Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:42 AM   #1241

Hi!
I'm going to buy a pocket size video camera and I'm choosing between HD700 and Sony's TG3.

Pros and Cons:
TG3 as better optical zoom: 5 vs 10x
HD700 is smaller, lighter and more ergonomic
TG3 as better video image (although interlaced is worse for conversions)
HD700 as better photos
TG3 is more robust
HD700 uses SDHC (maybe up to 32GB, although I've read somewhere that was 8GB) which is better than MS (up to 16GB)
TG3 as LCD touch screen
HD700 as better LCD resolution: 211k vs 230k
TG3 as better sound: stereo vs surround5.1
HD700 as MP4 files -> light, easy to read
TG3 AVCHD -> not readable everywhere and heavy to edit (timeconsuming)

Is all above that I've said true? Please help me choose between the 2 (or give new ones that may be rivals of this 2, if exist).
Also there is the Sanyo HD1010 but this is much bigger than these 2, right? I want a small camera that fits in any pocket.
Also what do you think of Panasonic SDR-S10E-K resiste?
quide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:56 AM   #1242

I bought Sanyo HD700 while ago and I really have to say, I am a bit disappointed. Still picture quality is bad when shooting indoors and in low-light, it has too much grain no matter which ISO setting you use. Red-eyes are big problem when taking pictures with flash, build-in automatic software correction fails too often to fix red-eyes when faces are sideways and not looking directly at camera.

Otherwise video quality is quite good and sound quality is really amazing compared to my previous Aiptek AHD-200 hybrid. But I really think I should have bought HD1000 instead, pricing isn't that different anymore. I always carry camera to my jacket pocket so HD1000 should fit there perfectly well also, I tought 7MP is better than 4 MP, but I guess I was wrong about that. Even my Aiptek AHD200 has better red-eye removal than HD700. I only want one camera to carry around, now I need both Aiptek and Sanyo to take good pictures pictures with flash and good video, not good.

In Sanyo I like that I can edit video effortless in camera and even extract still pictures from video footage, this is great feature.

Outdoor pictures are quite good and as long there is lots of light still pictures come out good, but in low light and with flash result is catastrophic, then I better use my good old Aiptek with bright pre-flash and take better pictures, I really hate fixing red-eyes afterwards in HD700.

I might been upgrading for something else, because HD700 was little bit disappointing in still picture department. What kind of red-eye removal is in HD1000, is it double flash (pre-flash) or something else, do you get red-eye problem with HD1000 also? How about HD1010 or HD2000?

How about buying somekind of slave flash, is that enough to remove red-eye problems in HD700, has anybody experience about that?

I forgot to mention there is big auto white balance (AWB) problem in my camera when shooting video in almost completely white rooms like bedroom and bathroom, white balance is sometimes drifting from white to yellow, is this kind of AWB problem common in HD700? In my Aiptek AHD200 I never noticed this kind of behaviour, is my HD700 defective?
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:12 AM   #1243

Hi,

After reading the last 125 pages of this thread, I've purchased a HD700 from digitalrev on au/ebay. I paid $300 AUD delivered and after reading everyones opinions and thoughts on it, cant wait till i receive it sometime this week. I also went out to check a CG10 today but didnt like the fact that it had an annoying voice prompt and no docking station.

They are such a nice device to hold and i will be using this mainly for family orientated video footage.

fishycomics, visorblue, subc & caelum just wondering do you guys still have your HD700 and is it still holding up fairly well? It has been 2 years since most of you purchased so you all may have upgraded to bigger and better things.

also wondering does anyone own this set of wide angle for the HD700 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=220196870001 do these fit straight on the hd700, i dont mind if they vignette in still mode.

also has anyone had any issues with the non oem replacement chargers and batteries on ebay?

thanks!
jscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:03 AM   #1244

@jscc

I never really purchased the HD700 because of the narrow field of view, however I wish I had instead of spending money on a couple of cheaper brands. After all, my best camera as of yet was made by Sanyo (a CG65).

I can tell you this: on the HD700, with a decent wide angle adapter to increase the FOV, the fact that is 720P and that it has a CCD (instead of CMOS sensor), there's really very little fault to be found. I hope you enjoy your camera and don't forget to post footage.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:26 PM   #1245

thanks subc, their quite cheap when you get it from hongkong although a CG10 here in Aus is currently for sale for $398 and i think these are even cheaper in the US.

i'll most likely end up with the fotodiox wide angle kit, which comes with a telephoto lens as well, the ring size is 27mm so its the same as the large Phoenix Power .45m lens.

Will make myself a vimeo account, probably the first footage i upload will be my mates motorcycle which was in the build but is in the final stages of completion.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:08 PM   #1246

nice. One thing you will not get from the HD700 (that you would most likely end up getting because of the cmos sensor) is wooble. Keep us update with some footage when you get it.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 6:22 AM   #1247

well got my camera today and in the stages of testing it out, really digging this camera, the hold is great and still getting used to the functions. im a photography and camcorder noob.

will take it out to the workshop 2morro and will hopefully have some footage uploaded tomorrow night.

does anyone have opinions on the fotodiox magnetic lenses, i found a review on these forums but was after HD700 opinions as the fotodiox wideangle lens didn't do too well on the aiptek.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 4:48 PM   #1248

watch for very bright sources of light! hd700 is a CCD based cam, so is prone to displaying a long vertical line on bright lights. Just keep an eye for that and plans your shots.. and everything will be fine
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:10 PM   #1249

Finally I've purchased an HD700 too (190€). Initially I wanted to take a CA9, but I was too afraid of the CMOS sensor and its wobble magic power
bimkif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:28 PM   #1250

subc, yes i've seen some clips where they get that vertical line, and i experienced some in the car yesterday from the reflection of other vehicles

but i've made a video of my brothers bike, wasnt able to head out to the workshop to see my mates bike but his is good enough. nice and shiny it does need a wash tho but its all good still.

bimkif, good purchase you won't be disappointed, just remember that the camera does a great job in good light, indoor footage is good not as clear as i would like it, but i can't complain. just remember to play around with the settings and enjoy!

forgot to add the link to vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/5359712

im only on a basic account so one HD a week. i also have on order the fotodiox wideangle and telephoto lens from ebay, paid $42 AUD delivered, if you submit an offer on ebay they accepted $27 USD. for the price of one lens (generic m-power wideangle) i got two. shall report how the lens works as the HD700 is hopeless when its at its widest.

Last edited by jscc; Jun 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM.