Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:29 AM   #1191

What do you expect from such a small cam with that little lens?!

*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:44 AM   #1192

chuckstar wrote:
Quote:
My new HD700 just arrived and I am really dissapointed.
I have a 2 year old Sanyo HD1 and was expecting the quality to improve.
Both the video and still quality (which is supposed to be 7mp vs 5mp) are WORSE.
This is quite useful to know, because I have been considering getting the HD700 as a replacement for the HD2, which I find a bit bulky compared to my old C6.

I did wonder about the quality, despite the 700's better compression (H.264/X.264). Because judging by photos, the lens is greatly smaller.

How do you find its form factor though? Is the 700 significantly more compact and easy to hold/carry/slip in a pocket than your HD1?

How much worse is still photo quality?
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1193

The HD700 is much chunkier than the C6, as Sanyo have progressively claimed that their users like a chunkier feel. Unfortunately they don't fit as easily in pockets as the early Sanyos did. I still use my C6 as a pocket camera

The HD700 video is pretty bad, both my Kodak V1073 and V1253 take much better video (but fully auto, no adjustments). However, although they are small they have big LCD screens easily crushed in a pocket

Additionally, there is a CCD imager batch problem which Sanyo is being cagey about, so make sure you actually have the HD700 in your hand so you can check it out before buying.
http://www.vimeo.com/1207022

Don't sweat the compression type, the rate is more important. The HD700 does have the same data rate as the HD1000, but the excessive CCD noise on indoors images makes the compression work so much harder.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 3:40 PM   #1194

... Hm?! The hd700 is a really nice cam for its extremely small size and lens .
It fits in small jeans pockets and can be always with you. Plus it has the great built-in editor and xacti library feature with usb-drives.
See some clips to and make your own opinion:

http://www.vimeo.com/765095
http://www.vimeo.com/1055604
http://www.vimeo.com/856230
http://www.vimeo.com/794341
*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:55 PM   #1195

Anyone know if I can buy just another docking station? I have one hooked up to a USB drive and to my TV, but I also like copying this to the PC and dont want to have to keep removing the SDHC card from the camcorder to do that...
rajeshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:13 AM   #1196

yep good point, another docking station would be very useful
rdesouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:40 AM   #1197

I bought my HD700 in Japan and the docking station wasn't included - noticed it's sold as an optional extra -

http://www.google.com.au/translate?u...l=ja&tl=en

Haven't been too fussed as I normally copy off SD to PC and hardly used the docking station of my old C6 to watch videos off the camera directly.

While HD700 videolooks better than my C6 on a HD TV, the colours captured with the C6 are more vibrant.

Wonder how the video quality of the upcoming HD800 is improved - price seems to be about the same as the HD700. Discussion thread here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27
eyew28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:50 AM   #1198

i've had this camera for 2 months now and i have to say it's a piece of junk.

my first problem is the video, it cannot be edited in any program, i tried on 10 different programs and nothing, mp4 is not a standard for NLE programs probably because the quality is bad.

second are the pictures, in the daylight it takes some nice pictures and i took plenty of them but as soon as it got a bit darker you can't see anything on your screen at 200 iso.

the video is the same, at 200 iso even during the day it's dark so i had to use auto and with alot of light you didn't even notice any noise.

the reason for all the noise is the small lense, not enough light gets in, i wonder if the hd1000 witch appears to have a larger lense works better.

also the fact that there is a flash does not help because the pictures gome out grainy, even at 200 iso, i mean my nokia n73 has a smaller lense and takes great pictures at 3.2 mp with the incorporated flash and it's noise free, so that means they could have made the software of the camera a bit better (internal software/firmware) they had to make like that so the camera can run smoothly b capturing crap (pardon my english).

and also the fact that when you switch to 720p mode your image gets larger and it's like the cmaera zooms in 2-3x witch sucks for tight spaces so your forced to use the tv quality.

i advise for everyone to stay away from this camera and sanyo in general, save your money and by a panasonic or sony for better firmware, canon for better lense and jvc for quantity, besides any SD camera is better than this.

so i'm selling this camera on ebay again and buying a canon hv20 witch shoots in 24p mode also and even though its dv tape theres not much i can do.

thanks for listening.
carlsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:23 PM   #1199

carlsandoval wrote:
Quote:

my first problem is the video, it cannot be edited in any program, i tried on 10 different programs and nothing, mp4 is not a standard for NLE programs probably because the quality is bad.

second are the pictures, in the daylight it takes some nice pictures and i took plenty of them but as soon as it got a bit darker you can't see anything on your screen at 200 iso.

the video is the same, at 200 iso even during the day it's dark so i had to use auto and with alot of light you didn't even notice any noise.

the reason for all the noise is the small lense, not enough light gets in, i wonder if the hd1000 witch appears to have a larger lense works better.

also the fact that there is a flash does not help because the pictures gome out grainy, even at 200 iso, i mean my nokia n73 has a smaller lense and takes great pictures at 3.2 mp with the incorporated flash and it's noise free, so that means they could have made the software of the camera a bit better (internal software/firmware) they had to make like that so the camera can run smoothly b capturing crap (pardon my english).

and also the fact that when you switch to 720p mode your image gets larger and it's like the cmaera zooms in 2-3x witch sucks for tight spaces so your forced to use the tv quality.

i advise for everyone to stay away from this camera and sanyo in general, save your money and by a panasonic or sony for better firmware, canon for better lense and jvc for quantity, besides any SD camera is better than this.

so i'm selling this camera on ebay again and buying a canon hv20 witch shoots in 24p mode also and even though its dv tape theres not much i can do.

thanks for listening.
I think your expectations were a little too high for such a compact camera.
You're canon hv20 is not the same price as the hd700, the canon hv20 is not going to fit into your pocket like the hd700.
Its like comparing a compact point and shoot camera to a dslr... you simply cant do that. All compact cameras have problems with low light, that's a given.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1200

carlsandoval wrote:
Quote:

thanks for listening.
I dont think you knew what you were getting.... YOU CAN edit the video.. I do it all the time in PREMIER ELEMENTS.. ALso, if you were getting it to use as a still camera... forget it.. it does take nice daylight photos but not so good at night although if you set things right, it works pretty good.. same with the video.. you need to know how to set the various settings to get the best quality.. I use mine almost every weekend and I love it... Im even going to take it on a cruise as my main video camera...

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote