Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:29 AM   #101

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
CYMRAES wrote:
Quote:
You don't have this continuing loud buzzing of the mechanism when zooming on playback do you?
No, not at all. It's unfortunate that you do.
I would like to thank you for your continued help and advice with the problem I have with my sanyo xacti HD700 - it is very much appreciated especially when I am new to this media and never had a camcorder or such before. You have been so helpful and patient with my questions and explanations of the problems regarding the camera.

I have sent QVC an email regarding the product - I know I could just send it back and request a replacement or a full refund with no questions asked, but I would like to explain to them first before returning it. I am going to request a replacement and hopefully I shall have a totally different experience with that camera!:-)

I shall let you know what happens as I am sure you would like to know! :lol:
CYMRAES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 5:54 PM   #102

Hi.

I bought an HD700 after doing my research across the forum.

I'm a basic user who found my C6 to be the greatest gadget I ever bought!But I decided that I needed to go widescreen and HD.

I've filmed my first bit of test footage and its not bad....but....the noise on the zooming in iquite loud Never got that on my C6.

Faulty or normal?

How do I upload a video? I'm let you see and hear it on my first bit of footage.
siwxxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:20 PM   #103

Here's my video on you tube. Notice the zoom noise from 27 secs in. Is that normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3qcbjPVcjM

Please excuse my mums rambling!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:02 PM   #104

Maybe I'm getting old, but I actually didn't hear any zoom noise. I heard a "click" when you finished zooming, which sounds like the zoom switch hitting the camera body, which someone else already pointed here.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:46 PM   #105

guys... I meant to post this before, but somehow I forgot.

This is for all those users complaining about zoom noise on their hybrid cameras (sanyo or whatever).

After pondering about this for a while (and even before I had a hybrid camera myself), I came to a conclusion.
The statement "No moving parts, solid state media, etc (related)" it's just marketing to some extent.

You see, there ARE moving parts in the camera. After all, optical zoom is accomplished by moving two or more lenses closer together or farther apart, so there MUST be some sliding of minuscule components inside the camera... and since you have no motor driving the tape and creating 'ambience noise' (like in most minidv, D8, hi8, vhs cameras), is much easier to notice the sliding of these lenses... therefore: Zoom noise.

my scientific research has ended :G
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:43 AM   #106

siwxxyz wrote:
Quote:
[...]Is that normal?[...]
That sounds normal. This is a very quiet environment. It's important to realize that the HD700 adjusts the recording volume dynamically: themore quietit is, the higher the recording volume, theless quiet itis, the lower the recording volume. It tries to capture whatever sounds there are in a particular environment while keeping it all within a normalized range to prevent clipping. In that clip I can hear the whirr of your fridge, the kid's chips bag crinkling and tiny sounds like that much more than the optical zoom; the recoding volume is high. It's good because you hear everything clearly but when shooting outdoors, normal environmental sounds will keep the recording volume at a more normal level. Besides, using the zoom in perfectly quiet small indoor environments should be very infrequent given the field of view at wide angle is not that wide and it's much better to move in for a detail / macro shot instead of zooming in as it focuses better at wide and you will have less camera shake. Did you actually try side-by-side comparisons in the exact same environment with your C6?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:06 AM   #107

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
siwxxyz wrote:
Quote:
[...]Is that normal?[...]
That sounds normal. This is a very quiet environment. It's important to realize that the HD700 adjusts the recording volume dynamically: themore quietit is, the higher the recording volume, theless quiet itis, the lower the recording volume. It tries to capture whatever sounds there are in a particular environment while keeping it all within a normalized range to prevent clipping. In that clip I can hear the whirr of your fridge, the kid's chips bag crinkling and tiny sounds like that much more than the optical zoom; the recoding volume is high. It's good because you hear everything clearly but when shooting outdoors, normal environmental sounds will keep the recording volume at a more normal level. Besides, using the zoom in perfectly quiet small indoor environments should be very infrequent given the field of view at wide angle is not that wide and it's much better to move in for a detail / macro shot instead of zooming in as it focuses better at wide and you will have less camera shake. Did you actually try side-by-side comparisons in the exact same environment with your C6?

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I'm just a little shocked at how noisy it it. I have never heard the C6 zoom once in 100 hours of use, in all environments.

I've uploaded another bit of footage I just filmed at work. Please excuse the picture quality. It was a quick transfer just so you can hear the zoom at work. Its another quiet environment, but I'm still a bit shocked to hear it.

If every other HD700 owner has found the same, fine, I'll live with it. But If mine is faulty, I'll need to send it back sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-uv8Rn-fE

Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:15 AM   #108

Well my sanyo xacti HD700 has been collected (to be returned) and they will be sending me a replacement so hopefully that one will be better - hope it won't be long before I receive it. I do hope that there won't be such a buzzing noise and clunking with the new one - it had to be faulty! I notice from other posts here that there have been noise issues on playback with the zooming.
CYMRAES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:49 AM   #109

CYMRAES wrote:
Quote:
[...]I notice from other posts here that there have been noise issues on playback with the zooming.
:roll:General termsto specifically refer to siwxxyz's posts... he provided samples you could compare with and comment on (video ispoor because it's youtube, but you get a good idea of the sound).

Siwxxy, I'll reiterate what I wrote in my last post: in that last video, it is a perfectly quiet environment (your PC's fans are the loudest noise); the HD700 is therefore at max recording volume trying to pickup any sound at all, thus thisshould be the worst case scenario where you would hear the camera's own sounds.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:40 AM   #110

I'm quite surprised about bad reviews at amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000W9Z0T0)
Strange, because your posts here are widely positive :?
berniep is offline   Reply With Quote