Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:29 PM   #191

gepuk2001 wrote:
Quote:
[...]Question 1. I have a 32" and a 50" Samsung TV, i presume by the posts i can view them just by connecting my HDMI cable.

Also, to tape from the camera to the DVD is just the same????

Question 2. [...]Can someone give me full instructions.[...]
I would recommend youtry reading the manuals that came with your camera, it should answer all of your basic questions and more... yes, RTFM! :G

1) Yes, you can output to any TV, DVD recorder or tape recorder using one of four options: HDMI, component video, S-video or composite video out.

2) It's very simple: just use any video editing software that supports MP4 files. Did you try the software that comes with the camera: AdobePremiere Elements 3.0 ? (check the software manual). It should be able to create DVDs from your MP4 files. I personally use Sony Vegas, it works great.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:36 PM   #192

Grandmelody wrote:
Quote:
[...]Is a Class 4 or slower card fine for this camera?[...]
There is already a thread in this forum about this question: HD700: which SD card? No issues whatsoever with any cards so far.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:30 AM   #193

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
You just made even more ofa point of having too high expectations...specifically based on price. A number of years ago you could have spent $10,000 ona video camera that was very large, required a giant spot light to take any footage indoors, and took video at a fraction the resolution and quality of today's cameraslike the HD700 and HD1000. Would you have expectedmore for your $10,000 back then? Maybe, maybe not, depends on how realistic you were about camera's capabilities back then.

Taynt3d's point is thatyou might buy the Xactis, that are unsurpassed in their size/performance category, yet have unrealistic expectations regarding not only size/performance but movie cameras,optics and sensorsin general simply because it's HD and you consider it expensive. To expect these to come close to the quality achieved with ($$$$) broadcast quality / movie cameras, that also record all of their material under ideal lighting conditions,is unrealistic.

Edit: having said all that I also think a lot of it has to do with handling, and I don't meanknowing how to exploit manual settings. Pros anchor their cameras on dollies, cranes, Steadycam harnesses, or at least a steady shoulder. With these tiny cameras I think it's all too easy to move them about too much and end up with a bad picture simply because of that (really not the cam's fault). I'm not targeting you specifically, but I've seen others shoot with my cams while waving them aboutcarelessly and the footage ishardly watchable (full of motion blur / or unsmooth in "Sports" mode). Learning tohandle these steadily and smoothly goes a very long way (and a tripod is always an option to get good footage).
Ummm...I don;'t know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember having owned a whole slew of cameras, Super 8, VHS, Mini DV, and now SD-based. I don't remember spending $ 10,000 on any of those, and being quite satisfied with what they produced given the display mediums of the time. So what exactly is your point? You've lost me totally on this one...not that it matters. Kind of a dead horse as far as I'm concerned.

No offense taken with your comments about handling; I've seen that often enough myself. If anyone needs a shining example of the lack of photographic IQ out there, just watch a night football game and see all the flashes go off during the kickoff. There seem to be an amazing number of incorrigible optimists who think the flashes on their digital compacts can reach several hundred feet.

Please be as kind as to show me, verbatim, where I said that I expect either the HD 700 or HD 1000 to produce broadcast quality movies simply because they are HD, or that I expect them to compete with broadcast quality camera equipment. I have simply stated that they are NOT broadcast quality, which has not stopped me from enjoying my HD 1000. I decided, based on MY subjective satisfaction with the image quality for the price I paid, that it was a good purchase. Conversely, I thought the $599 was way high for the image quality of the HD 700, and I returned the cheaper camera and kept the more expensive one. So again, what's your point?

I don't understand why my simple comments about validating an individual's subjective experience ( whether positive nor negative ) based on their comfort level with the quality obtained for the price paid is such a big deal. I mean, do you think corporate America doesn't know this already and make pricing decisions based on it? You don't think Sanyo does it?

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:53 AM   #194

IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
...I have simply stated that they are NOT broadcast quality...
To be fair to Caelum and Taynt3d... when i read this line from your original post, my immediate reaction was that you had unrealistic expectations.

I understand that's not the case, but from a reader's perspective it's like saying "my Honda Civic does not perform like a Mclaren F1". Since that statement is stating the obvious... so the only other possible reason why anyone would make such a comparison is because they were somehow expecting those to things to perform similarly in some way.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:30 AM   #195

Thanks Caelum for the SD card answer and link.

I have now tried my HD700, using a 1GB SD card that came with the camera and watching the results on a very good LCD 1080p TV.With normal household lighting, the video images I got are OK, but not great being grainy and not vibrant. I have to say that is expected, and is consistent with what others have mentioned already about the camera's low-light capabilities. I can hear the zoom working, but there is no clunking sound andit is not loud, and so my HD700 is obviouslynot the one Cymraes returned.Seriously, the zooming is heard in quiet places.

In a shopping mall, however, with much better lighting, it was quite good, and I am quite happy with the results. The artificial lighting was handled well. I noticed however that there was frequent jittering or jumping as I pan. I think this is probably due to the image stabiliser trying to stablise the image but could only do it for very short periods, causing the jumping, as Caelum explained. I don't know whether this jumping is better or worse than what others found. It seems some notice it more than others and turned the stablisation off. I have not tried turning off yet. Too lazy to read the manual at this time.

Outdoors, the images are simply excellent, except for some washed out highlight areas probably due to a bit of over-exposing. This can be easily adjusted I know. I normally prefer preserving highlights than shadow details when I have to choose. Colours are natural and vibrant. No problems.

The physical construction could be better, as already pointed out by all reviewers. There is a bit of play in the screen even when closed. The flimsy SD card door is particulary worrying in the long term if cardshave to betaken out or changed often. This is why I intend to get the biggest card I can afford and leave it in there.

So, considering the design compromises in such a tiny camera with such big features, I have no regrets in choosing this camera, knowing that it has limitations but it must be the best affordable tiny hybrid camera around. Most people I showed it to remarked about the amazing features in such a small camera. I have yet to try all the features and do more shooting tests. For the price, it is very good and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a camera to have around all the time, for stills and video, to travel with, or to be ready for any unexpected shooting opportunity. Make sure that you find a good reliable source to buy from however, given a number of issues mentioned in this and other reviews. IMO, there appears to be a little more quality issues with this camera than your average digital cameras. So, being able to return it in case you do have any problem would be great. (What happened to those returned cameras?, I wonder.)
Grandmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:40 AM   #196

IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
Ummm...I don;'t know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember having owned a whole slew of cameras, Super 8, VHS, Mini DV, and now SD-based. I don't remember spending $ 10,000 on any of those, and being quite satisfied with what they produced given the display mediums of the time. So what exactly is your point?[...]
I was referring to the first Betamax (not Super- or Betacam) video cameras of the late 70s (not old enough to be my own purchase, mind you)... low resolution (~250 lines?), washed out video and no video in low light. I imagine you did not buy cameras when the very first ones of a specific technology came out in the past (modernexample: In 1998 42" Plasma TVs were $15000, same year I bought a $700 1MP stills only digicam). Point being that price/size/performance are all relative to the existing technology out there... which ismy entire point, I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, or still is not to you.

Maybe I'mjustgetting frustrated :Gbecause I'm getting very good results overall;Clearly the "HD"monikercreateshigh expectations... and maybe the price?Yet compare past consumer TVs vs consumer video cameras price pointsvis-*-vis today's HDTVs and the HD Xactis...

IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
[...]both cameras have less than broadcast definition HD, to put it mildly[...]
I find it a touch absurd when someone says that a $ 600 or $ 800 camera somehow should be absolved of having to have great image quality.
[...]At that price point, image quality had better be there;[...]
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:42 PM   #197

Caelum - Cool, Thanks for the clarification. I felt as though we were talking past one another...happens with e-communication.

I don't doubt at all that you are getting good results. I am too! It's just what the Germans call " Ansichtssache" - no two people are likely to see everything exactly the same way. Things you might not even notice drive me nuts and vice versa. But I'm glad we're both getting results that make us happy with our purchases, as seems to be the case.

Although - sigh - time to buy a new laptop now. It's great being able to watch the video files from my HDD to the TV, but I'd like to have some way of showing them when I'm nowhere near a TV. Do you - or does anyone else here - have a strong feeling regarding, say, the Apple MacBook / MacBook PRO versus equivalent Windows models? I'm trying not to blow the proverbial bank but I also don't want to cheap out. I'm sort of lucky because I don't yet have ANY high - end video software, which means I can go either way because I'm not locked into software compatibility. So if iMovie is as good as I've heard some people say it is, and it comes standard....it would appear to be a no-brainer.

If not, and I am encouraged to look at Microsoft OS, I'm hearing different things about Vista, most of them not very flattering. Is there a significant difference between Vista and XP in terms of the ability to edit the Xacti files?

The Sanyo manual does list the specs needed, I don't need those rehashed - just feedback from you and others who may have used a laptop to show and edit their files. Thanks as always for any advice!

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:10 PM   #198

IcelandFan, I don't have any strong feelings about platform, the lines are being blurred between them everyday, especially since they are all using the same CPUs and graphics cards now. I've been able to playback AVC videosmoothly on most dual core CPU computers (1080i: only with CoreAVC codec on PCs so far). But for editing HD, even the fastest CPUsmight not give you real-time feedback;and when rendering HD, sinceyou generally want to go for the "best" render setting, expect torender edited footagewhile you sleep. So, of course, themore powerfulthe CPU, the better.

Unfortunately specialized computer hardware AVC/H.264 encoding/decoding is still in it's infancy (mostly implemented in high end graphics cards at the moment) as is software support for them. Until it matures you might have to live with not superfast HD editing.

Back in March there was a rumour that Apple would "soon" add AVC / H.264 hardware encoding / decoding to all iMacs: Robert X. Cringely: Cupertino plans to add H.264 hardware support to its entire line. I don't think it has happened yet, but if true, it might be a reason to wait for the "next" iMac (in case) if you are interested in one.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:51 PM   #199

Hello Callum and all, [shadow=orange]Did not Get any video editor with the Sanyo Xacti HD700[/shadow].

Got Photo Editing suite. Serif. Photoplus 6. And a Screen capture program and some other thing.

:?Question:By reading a post here, i Import my video into Mp4Cam2AVI?? Correct Y/N???

:?[shadow=darkred]They then become AVI Files Y/N?????????[/shadow]

:idea:Then from the list below, what do i need to use in order.

I want to use them on my computer.

Also, to create DVD's to watch, and to give away.

:?[shadow=blue]I presume i have to turn them into AVI files, then ??? What programs are best to use once i have imported them into MP4Cam2AVI[/shadow]???????????

:?I can view them in Windows Media Player 11. That presumably means i can copy them to DVD????? As well as save on computer, and email them, is this correct Y/N?????

(1) VCD Easy v 3.1.0 VideoCD Authoring Suite software. http://www.vcdeasy.org
(2) Memories onTV I use earlier version http://www.codejam.com/index.htm only does photos.
(3) Photoplus 6. http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/
(4) AVI to DVD converter. http://www.billionsoft.com/
(5) Faststone Photoresizer, image viewer, maxview. http://www.faststone.org/
(6) FFdshow http://cutka.szm.sk/ffdshow
(7) Photostory 3 for windows
(8) Photosuite ver 4 (still use it for photos)
(9) Irvanview 4.10
(10) Avidemux x 2.4 http://www.avidemux.org
(11) Photovista Panarama 2.02 http://www.downloadpipe.com/Photovis...hot-80063.html
(12) Picaso 2
(13) Mp4Cam2AVI Told by others to download this for turning MP4 to AVI files, can anyone explain how to get this from AVI to work on TV/Dvd???
(14) Quicktime player.
(15) Media Player.

(16)Nero 6

I am using Windows XP Sp2. 1GB ram 2 x 400GB hard drives.
Can someone give me full instructions.

Please bear with me, i am an complete idiot when it comes to photography.:?

Well, just a complete idiot anyway.

Thanks for any answers, GEP :-)

gepuk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:58 PM   #200

Cealum,

I'm contemplating to buy the HD700. I have 1 question:

Given the high bit-rate at which the camera captures video in HQ, can you let me know which SD card to buy; its confusing with Class4, Class6, and Sandisk with Extreme II and Extreme III.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
QDreesmann is offline   Reply With Quote