Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:30 AM   #171

Ominx wrote:
Quote:
[...]when you say full auto, do you mean you have the switch on the LCD set to "Simple" or that you set all menu settings to "Auto"?
I mean the camera was in it's default, standard,mode, like when it first came out of the box,meaning I have not "set" any modes or settings. Basically, yes, all of the menu settings are either in "Auto" or"Normal"mode (i.e.: 9-point "full range" auto-focus, auto program mode, auto ISO / exposure / shutter, auto white balance, etc. ...nothing set to manual). The menu switchon the LCD was set to"Normal", but if it was set to "Simple" I imagine it would have done the exact same thing.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:02 PM   #172

That's what I thought. Your "worst" sample from the parking lot is exactly what I was initially frustrated with. The focus hunts in dark situations especially when using the zoom. But I think most, if not all, consumer cameras would do the same thing. You can overcome this by using manual focus which isn't nearly as difficult as one may think. When you reach proper focus, it is obvious. There aren't 2-3 steps in focus that may work. It's just one, and often close to infinity.
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 7:49 PM   #173

Hi Caelum, I have nothing to say but thank you. The "worst" clip is far better than my HD-1 which died 2 weeks ago (circuit board blown with unknown reason) under the same condition. I know they are using different codec but I don't know there would be such a big difference. I can't even see whether there is a person in the camera when I shot video with HD-1 at night, I am not joking. The most common place for my video would be in living room (of course it is not as large as we see in the Library and it doesn't have that many lights), I think I would buy a cheap Halogen light which stand up straight point to the ceiling of the living room. I believe I would get a pretty good video even in full auto mode, don't you think so?
syk2c11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:40 PM   #174

I've been shooting a good amount with the HD700 and have some additional observations. In an effort to leave the camera in a "ready to shoot" mode, I have set the camera up a little differently and thought I would share my settings.

Initially I thought it would be best to set the Focus mode to "Standard", however I have found that if you are going to zoom in on close objects, it's best to set it to "Total Range." I'm guessing the camera treats this as a macro situation and unless you have "Total Range" selected, it will not focus on close, zoomed in subjects. So unless you know you aren't going to zoom, I would suggest leaving it in this mode. If you know your focal range isn't going to change, or purposely do not want foreground objects to come into focus (panning) then use manual focus.

The focus mode works best (in my experience) set to "Spot Focus".

I set exposure to "Center" to make sure that my subject is properly exposed. I am less worried about blown highlights or dark background then I am with having the subject properly exposed. This is different than my approach for photography, so it took a little getting used to.

I manually set ISO with a shortcut.

White balance is set to AWB. I think the camera does a pretty good job at this, so why have another setting to worry about.

I leave movie stabilizer set to ON.

With these settings set, I am ready to shoot at a moments notice. The only time I deviate from these is if I know I will not change my distance from a stationary subject or zoom in on the subject.

Hope this helps.

Oh and I've set the still photos at 5.3 MP 16:9 ratio and love the results. I've often heard how P&S cameras produce better image quality when the max resolution was dialed down. It's true, at least with the HD700. Plus, the photos are ready for the HD slideshow on that widescreen TV.
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:27 PM   #175

Can anyone please post the same scene clip with EIS on and EIS off ?
It would be interesting to see how does it work on zooming and panning.
denden2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 1:15 AM   #176

syk2c11 wrote:
Quote:
[...]I think I would buy a cheap Halogen light which stand up straight point to the ceiling of the living room. I believe I would get a pretty good video even in full auto mode, don't you think so?
If you are talking about those 300 watt halogen upright lights that use the ceiling as a diffuser, then yes,Iwould think so.A case where you would not get good video is with intimate indoor lighting, say one 60 watt incandescent (or equivalent13 watt CFL) lamp in the corner lighting a room.

Ok, it'slate and very dark now, here is a "full auto"test todemonstrate the limitationswith low indoor lightne fluorescent "night" light in the kitchen above the sink, from a distance and close up: http://mihd.net/ctobel It's not much light, but I can see clearly with my eyes places where the camera sees black. To sum it up: if there is little light, youmight notbe able to record it; if there is some light, you might get grain and the auto-focus might hunt (lock/unlock it using a shortcut,or set to manual, as needed), and with a decent amount of light, everything is fine. For stills, you can use the flash or getvery nice results with tripoded long exposures.

I hope this helps. I think it's ok, but of course you won't get the brilliant results indoor at nightthat you can get outdoors during the day with the HD700. If you want to primarily shoot in your living room perhaps youshouldconsider a larger camera with bigger lens and sensor.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:25 PM   #177

:-)regarding availability, this cam. (hd 700)is in the JESSOPS catalogue at £399.

it can be bought in the usa a lot cheaper, and i enquired with SANYO on compatability, and apparently it is menu switchable between formats, (PAL and the other one!)and charging upin the UKor USA is no problem.

if anyone has bought in the USA please post the store and price please. roger.

271144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 1:38 PM   #178

Careful, I might be wrong, but I think your statement is not accurate...

I think the choice of language is "menu switchable," but as far as I know, neither the HD700 nor the HD1000 does PAL. The formats are locked down for all, so you're choice is 30p, or in the case of the HD1000, 30p or 60i. These cams don't do 25p or 50i as far as I know, which may be a real problem for anyone in PAL land.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:26 PM   #179

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!--------the actual wording from sanyo is " the camcorder is switchable between NTSC and PAL from the option screen"

a new mains lead is needed when it is used in the UK,which i suspect is the same as the american two pin but with a 3 pin instead.
271144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:40 PM   #180

271144 wrote:
Quote:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!--------the actual wording from sanyo is " the camcorder is switchable between NTSC and PAL from the option screen"

a new mains lead is needed when it is used in the UK,which i suspect is the same as the american two pin but with a 3 pin instead.
Yeah, but look in the manual, all that's mentioned about PAL is regarding output to a TV. Look at the recording settings and it's all 30p or 60i. That implies that it converts on the fly when outputing to a TV, which I'm guessing might make the footage look like crap. I have no experience with this, so you should figure this out for yourself, but I can't imagine 30p recorded footage played back on a 50i TV is going to look as good as it could. They should have just included a 25p mode, cause then not only could PAL users benefit from it, but some of us might actually choose to shoot 25p for the movie look of it (and yes, I know film is 24p, but my point is they could kill two birds with one stone).
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote