Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:24 PM   #131

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
[...]I think the main problem is that folks buy these things with way bigger expectations than they should going in, and then they set themselves up for dissapointment, and IMHO, completely miss the whole point of these AWESOME units.
QFT :-). Certainly everyone's feedback helps others understand and make decisions (although we often tend to come to conclusionsbased on one). I've been a big fan of the take everywhere Xactis (including theHD700) and have been satisfied with the results I'm getting, many of them excellent, butperhaps I haven'tbothered (recently) toemphasize thedifferencesfor (ultra-)compact cameras. Most areaware of the general size/performance differences, but then I guess I still hear from friends and familytheir surprise thattheir more expensive newtiny ultra-compact's (Sony) pictures are not as good as the ones fromtheir bigger camera.

I have a videographer friend, he carries around large cameras, huge tripods, and even has a Steadycam harness (all $$$). He's laughed atmy Xactis (I've laughed when he hurt his back), but when he shoots it's a staged production and everyone is aware; he's been very surprised atthe kind of intimate and/or spontaneous footage I've capturedatunexpected times and places (I've yet to break a major news story as I've not witnessed any dramatic event :-)).I also havefriends and family who use camcorders, some of them very small miniDV units, but still, for some reason they still need camera bags and can't slip it into their pockets to take everywhere. They have to have a very good reason to take it with them. So I'm often capturing events no one else could.

Once you've travelled unencumbered with an Xacti, it's difficult to move up to something even just a little bulkier. The HD700 is bigger than the C6 and CG65 were,so I find myselfwearing cargo pantsmore often for the side pockets now; any bigger and I wouldn't carry it around everywhere. Certainly if portability is not very high on your priority list, as Taynt3d wrote, consider a more conventional model. But it isstill, apparently, for now,the "world's smallest and lightest" HD camera, and it can produce very good results.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 5:25 PM   #132

You said it Caelum..... At the end of the day, if I never bought my first Xacti C1 I would have missed some beatuiful moments of my first child as I had it everywhere with me (I have video of him when he was 5 mins old) as opposed to my mini dv that sat in a bag in the corner and by the time I got it out, set it up and press rec the moment had passed. All the xacti models may not give you amazing quality video but they give you the opportunity to capture moments that you would otherwise have missed and that for me is why Icontinue to upgrade.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 5:40 PM   #133

No,no,no, Icdland Fan, I never said hd700 is better or of the same video quality as hd1000. I just find the 700p mode in my hd1000 is slightly better than the 1080i mode in my hd1000, played in my computer.
dongdongliushui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:12 PM   #134

dongdongliushui wrote:
Quote:
No,no,no, Icdland Fan, I never said hd700 is better or of the same video quality as hd1000. I just find the 700p mode in my hd1000 is slightly better than the 1080i mode in my hd1000, played in my computer.
That's most likely because you're playing interlaced footage on a progressive monitor, although we could debate the 720p vs. 1080i thing for days, LOL.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:24 PM   #135

Thanks, guys, for the comparison between the HD700 and HD1000. I had expected the performance to be virtually identical when using the same settings--aperture, speed, ISO, 700p/30. Obviously the sensor differentiates the cameras when all else is equal.
Outrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:44 PM   #136

Outrageous wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, guys, for the comparison between the HD700 and HD1000. I had expected the performance to be virtually identical when using the same settings--aperture, speed, ISO, 700p/30. Obviously the sensor differentiates the cameras when all else is equal.
The lenses are not equal either...
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:05 PM   #137

I've had some more time with the HD700 and at this point I really can't recommend it. I absolutely love the form factor, but this camera has some serious focus issues. The focus hunts way too much. Even while shooting a stationary object (I know I can lock focus - this was a test) the focus hunts and never really settles. So if you are shooting moving objects or panning forget it. You will get tons of out of focus recording. This is with stabilizer OFF by the way.

I wish this wasn't the case. When it does get the focus right, the video is great. But I'm finding I have to edit out way to many OOF segments to get usable video.

This isn't a case of unreasonably high expectations. Any camera these days should be able to focus properly in well lit environments...and it doesn't. Whether it's set at 9-point or spot, the HD700 just can't seem to get a sharp focused frame.

So while it's great to be able to carry the camera everywhere, it's meaningless if the footage is blurry. So unfortunately I think this one is going back and the search continues.

I'm not a hater and I'm not trying to put anyone who has bought the camera here down, but I just can't understand how it is highly praised with such a big handicap such as focus. I guess it all depends on how much you value your video quality. But even though I consider myself a "casual" camcorder user, when I do shoot, I want it to look good and be in focus.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer this opinion to others who may be lurking and need some feedback. Of course as with anything, YMMV.
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:03 PM   #138

Hi guys,

I didn't right messages here a long time - I was happy with my C6.
For some reasons it's time to go ahead with something new.
I thought it going to be HD700, but today I'm not sure.
May be I should take CG65 and wait for improved HD (after HD700) in a year or so.
I don't know.

I'd like to see your opinions.

Thank you in advance,
FZKAP
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:58 AM   #139

Focussing accuracy would depend on which mode was set. The default is multi field or whatever its called. To track a moving object, centre field or spot focus might be better.
exteecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:31 AM   #140

Thanks for the reply, but as I said, changing focus to 9-point or spot doesn't make a difference. Even when shooting a stationary object, I can see the focus hunt.

I will try to get a sample up tonight to explain what I am talking about. Maybe I just have a bad copy of the HD700, but I doubt it.
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote