Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 3, 2008, 7:55 AM   #1031

Anyone know if the Mic LIght is in fact an unaltered UFO light...... for a HUGE markup? Or does he replace the LEDs? He makes a big deal about their color temperature but it sure looks like an unaltered UFO light.......

Paul
paulgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:07 AM   #1032

paulgoelz wrote:
Quote:
Anyone know if the Mic LIght is in fact an unaltered UFO light...... for a HUGE markup? Or does he replace the LEDs? He makes a big deal about their color temperature but it sure looks like an unaltered UFO light.......
Fact is going to be hard to prove unless someone wants to know bad enough to spend the $150 for one of theirs. I'm thinking it's an unaltered UFO -- they even seem to be using the same Costco Kirkland batteries I am. The UFO comes in silver and white plastic by the way.

They say their's is 5600K which I really question as you can plainly see the blue light from it. As you've seen in my video the HD700 corrects for it nicely. You could put a colored/correcting gel on it you wanted, not worth it to me. I don't shoot in low light but for $10 I figured I'd buy one. I like the $10 hiking head light LED unit, too, but haven't bought one yet.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 7:01 PM   #1033

I found an OLD broken flash, some left over super glue (will re-do it with JB Weld later) and this is what I came up with:

Attached Images

visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:33 AM   #1034

Sweet.

Well update to my use of the Hd 700 here. My mac is useless with the Ext, HD drive. so I am happy I can transfer all my files over into the Library , no headaches yet.

pics and short clips on a 4 hour tour of Battleship Cove Little fall Ma. cam lasted 85% of the whole tour. wish I had a spare battery. Did not expect it to last thefull tour but got a few shots on a low battery .

Well having tons of Fun and got tons of shots will probably fill up the drive 500 gigs worth andedit a years worth of film LMAO
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:31 PM   #1035

Got my refurbished camera today. Not a scratch. Works great.
I have noticed as many others the errant focus... but since you can lock it using the shortcut or use manual focus, I found it to be of a minor annoyance. As long as there are ways around, I am happy.

I have taken good note on the UFO LED light, that run for less than $10 on Ebay, some with 48 LEDs. I am sure that with high capacity rechargeable batteries, the lamp should last a while... and you still can use it to lit your camp or your tent.
NEAT.

I will also look at the Phoenix Wide angle. This will be the first buy for me, since I also need to use a polarized filter. As mentioned in a previous post, this will be a helmet cam... though I will not mount it as previous on my helmet (I had a DV cam mounted on that one, but too buly), but on the side of my face at eye level.

Anyone has examples of a good contraption to attach that cam at eye level?
I will also very likely make it waterproof (I already made udw housing for regular digicam) using a pelican case... or will buy a clear pouch for it.

As a reminder, I indeed intend to use that cam for filming whilst flyfishing.

One deception though.... and I am sure I will find more. I cannot turn on and off the camera using the remote... a remote indeed makes it easier to waterproofing the camcorder. The on off function of the remote only works when the camera is docked.

ANY WAY AROUND TO THIS?

I will post more soon.

BTW: One can use a step up or step down ring that will be fixed onto the camera for an easier attachment (one that does not fall off) of a wide angle. To the extreme, I might ask my friend to turn me one on his mini CNC lathe.

Hydrocynus.

Addendum: one can use a slave flash if they think the flash on the Sanyo is too weak (and it is). They run for pretty cheap.

hydrocynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:54 PM   #1036

hydrocynus wrote:
Quote:
One deception though.... and I am sure I will find more. I cannot turn on and off the camera using the remote... a remote indeed makes it easier to waterproofing the camcorder. The on off function of the remote only works when the camera is docked.

ANY WAY AROUND TO THIS?
In a word.... no. The remote works any time the camera is on and not in sleep mode (not just in the dock). But it will not turn it on from off or wake it up from sleep. I understand why this is from a design standpoint, but it makes the remote nearly useless for the one thing it would be handy for.... controlling an inaccessible tripod mounted camera remotely. Once the camera goes to sleep, you are done.

Paul
paulgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 8:49 PM   #1037

This is what I figured after reading the manual. The on/off remote function only works when the camera is docked.

Another question: Is there a driver for the PC camera connection: ie to turn that puppy into a webcam? It seems that it has the capability, but no drivers?

Addendum: never mind. It works with messenger, but not with skype. The mike is not recognized though.

Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:29 AM   #1038

remote has a 30 degree angle , the remote I am sure if one modified the magnet you be able to have it on all the time to use it but battery liife is drained so scratch that idea
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:05 PM   #1039

Well, Actually the lid holding the battery seems not to prevent the camera from working. So, it might be possible to connect an external battery with a higher capacity.

For example, with my Panasonic DV cam, I cut open the existing battery, then added more batteries in parallel. The batteries were stored at the back of the helmet (so that it would be balanced better). I had 9 hours of continuous power with that system.

This might be possible to do with the Sanyo? Anyone tried that? I attempted to find higher capacity batteries without any succes. MY guess is that these batteries are thicker.

Hydrocynus.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1040

I too just purchased my HD700 from Amazon refurbished for $238. Everything was in excellent condition. The description on Amazon said the box was damaged but the box I received looked perfect. All the cables, manuals, and software were still in their original sealed packages and have never been opened. The HD700 itself was perfect, it doesn't even look like its been used before. My friend wanted to buy one refurbished from Amazon but it looks like they are all out of stock now.

On a side note, I took a 30 minute HD video and had Adobe Premier Elements 3.0 convert and burn it to a DVD. I have a quad core 2.4 Ghz machine, 2 GB of RAM, and the machine is only 4 months oldand it took almost 8 hours to finish the DVD. When I watch the performance using task manager all 4 CPU's are only utilizing about 40%, I am wondering why its not hitting it hard and should show 100% of all CUP's and get the job done quick. Has anyone else had this issue, or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
l8nighter is offline   Reply With Quote