Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:09 AM   #111

Interesting comments in the reviews.....I will have to investigate the iMovie issue since I would be using that app for my editing.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:13 PM   #112

dcpmark wrote:
Quote:
Interesting comments in the reviews.....I will have to investigate the iMovie issue since I would be using that app for my editing.
Yes, only two reviews so far, but indeed interesting. I suspect that the DISmight have beenon all the time for at least one of the commenters(it reduces the field of view as well as the pixel resolution/quality). I could also understand having high expectationsand with a small light pocket compact camera it's easier to shoot bad footage if you're not steady with it. Although the samples I uploadedare a representative mixed selection of my very first day of test shooting with the HD700.Iwas used tothe general Xacti form factor, butit was my firsttimewith the HD700... they are far from ideal samples sotheyshould give a good idea as to what to expect.

Regardingthe iMovie issue,I'm not sure but itsimplysounds like his iMacmight not have the necessary horsepower tohandle 720p video. I tried it on an older iMacG5 (single core CPU) and it couldn't playback the video smoothly at all. A very recent dual-core iMacmight be required (otherwise use directplayback to HDTV from the camera). dcpmark, it would befairly easy for you to directly test it on your iMac in iMovie bydownloading some of my samples and trying it yourself. The MP4 files came directly from the HD700same asif you hooked it up directly to your iMac.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:46 PM   #113

I'm actually not too concerned about the quality of the video....I am coming from a C6, and I'm COMPLETELY happy with that footage! Of course, I've recently been converting my father's and grandfather's 16mm, 8mm, Super8, Hi8, and other ancient formats to DV, so everything looks good to me.

I'm more concerned about the iMovie thing. I have a Dual 2.0mhz G5, so maybe I shouldn't worry. I didn't have any trouble playing your samples in QuickTime, but I didn't think toload them intoiMovie. My experience is that iMovie has less trouble playing sources than QT.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:13 PM   #114

dcpmark wrote:
Quote:
[...]I've recently been converting my father's and grandfather's 16mm, 8mm, Super8, Hi8, and other ancient formats to DV, so everything looks good to me.[...]
:-), I did the same a little while ago, and Iwassurprised to see how grainy and fuzzy Super 8 film really was,even in full sun.It was especially funny to see everyone sheilding their eyes on all of the indoor footage as they are blinded by the 350 watt halogen "sun gun" attachment. :lol: Now we expect no less than pristine HDwith little light from a camera that fits inour palm. :G
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:15 PM   #115

berniep wrote:
Quote:
I'm quite surprised about bad reviews at amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000W9Z0T0)
Strange, because your posts here are widely positive :?
More people from here should post their reviews on there so its more even sided, unless you totally agree with the 2 star rating
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:04 PM   #116

Well i've had mine for a few days now and have taken a ton of video and pictures. I have to admit its almost not much better than my HD1 was. In fact I think the still quality on my HD1 was better. Every pictures looks like its over sharpened. Very grainy. In bright sun the video quality is really good, but in anything else its grainy and you can see the banding/pixels when moving the camera fast. I'm going to take it on my trip to NYC and decide on whether I want to return or keep after that. Not sure for the $550 I paid.
Schafeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:11 AM   #117

I've had mine for a bit now, and am comparing it to the HD 1000 I also have, to see which one I'm keeping and which one is going back.

A couple quick comments about the HD 700:

I like the way it lies in the hand MUCH, MUCH better than the overly bulky, too short grip of the HD 1000. The placement of my large male hand is such that the thumb naturally comes to rest on the zoom lever, while my pinkie still has room on the grip, which seems less slippery than the HD 1000.

I like the zoom lever, although it either does not have or has only a very coarse implementation of the variable zoom speed on the HD 1000. But again, the ergonomics arer simply better than on the HD 1000.

I agree fully with the previous poster about the graininess of the 700. Indoors, there is NO comparison at all between the HD1000 and the HD 700 at the same ISO, even the same aperture. The 1000 wins easily, effortlessly, every single test - focusing, flash power/range, clean image. I don't think that will surprise anyone after they see the relative lens sizes and apertures. The 4MP stills from the HD 1000 look better and cleaner then the 7 MP HD 700 images.

The SD card slot and the lens cover on the HD 700 are a joke. There is no way at ll either one of them will last for someone like me, who likes to download from the card and not from the dock; and who takes a LOT of pictures which means the lens cap will come off and go back on easily thirty times a day, if not more. Shame on Sanyo for cheaping out here. Really, two words come to mind: Rube Goldberg. Again, the HD 1000 wins hands down with its actual hinged door design for the SD card and for its professional bayonet-type lens cover.

Small niggle: the 1000 CAN stand on its own. The 700 cannot.

I will go outside tomorrow and take some pictures and movies under bright daylight, which I haven't yet had the chance to do because of the roll-back to standard time and not getting home before dark. As of now, though, despite superior ergonomics, it would take a miracle in terms of movie quality for me to hang onto the HD 700. I take enough snapshots in less-than-perfectly-lit enviornments that the much more powerful flash on the 1000 would be a deal-breaker, especially since the images shot from both cameras come out much cleaner on the HD 1000.

I'll post some more observations tomorrow.
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:38 AM   #118

As someone who also owns both cams, I'd very much agree that the image quality off the HD1000 is much better than the HD700 under any conditions besides ideal. Under ideal conditions (adequate light), the HD700 can come closer, but still loses to the HD1000 every time. Also, the EIS and focusing seem much better on the 1000. I do disagree on the ergo front though, I find the HD1000 to be one of the most ergonomic cams I've ever used, it feels perfect in my hand. That said, I also like the ergo of the HD700, for a much smaller cam, they seem to have nailed the design on that cam too. The main problem with the HD1000 is size, it's a lot bigger, that's for sure. I'll post more as I learn more...
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:53 AM   #119

Hello Iceland ;-)
Thank you for this very interesting comparison HD1000 - HD700

Would you have had the opportunity to do the same with the great XACTI CA65 ?

It could be a very usefull information for my XACTI (FRENCH) FORUM...

XACTI (FRENCH) FORUM :
-->
http://box112.free.fr/index.php?lng=fr

my XACTI comparison special page
(in FRENCH) :
--> http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/sample.html

WELCOME :bye:
anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:02 AM   #120

Thanks very much IcelandFan and Taynt3d for the feedback, the first comparing the two. Not entirely a surprise, given the larger size, lensand price of the HD1000, but interesting to have confirmed that the 4MP stills are not onlyless noisythan the HD700's 7MP stills, but clearer(ArizonaVideo made atheoretical comment about this near the beginning of the HD1000 thread).