Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:46 PM   #1251

that is some nice footage there jscc. when we shoot something with an actual purpose, it tends to give good results like your video... unlike many videos i've seen swinging the camera around trying to find something to focus on while shooting. That rarely yields good results. excellent footage and great quality
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:59 AM   #1252

thanks subc, no talent of mine, just the awesomeness of the camera.

if anyones still looking at this thread you can pick up genuine db-l40 batteries from an ebay seller dcempire

i just got mine when it was on special for $15 USD delivered, and it looks very genuine, comes with a nice slip for the battery and a sanyo box and information slip

just waiting to test it now
jscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 6:23 PM   #1253

I received my HD700 yesterday, but it seems there is a problem when filming in low-light (with normal indoor lights): the left side of the video is colored in green. It's not related to the place of the light or anything like that, it's always the left side :/

Here is an example:
- raw mp4 file
- half resolution, quick xvid reencod

Here is another example (blue becomes green):
- raw mp4 file

When I force ISO 800 and zoom, it seems even worse:
- raw mp4 file

However, in daylight it seems to be ok:
- raw mp4 file

Do you have any idea of what could cause this ?
bimkif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 6:36 PM   #1254

If the lens is clean and this happens ALL the time, then I would say you got a defective sensor and you should file for a replacement. sad
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:10 AM   #1255

Yes the lens was clean, and it happened all the time (if light was low). So i just returned it for replacement...
Old Jul 7, 2009, 4:10 PM   #1256

Same green tinge was evident in the HD700 I bought. And also evident in the replacement I also bought (because I needed a working HD700 in a hurry). At that point I just returned both and gave up on this Sanyo model. I think the Brown colored HD700s are worst, as I once had an early production silver HD700 which was OK (although noisy at low light). See my sample video at:

http://www.vimeo.com/1207022

Last edited by Trevmar; Jul 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM.
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:48 PM   #1257

Thank you for the information Trevmar.
Indeed it was a brown one (they no longer have the other models there).
To be honest I was already almost sure they would return me a product with the exact same defect.
It's not the first time I encounter such problem in my "buyer experience": constructors realize they have a batch of products with minor defect, they sell them at low price to resellers, which in turn can sell them at attractive prices, hoping that the customers won't notice the defect... Of course none of them will admit it, and the persons you can contact will act as if you were the first person telling them about it.
Well if the replacement product is defective, then I guess I will do like the last time it happened to me: I can use phone at work to call the customer contact, and they send me prepaid postage labels, so I will return the defective replacement products until they admit they don't have such a working product available....
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:13 AM   #1258

I moved to using the Canon HF100 for all my serious work (I have four of them now) while using a Kodak v1073 as my pocket video camera (mono sound), backed up by a Z1012 (stereo sound with better zoom). The Kodaks will not win any usability awards, but they work well enough in low light, and take a good 1280x720 movie (30 minutes max continuous). An HF100, with a 32Gig SDHC card and a BP-427 battery, will record continuously 1920x1080 for over 4 hours...

All my HF100 work is at 24p. I use Cineform when editing the AVCHD.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:52 PM   #1259

I never noticed this before but as you mentioned it, my camera seem to also have green tinge in left side of video picture especially with big ISO values, It looks like it is systematic problem in sensor type they use for Sanyo HD700. Well it is only one defect more to add in the list. What can I say, I am not very pleased to my camera. Bad red-eye problem with internal flash, bad auto white balance problem indoors (too yellow video color sometimes under fluorescent light) and low light performance is bad. What could I say, I wish I have bought something else.

I considered buying Casio EX-F1 hybrid, but it has stupid 29 minutes limit in EU so it is no good for me also, I need atleast 45 minutes continous recording. I need good hybrid camera with good OIS and atleast 10x optical zoom and good pop-up flash with red-eye reduction which is working and atleast 45 minutes recording time and camcorder like robust lens structure without extracting lens (I hate failing lens motors), too bad nobody manufactures these kind of cameras yet. I have also considered to upgrade Canon EOS 500D with good 18-200mm OIS lens, but when you zoom you get annoying zoom noise from manual SLR zoom lens and no stereo, so expensive camera and no stereo audio and this camera is no good once again. I am too tired for searching holy grail of ultimate hybrid which is good in both ways, maybe I will soon buy both, good SLR digital camera and video camera and forget all these so called hybrids. Yes they are small and convinient, but they are really pain if you want some good quality in your photos and videos. This is only my hobby nothing more or less, maybe I will upgrade or not.

Last edited by Quenaelin; Jul 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:57 PM   #1260

Quenaelin,
I had the same problem. Nowadays, I always carry my little V1073 in a pocket, and it works well enough, although focus is lost in a fast zoom, and the screen is hard to see in daylight. It has OIS. Noise is not a problem, mono audio is a pain. Still, I got a lot of nice panda videos with it when I found myself (surprised) at the local panda sanctuary in China recently... It is good enough for candid video - small and inexpensive

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...requestid=3070

The Z1012 is used when I am carrying a camera around my neck. It offers stereo audio over the V1073, and a peep-through viewfinder excellent for use out-of-doors. Full manual still photos, but video exposure is fully automatic - which is a pain.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

And if I expect to be getting some good video I take one (or two) HF100s along - with my super-compact Benro C-269 tripod.

That's been my solution for the past year or so... since I saw how bad the HD1000 was in low light...