Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 4, 2008, 5:28 AM   #1231

ouch! Really sucks.:shock:
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:48 PM   #1232

You won't get any satisfaction from a warranty repair. They'll see right way that there are salt deposits inside and there's a good chance that corrosion has already started. The salt is what's probably keeping the camera from starting up because its shorting some of the electronics.

When I dunked my HD2 into river water, I dried it out for a week and it started right up. The bad news was that you could nowsee the water spots that were left on the lens and sensor. I had to completely disassemble the lens and sensor assembly to clean it up. So drying it out and getting it started does not solve all your problems.
ericok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:40 PM   #1233

I had bought my HD700 April this year(2008) and had a lot of great experience on it. Last saturday i was using it on my friend's birthday party as well and everything is alright. But at the next day i tried to use it but fail to operate. I pretty sure that there is no accident like droping or watever (as i am a camera lover), but it just fail to turn on. I try to connect to the power adapter with and without a battery in it, still no response.

May i know it there someone here facing the same problem and can give me some help? Thanks a lot...:cart:
cutexiaobai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:37 AM   #1234

cutexiaobai,

I've got the similar situation with my HD700 and the reason was my new SDHC 8GB card.
At the moment I didn't have another card so I just moved off and on the card a couple times and the probelm disappered. Later I've figured out that it happens any time near the water with this specific card.
Now I mostly use my old 2GB SD card which I have since my old C6 and never get this problem back.
By the way, from my point of view, 28 minutes video of 2GB SD cards much more convinient for me than 1.8 hrs of 8GB ones.

FZKAP

P.S. And one more thing: Currently I use my HD700 mostly in 640x480 mode and have about 1.5 hr of video even on 2GB card. Doesn't make cense for me to get HD shootage and put it on regular DVD...
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:20 PM   #1235

Dear FZKAP,

Thanks for your reply. I try allyour steps but it did not solve my problem.. I try to plug in the power supply and it does charging the battery with the red indigating light on.. however when i press the power button, it stop charging straight away and fail to on as well... hope someonecan give me more advice..:cart:
cutexiaobai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 2:32 PM   #1236

Here are some new vidoes I took with my camera. Let me know how you like them...

http://www.motionbox.com/folders/719...box_shareemail

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:27 PM   #1237

hopefully someone can help.. I havent used the XACTI library in a few months. I just went on a trip and now am trying to use the library to copy the data to my hard drive.. I plugged the drive with the xaci library adapter cable into the docking station but my camera does not go into the library mode ... the USB hard drive works on my PC fine so thats not the issue. Maybe I am missing a step?

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:48 PM   #1238

Hi, I'm new here. Very nice forum I must say, it helped me a lot when deciding what cam to choose.

I went for the HD700, kind of a yesteryear's cam at this point that is sold at really great prices. HD800 is barely purchasable but it doesn't seem much better, especially not considering the price difference,

I'm in Europe which means we see very different prices from what my American friends are enjoying, bought mine a few days ago for approx 300 Euros - with a 3 year warranty no less.

I'm very happy with this cam, maybe it is because I'm not very difficult to please but I also think it has quite a lot to do with the cam itself.

A few weeks ago I decided I really needed a cam, a simple one that records to flash memory. I purchased a Samsung Mx-20 for about 200 Euros, worked ok but the movie quality was rather webcam-like. Fair enough, not expecting very much at this price point. However, I was really put off by this particular cam's annoying vignetting at full wide, got it replaced for another one. Same phenomenon with this one, got my money back.

Then I found this HD700 at a great price, not that much more expensive (50% more).

What an enormous difference in movie quality! It is not even in the same universe.

However, at first I was troubled by a phenomenon that has been described here by a poster (Trevmar), a strange band of discoloration to the left, greenish. Conditions: high ISO, low light.

I requested a RMA for replacing the unit. However...

Today I continued my tests, digging deeper. Turned out that the discoloration effect was ameliorated to the point of not being possible to detect anymore. Maybe it was a "burn-in" phenomenon, maybe it was an effect of my initial tests being performed on a newly recharged and quite hot cam. For CCD's, high temperature is known to produce noise problems.

Right now, the "greenish vertical band to the left" effect can only be seen in the cam's display in some extreme high ISO circumstances: it does not show in the recorded footage anymore. Quite remarkable change I must say.

So I'm not sending this unit back, it is a keeper most definitely.

The physical format of this thing is superb, the video quality is lightyears ahead of the budget SD cams in the same price range, which is more that good enough for my purposes.

It is not very good at capturing video in extreme low-light conditions but it is not too bad at it either. Just keep the ISO at or below 200 and it turns out quite ok. In normal daylight conditions the result is stunning, especially compared to the SD alternatives in this price range. Provided of course that you manage to hold the cam still, very difficult with tiny handhelds like this one but there are ways.

Bottom line; I couldn't be happier with this choice of a pocketable video cam! Only remaining annoyance is that lens cap but what the hell...
hsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:46 AM   #1239

Check out those beautiful videos made by Marien Malet: http://www.vimeo.com/marien/videos/sort:date

Enjoy!
hsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:42 PM   #1240

It's been 1 year and 1 month since I ordered my Xacti 700. It's completely broken. LCD has the date burned in, none of the buttons work, it's out of focus completely and won't zoom in/out/focus. Sanyo won't cover it since it is 1 month out of warranty. They want to charge me $200 or $250 to to fix the camera I paid $350 for. No thanks. I won't be buying another Sanyo again. You get what you pay for.
pastapuck is offline   Reply With Quote