Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1071

squirrel2 wrote:
Quote:
So it's possible to take time exposure shots manually somehow?
No, but you can extract stills from clips (manual page 132). Works fine.
*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:16 PM   #1072

Hi Guys,

1st post

I've been looking around the forums for a while now and am interested in the HD700! Im in the process of selling my Canon S3 digicam and im going to put the proceeds towards a new camcorder as i am going to Canada with my GFat the end of the year skiing and think its the perfect opputunity to start getting some 'home movies' together..(Im only 20) as i have stuck to still photography on our holidays before now.

Ive spent a shedload on the hol and buying my own gear etc for it so i hav'nt got a huge budget for a cam! Now i know the HD700 isnt best suiting to sporting stuff but i want to use it as a general purpose cam aswell thats why im not going for rugged /helmet cams etc.

My budgets about £250GBP (Annoying that i could get a refurb hd700 in US for £150 but nowhere here is below £250!) so im not gonna be buying a high end HD cam but the hd700 seems to suit my needs pretty well being in pistol format for holding whilst skiing and being small enough to just zip into my jacket when not in use!

Ive also had my eye on the Canon FS100, which is about £230 when released in April but problem is its only standard def and is more in the form of a conventional cam, also sensor size is smalled than hd700 :S

Are you guys generally pleased with you HD700 or should i wait it out and see if any better models around the samepricecome out in the forseeable future?!

BTW, aipteks are a no go, looked into them and dislike the Rolling shutter ive seen on them.. Not really suitable for skiing!

Thanks! sorry for huge post lol!

Craig
craigyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:40 PM   #1073

I think I am missing something here.

I am asking about time exposure shots, where you stop down the shutter to allow a bunch of light to come in so you can take cool night shots.

How is extracting stills from video related to that?

Sorry I am just a bit confused!
squirrel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:52 PM   #1074

squerrel2 no you cannot. take a time lapse still shots like you're asking

snap the shutter walk away come back 12 hours later and end snap for a still

you can take a time lapse of up to around a second or two with the shutter speed it has a number of settings but not longer than you're asking

time lapse can be a video as well.

squirrel2 wrote:
Quote:

I am asking about time exposure shots, where you stop down the shutter to allow a bunch of light to come in so you can take cool night shots.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:54 PM   #1075

Hi all,

Just joined and 1st post.

After reading here for a while and watching fishycomics review on youtube, I finally decided on the HD700. Two questions remaining. Are the US, EU and Japanese version mainly the same cam, just with different language menu and power plug? And would u guys say tht these new Sanyo's(HD700/1000,CG(A)65) are more Apple oriented than Windows?

Thx for all info on this thread

adalfa
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:24 AM   #1076

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"thank you

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"my review needs improvement.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"MO#.MOV quicktiome Format H264/ it is a Apple not a window format.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"that is why is say that . easier to use apple devices over pc.

adalfa wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Just joined and 1st post.

After reading here for a while and watching fishycomics review on youtube, I finally decided on the HD700. Two questions remaining. Are the US, EU and Japanese version mainly the same cam, just with different language menu and power plug? And would u guys say tht these new Sanyo's(HD700/1000,CG(A)65) are more Apple oriented than Windows?

Thx for all info on this thread

adalfa
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:50 PM   #1077

squirrel2 wrote:
Quote:

Not sure what cool night shots you want to take, but the short answer is yes, you can. Set the camera in manual mode (or experiment in Auto) and adjust the settings. I think the slowest you can set the shutter speed is 4-seconds but playing with exporsure compensation might extend that a bit. Check the manual and experiment.

You'll most likely want to use a tripod and the self timer or remote since there's no
cable release.

May not be what you want but some good tips on using the HD700 are here:
http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:17 AM   #1078

Sanyo Xacti hd700 (all on Auto) These are shots of Mass in Little fall, Battleship Cove, Concord Minuteman Nat'l park, and Slem ma HOuse of the Seven Gables.

Hope you enjoy the photos and they were downsized with Lunapic.com, raw footage , not touched with any adjustments

Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:32 AM   #1079

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
squirrel2 wrote:
Quote:

Not sure what cool night shots you want to take, but the short answer is yes, you can. Set the camera in manual mode (or experiment in Auto) and adjust the settings. I think the slowest you can set the shutter speed is 4-seconds but playing with exporsure compensation might extend that a bit. Check the manual and experiment.

You'll most likely want to use a tripod and the self timer or remote since there's no
cable release.

May not be what you want but some good tips on using the HD700 are here:
http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html
Alright awesome thanks vb! Sounds like it will work after all.

Tracking my shipment from hong kong, it's being shipped by UPS. It has made a pretty funny detour. Went from hong kong to alaska, then back to hong kong, then to korea. lol
squirrel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1080

Man dvd-flick http://www.dvdflick.net/is awesome! It did in 1 hour what it took Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 over 9 hours to do! In the current release you cannot make any DVD menus, it just starts the movies when you put the DVD into your player. But the current beta version supports DVD menus and will be out shortly. I just can't explain how awesome this software is because for oneit's open source and free but the fact that its so fast! I am glad that I didn't spend hundres of dollars on Vegas because this software works great and I will probably give them some money as a donation. You just copy the .mp4 file directly from your HD700 to your computer and away you go. Like I said using Elements with 720p HD video it took 9 hours to convert to DVD a 1 hour recording and almost 24 hours for a 2 hour recording with menus. dvd-flick is also multi-core aware which I don't believe Elements is. So I just wanted to let everyone know to give this software a shot because it solved all my performance issues.
l8nighter is offline   Reply With Quote