if i film behind a windshield all Pitted LOl yep I get smears. LOL It is timeto realy slow that panning down, and yep all tourests not one native New Yorker, I was Home LMAO.:G

great Job

djqwik wrote:
Quote:
visorblue wrote:
Quote:
djqwik wrote:
Quote:

Went there to see the play "Young Frankenstein" ... great show!, and a great pizza place across the street from the theatre (Hilton Theatre)...

Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:22 PM   #999

I dont have the camera in front of me since I am ay work but I shot at ISO 200 and put it on the night setting even though some say its only for photos and not video. I al also on the "P" setting. The part that looked smeared was probably when I was walking with the camera. I never use the stabilization....

I was suprised at how well it worked at night considering it is rated 13 lux if I remember correctly... I especially likes the photos and how clear they were on video.. EVEN the frame grabs I did from video in the snow (I'll put that part up when I have more upload space which is next week I think.. Ive used almost 500G)

Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:31 PM   #1000

gotch night scen of scene select, ISO 200, and exposure / program. wonder what that is again will need to research

thanks need to test out at night

djqwik wrote:
Quote:
I dont have the camera in front of me since I am ay work but I shot at ISO 200 and put it on the night setting even though some say its only for photos and not video. I al also on the "P" setting. The part that looked smeared was probably when I was walking with the camera. I never use the stabilization....

I was suprised at how well it worked at night considering it is rated 13 lux if I remember correctly... I especially likes the photos and how clear they were on video.. EVEN the frame grabs I did from video in the snow (I'll put that part up when I have more upload space which is next week I think.. Ive used almost 500G)