Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:08 PM   #201

C'mon, if you just read this forum for like five minutes you'd find all sorts of threads and conversations on this very same topic (memory cards). Please do some research, use the search capabaility, and take some initiative on your own before asking the same question that's been asked numerous times before.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 4:56 PM   #202

QDreesmann,

I also asked the same question :-), and Caelum has replied already. His answer is about 10 postson top of yours. Caelum also kindly provided a link to another thread about SD cards for the HD700. Briefly, it does not make any difference to the camera, what you use, Class 2, 4, or 6, as they can all handled the speed that the camera writes at. Copying to and from the PC, when you backup or edit etc, will be when there will be a difference.

Hope this helps.
Grandmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 5:59 PM   #203

Grandmelody wrote:
Quote:
berniep, If you ordered from the same Ebay seller, it would be most interesting to me if your camera comes with a broken seal. Please let me know when it arrives, and, sorry if I started you worrying. :roll::?
I finally bought mine in europe from Amazon.de.
459 Euro and with a 3-year warranty (package included HDMI-cable and 2 CD's).
It just arrived and I'm REALLY happy with it yet! :-)
berniep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 8:19 PM   #204

ray301 wrote:
Quote:
IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
...I have simply stated that they are NOT broadcast quality...
To be fair to Caelum and Taynt3d... when i read this line from your original post, my immediate reaction was that you had unrealistic expectations.

I understand that's not the case, but from a reader's perspective it's like saying "my Honda Civic does not perform like a Mclaren F1". Since that statement is stating the obvious... so the only other possible reason why anyone would make such a comparison is because they were somehow expecting those to things to perform similarly in some way.
ray 301 - Sorry I missed your post - and thanks for taking the time to weigh in. I think subsequent posts have made it pretty clear that the horse is dead, buried and has gone to horse heaven by now.

But I'm an argumentative fellow:-)

There is one very plausible other option why someone would make a statement such as I did, which is in fact why I made it: Sanyo markets these two cams pretty aggressively as "true HD" cameras, and really hypes up the image quality if you haven't yet looked at their website. So I thought I'd simply point out that if you think you're going to get the same quality from either one that you see when you turn on the Discover channel in HD on your fancy HDTV, that isn't gonna happen.

That's a fact, and I'm personally fine with it. Part of what I see this forum doing - and what others on this forum have done for me, especially Caelum - is to bring a little clarity into what is still a pretty new and mightily confusing realm. So there weren't any nefarious undertones or unrealistic expectations. I was just trying to add my two cents.

By the way, I'm so annoyed!! I took my HD 1000 kayaking the other day and it stopped working after I rolled twice, even after I disassembled it and dried the parts in the microwave. :lol:

( That last part was a joke, guys!)
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:02 PM   #205

Thanks to all who contributed to this post. I was originally considering Kodak V1235 and Kodak Z1275 but after viewing their sample videos, I wasn't too impressed (especially when the camera was panning). I then came across the HD700 and based upon the sample videos provided by the members here (I downloaded them all), I was very impressed. I even played the sample videos on my 46" LCD TV and the videos look absolutely great (my wife too was impressed). I was also able to edit them in PowerDirector 6 without any problems.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions which haven't been addressed:

1) How long does the standard battery last (recording video)?

2) How much video can you record (duration wise) on a 8GB SD card in 720P?

Thanks again for all your contributions. It was very, very helpful! I look forward buying the HD700 (especially since I have a baby coming into the world in May 08).

-- Manny
funtasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:51 PM   #206

funtasticguy wrote:
Quote:
[...]
1) How long does the standard battery last (recording video)?

2) How much video can you record (duration wise) on a 8GB SD card in 720P?
[...]
1) I still haven'tdone myown tests, but the specsclaim 80 minutes continuous recording time (including zoom, etc. use) and190 minutes continuous playback time. I don't have any reason to doubt those numbers.I mentioned it lastsabout aday of shooting / normal usageif recording less than 30 minutes in total clips. It's beenover aweek on one charge taking clips and stillshere and there, most of the time leaving it in standby mode. If you want to shoot more or cover full daysyou'll needspare batteries (there is also DC-in on the camera, whichcould be used while on a tripod to cover a longcontinuousevent).

2) According to the manual youcan record 1h53m on an 8GB in HD-SHQ 720p mode(HD-HQ 720p would be 2h46m andstandard definition TV-SHQ would be 5h14m).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:59 PM   #207

Manny - Congratulations, happy for you! The HD 700 should be perfect for capturing family memories, as long as there's enough lighting.

I never did any runtime tests with the HD 700, I'm sure someone else can give you real-world figures.

Regarding the card specs, Sanyo has a pretty good website that covers each of their camera models. The HD 700 is here: http://sanyodigital.com/product.aspx?v=18

It says " The SANYO Xacti HD700 records high-definition and photos directly to a standard SD or SDHC Memory Card. In fact, the HD700 is capable of recording up to 2 hour and 46 minutes of 720p high-definition video on a single 8GB card (sold separately). "

Hope you have lots of fun !
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:28 PM   #208

Thanks Caelum and IcelandFan for your replies. Nearly 2 hours in its highest setting sounds great and 80 minutes of recording time sounds good too.

It's amazing how much progress has taken place in just 2 years. I currently have a Casio Z750 and I got for its size and video recording abilities (640x480). The HD700 blows the Casio out of the water with its recording abilities.

Thanks again for everything!
funtasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:12 PM   #209

For those looking for a case, there is one made by Case Logic that I found to fit this camera very well. This zipped case is wider at the bottom than the top, so that it fits exactly and your hand can grip the camera the right way when reach for it, i.e. without turning the camera the right side up if it is put in with the lens on top). The front is slight narrower than the back, with the result that the camera being held in the back and should not fall out when you unzip even using one hand.
Grandmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:33 PM   #210

Thanks for sharing Grandmelody, if I were to keep my HD700 could you tell me which model number of the case logic camera case it is - I have just been looking them up and they all have letters after them e.g. DC-53, DCB2, QPB3 etc. The QPB3 however looks a more triangular shape in a material (not leather) so perhaps this is the one you are thinking?
Thanks
CYMRAES is offline   Reply With Quote