Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:17 PM   #1221

Actually that is a good sign as it points more towards lens flare than a fault in the sensor.

Two things to try.

1. Zoom in just a touch.

2. Get a lens hood or use your hand to stop the light falling on the front of the lens.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1222

To me, it looks more like a "codec Compression" problem. The evidence is when you stop freeze the video (i downloaded the flick), you can clearly see a verticle line but it is related to glare compression as it only interupts itself exactly halfway in the center.

There is too much motion for the codec to compress all that info in one time so something had to give...this is my opinion. And I'll add that fast water motion on most videos causes these (not verticle lines but probably other artifacts) problem minus those extremely expensive high definition cameras. Remember that the mp4 is being compressed bigtime "on the fly"

If you don't like the result, return it for another. I doubt is the camera lense itself but if you do get that verticle line on occasions, its a camera problem.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 3:54 AM   #1223

Hello
I am sad to report that on a vacation, amidst all the evitement with my 2 little kids, I forgot 3 had the camera in my shorts, and went into the water enough that the camera doesn't start up. I removed the Batteries and put it back in, as well as charged it again, but no luck? Is it toast? Any advice on what else 3 can try to make it work? Can someone also post their tech support # ?

TIA
rajeshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 4:18 AM   #1224

return it if you still have a warranty. Tell them it doesnt work and thats it. if your warranty is dated, leave it alone for 2 weeks in dry and warm temp. have someone...well if you know how to use a volt meter, use it to check if the battery is dead.

....hmmmm you cant charge it huh.

okay then leave it alone in a dry and open area for 2 weeks. Needs to be warm for the water to evaporate. rotate the camera from one side to another so that it will move water inside every day move it from one side then next day to another.

after 2 weeks, put the battery in it and connect it to a powerstrip with a auto kill switch. See if the red light comes on in the back top. If it comes on, wait 5 minutes and try to turn on camera just to see if it goes on. make sure you are in an area like a 5x5 cement floor when connecting it. we dont want a fire. I dont recommend this method but I am telling you what I would do.

what I would do is return it if the manufacturer warranty is in effect.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:52 PM   #1225

Thanks. I am in Hawaii, halfway through my 8 day trip, and this happened on the 1st day!

Its pretty warm here,its been a few warm days inside the house... But will keep it out in the sun now.

I've had it less than a year... So I am assuming its still in warranty. When I get back, I will most likely return it... I was mainly trying to see if there was some way to salvage it while I m still on the vacation.
Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:01 PM   #1226

ohh dont put it under direct sunlight. if your on vacation, try it in 3 days after the fact. the 2 weeks is just to make sure. but turn the camera from one side to the other every other day to move the left over water. make sure the battery is not connected.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1227

Well, I did end up keeping it inside a plastic box in the sun... Just put the battery, and connected power, and at least the red light comes on . Now will wait for sometime before trying to turn it on.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 28, 2008, 1:10 AM   #1228

I fly a hang glider and I have seen people land their gliders into salt water immersing their instruments in the water. They have successfully revived their instruments by dropping them immediately into a bucket of fresh water to dissolve the salt, minus the battery. Then doing as the previous person posted drying them out slowly.

Good luck.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 2:42 AM   #1229

ya you should of said you are on vacation, you said, "on a vacation" Sounded like you just got back.

Anyway, it should work. Like relate2 says, redipping it in water to remove salt cuz salt corrodes medals. It should work by now infact. also, i was imagening a swimming pool. If you were just on a regular swimming pool, no need to redip! :-)
Old Oct 4, 2008, 2:15 AM   #1230

Hello,
actually I was typing on a blackberry while I was on vacation ( as I said)...hence the typos and such.

Now, I am back..and while the red light goes on at times, when I connect the power cord, I still cannot get to turn it on when I press the power on/off ( and no, I havent tried the voltmeter thing to check the battery as I dont have a voltmeter).

Btw, I never thought of redipping it in water to get the salt out. I guess it maybe too late anyways?

Wrt warranty, when I looked at the warranty paper, it seemed its one of those things where you have to take it to some repair center ( I cannot seem to locate one using my addresss at sanyoservice.com, so I will have to call the toll-free number on a weekday). So does anyone know if I have to send it in, and they may try to fix the same one?

Thanks again.