Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:11 AM   #1121

Oh i wasnt aware Argos did it!

I havnt tried it out extensively but the image stabilisation does seem effective as long as your not worried about losing a small amount of resolution as it crops a little bit off of the image to eliminate shake. I will be using it when im zooming in on a subject far away i imagine.

The HD1000 i believe has the same electronic stabilisation but it does not crop the image so i imagine this is a bit better but you may need to ask someone with a HD1000.

Hopefully a firmware update will be released in the future for the HD700 that makes the stabilisation on par with the HD1000
craigyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:36 AM   #1122
C-P

I think it's been covered before in this thread, I remember at least one member posting some test footage showing stabilization results.

Digital image stabilization will always crop the image and actually the more the image it crops the more shake it can accommodate. Still, with slower shutter times, motion blur won't be avoided though so it comes back to devise your own methods of getting a steady shot. Focus-hunting will also be a problem during shaky shots if autofocus isn't locked.

About HD700's stabilization being on par with HD1000, they are different cameras with sensors of different size and type (HD1000 uses CMOS) so no such thing as a firmware fix to make things equal.
C-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:40 AM   #1123

Problem with buying from Argos is if you dont lik ethe product and haveused it they wont let you return it.
rdesouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1124

http://vimeo.com/837212

hampton Inn in mass just big snow flakes.

you ask about image stabilization. I have a clip called uss constitution. I have no placed it on, since I gott he cam, I was complimented on the way i stood my ground.

http://vimeo.com/827679

when navy officeris telling his story.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:33 AM   #1125

Wow fishy those snowflakes are awesome! Great vid! Do you use the beach/snow setting when shooting snow!? I presume it just lowers the EXP compensation to avoid blowouts?

Here are a few vids i have made just testing things out. People may find them useful.

http://vimeo.com/craigyc/videos

Craig
craigyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:42 AM   #1126

Craig. LMAO coka cola loved it..........

no the hybrid I tend to just film with what it is on, even though I had all the time in the world to go through settings I totally forgot about the snow/beach

most greydays are justt hat, i see it was not bright out fora lower setting it was grey and dull.

again needed to be in person, wanted to step out to snap atthat time but I know the lens be the first thing to get a flake and damp shots

thanksfor the comments

craigyc wrote:
Quote:
Wow fishy those snowflakes are awesome! Great vid! Do you use the beach/snow setting when shooting snow!? I presume it just lowers the EXP compensation to avoid blowouts?

Here are a few vids i have made just testing things out. People may find them useful.

http://vimeo.com/craigyc/videos

Craig
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:02 AM   #1127

Dear all,

I just got my HD700 from Japan at about $340 USD ~ $460 SGD plus shipping & tax. The interface is only in japanese but I can still manage by matching with the english manual available for download. It doesn't come with the component cable and docking station but I guess that was the cheapest I could get one to Singapore. It is selling from $650-$800SGD in Singapore with full accessories or "optionals".

I've only used it for only a day and I'm not too sure if these are normal:
*stablizer is on
*tried with 9point AF and Spot AF
*tried on both day and night time.
*ISO set at 200
*NR set to on
*others settings off ( face chaser, special effect, modes )

1. Is the auto focus consistent when zooming in? Cos goes out of focus a little in between zooming in and out, but overall during the zooming process it still is rather in focus.
2. Even when trying to record and standing still without zooming onto a subject, the autofocus goes out of focus in between when recording the subject.

Just in case you are wondering, my set says "Made In Indonesia"!!!!!
maddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:31 AM   #1128

The docking station is used for charging the battery so unless you have a 3rd party charger your going to run into trouble when the battery runs out.

1 & 2. Use AF lock, but in low light the auto focus seems to hunt a bit, in sunny or good light I get no issues with the focus. My cg65 tends to be better for focus issues.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:30 PM   #1129

Hi Herbs, thanks for your reply.

The japan package included a charger to charge direct into the cam

AF lock..hmm..but what if I need to zoom in? do i lock at a distance first and zoom out and then back again?

herbs wrote:
Quote:
The docking station is used for charging the battery so unless you have a 3rd party charger your going to run into trouble when the battery runs out.

1 & 2. Use AF lock, but in low light the auto focus seems to hunt a bit, in sunny or good light I get no issues with the focus. My cg65 tends to be better for focus issues.
maddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:54 PM   #1130

I tend to lock it or stop recording, zoom in/out then if i stopped recording then I start it up again.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote