Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:53 PM   #1201

as the cam is good as the user, so many controls I tend to just allow the cam to do its job, rather miss a shot.

editing I own quite a few programs, and cannot master one in a short time, but taking the time to edit will pay off.

djqwik wrote:
Quote:
carlsandoval wrote:
Quote:
i've had this camera for 2 months now and i have to say it's a piece of junk.

my first problem is the video, it cannot be edited in any program, i tried on 10 different programs and nothing, mp4 is not a standard for NLE programs probably because the quality is bad.

second are the pictures, in the daylight it takes some nice pictures and i took plenty of them but as soon as it got a bit darker you can't see anything on your screen at 200 iso.

the video is the same, at 200 iso even during the day it's dark so i had to use auto and with alot of light you didn't even notice any noise.

the reason for all the noise is the small lense, not enough light gets in, i wonder if the hd1000 witch appears to have a larger lense works better.

also the fact that there is a flash does not help because the pictures gome out grainy, even at 200 iso, i mean my nokia n73 has a smaller lense and takes great pictures at 3.2 mp with the incorporated flash and it's noise free, so that means they could have made the software of the camera a bit better (internal software/firmware) they had to make like that so the camera can run smoothly b capturing crap (pardon my english).

and also the fact that when you switch to 720p mode your image gets larger and it's like the cmaera zooms in 2-3x witch sucks for tight spaces so your forced to use the tv quality.

i advise for everyone to stay away from this camera and sanyo in general, save your money and by a panasonic or sony for better firmware, canon for better lense and jvc for quantity, besides any SD camera is better than this.

so i'm selling this camera on ebay again and buying a canon hv20 witch shoots in 24p mode also and even though its dv tape theres not much i can do.

thanks for listening.
I dont think you knew what you were getting.... YOU CAN edit the video.. I do it all the time in PREMIER ELEMENTS.. ALso, if you were getting it to use as a still camera... forget it.. it does take nice daylight photos but not so good at night although if you set things right, it works pretty good.. same with the video.. you need to know how to set the various settings to get the best quality.. I use mine almost every weekend and I love it... Im even going to take it on a cruise as my main video camera...

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:13 AM   #1202

Hi,
I've read a lot of your notes. Interesting stuff... I got the camera last Friday... Unfortunately, I have been disappointed.

First, the first time I use it, I am taking pictures of my son, about 1 - 2 feet away, my sons face was going out of focus, and back in focus as I was not moving, and he was lying down on the bed, so it wasn't like there was movement.

I was able to replicate this in few instances, in doors.

The picture is grainy, I am talking video, still pictures are not as important to me. Object far away are not as clear as I expected....

Everything I thought is just the camera... but the focus in and out while shooting was to me a DEFECT! So I contact Sanyo, and indeed they thought it's normal! But I do not understand and never had a camera in my life, even 15 years ago that once you are taking video goes out of focus while you are not moving or zooming. See the video I
captures in low resolution because I wanted to send it via email to support:

http://www.vimeo.com/1665722

Can someone tell me if this is Normal. I have another one with my son, same thing!! I was not zooming in and out, I was not using digital zoom, I always disable digital zoom.

I tried the Standard and Full range focus, I tried the 9E and the centered focus (not sure the name).

also, pictures at home are always grainy, video...

HD pictures outside are OK, but not SUBERB HD 720P like some stuff I see.

Am I missing something, so I have a defective camera, any help I would apprecaite.

I am seriously thinking of returning this camera. I can accept some grainy videos, you know, you get what you pay for, but the in/out of focus to me is just BAD!

Thanks.
ssss25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:24 AM   #1203

I grabbed a video of someone taking a 720P of his eye and then zoom out. IT WAS EXCELLENT! I wonder what settings he was using, and did he direct a good light source at his face?? I almost cannot believe it was the HD700!

Anyone know the video I am talking about?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 6:47 PM   #1204

I did some more testing, to make this very easy to see. Just put camera on TRIPOD. Zoom to MAX Optical (5x), I disabled the digital so I zoomed to max optical possible. Then get about 1 foot away, and see how bad it is... in medium to high light room..

If you want to even make it happen when you are further, take a picture of something dark, or black....

Yes. tried super micro mode when I Was a foot away. Same thing.

In both cases the out of zoom will be in and out and 80% out, 20% in!! Horrible. IF someone tells me that is Normal for this camera, or is this a defect?! I cannot believe that the camera made it to market with this problem, few feet away, and zoomed using optical and I Cannot get a clear picture!! What is the point of ZOOMing then!?!

Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 6:58 PM   #1205

I don't own your camera but something even with digital still cameras they have a minimum focus distance when you zoom. If you have a look at the manual it should give you the minimum focus distance at full zoom.

I just tried my HD1010 at full zoom which I know is 10 not 5 but it would focus OK down to about 5 feet. Just as a test set the camera up again and this time try and take a photo by half pressing the button and see if you get a focus lock. You may be on the border of where the camera can focus so in movie mode it is jumping in and out of focus.

Another suggestion is to take it back to the shop where you bought it and ask them to show you how to get a proper in focus video. When they can't do it, this will show you it is a defective camera and ask for it to be repaired or replaced.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 7:26 PM   #1206

Thanks Relate2,

Te only thing I can see in my manual is something called Range, and its:

Total Mode:
10cm (3.94 inch) to infinity (wide end)
80cm (31.5 Inch) to infinity (tele end)

Normal Mode:
80 cm (31.5 Inch) to infinity

Super Macro Mode:
1cm (0.39 inch) to 80cm, wide end only.

Not sure what Wide end and Tele end is, but I See this as super macro should do 1cm, the shots I took where I had horrible focus issues was 2 foot, and another one was 4 or 5 feet, but max zoom.

When you said "I just tried my HD1010 at full zoom which I know is 10 not 5 but it would focus OK down to about 5 feet"

I cannot believe that if I Want to take a close up of my son, the picture will be out of focus, I have non HD digital cameras in the past and I never had to worry about focus and zoom...

NOTE: I bought from a web store, NCIX, so I don't really have the luxury or going to them

Has anyone experienced what I am talking about. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:40 PM   #1207

ssss25 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Relate2,

Te only thing I can see in my manual is something called Range, and its:

Total Mode:
10cm (3.94 inch) to infinity (wide end)
80cm (31.5 Inch) to infinity (tele end)

Normal Mode:
80 cm (31.5 Inch) to infinity

Super Macro Mode:
1cm (0.39 inch) to 80cm, wide end only.

Not sure what Wide end and Tele end is, but I See this as super macro should do 1cm, the shots I took where I had horrible focus issues was 2 foot, and another one was 4 or 5 feet, but max zoom.

When you said "I just tried my HD1010 at full zoom which I know is 10 not 5 but it would focus OK down to about 5 feet"

I cannot believe that if I Want to take a close up of my son, the picture will be out of focus, I have non HD digital cameras in the past and I never had to worry about focus and zoom...

NOTE: I bought from a web store, NCIX, so I don't really have the luxury or going to them

Has anyone experienced what I am talking about. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.
Tele end is max zoom so that means the closest the camera will focus at max zoom is 80cm (31.5 Inch)

So if you are closer than 80cm at full zoom the video will be blurred and won't focus properly.

Wide end is zoomed all the way out so that means the closest the camera will focus at widest angle is 10cm (3.94 inch)

Just one thing about macro mode it also has a focus range. Yes it may be able to focus down to 1cm but if you are further away than 80cm it will not focus.

It would be nice is someone here with the same camera as yours could do a simple test and let you know how their camera performs.

I must say if you are filming within the ranges mentioned above and still getting blurry videos I would send the camera to Sanyo under warranty for repairs.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:21 AM   #1208

Hello All

First post here but I have been following this thread since I bought my HD700 3 weeks ago.

I am having indentical focus hunting issues, it is a major drawback for me in what is otherwisea good product. I get focus cycling in and out at about 1 - 2 sec freq with zoom 1/2 full and subject 6 feet away. That should put it well outside the range limitsbeing discussed here.

I have changed every setting I can think of and no improvement. The work-around I am using is to have focuc-lock on my shortcuts, and hope to be lucky enough to lock in when the focus is correct.

Not great.

Greetings, some great advice in here!

climbthrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:46 PM   #1209

Hi,

I just bought HD700 about 2 months ago and I'm also faced with a similar problem of lots of red eyes and white/silver eyes that cannot be corrected. I was browsing through this forum but did not find a response to your question. Did you manage to have any responses or solutions?

nt421
nt421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:17 AM   #1210

I have been trying to edit the video (MPEG4 format)taken with my HD700 with the Adobe Premiere software bundled, however it was unable to evenrecognise any video files except for WMV format files.

Pls help to advise how do I go about edit the video taken with my HD700.
nt421 is offline   Reply With Quote