Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:43 PM   #231

muteki65 wrote:
Quote:
Always about same argument, to decide between hd700 and hd 1000:

I have not a HD television so do you think that to buy a hd 1000 insteda of 700 is too much for my use ?
I'm no expert (don't even have mine yet) and I don't have nor intend to get a HD TV for a while (too confusing and changing fast; 720p, 1080i, 1080p coming...) nor an HD player nor recorder.

Depends on what your needs and wants are, too. I have other video cameras but they're bigger and never leave the house unless there's a specific purpose in mind. I wanted the HD1000 for the longer and faster lens, easy add-on wide and tele lenses, mike jack, etc. But, I knew that I'd get it and, after a week of initial excitement and play, I'd leave it at home with the others. On the other hand the HD700 will probably live in my pants pocket, ready when the mood strikes or something cool happens. Wherever I go I'll have it to shoot still, video or both.

If I didn't have the other cameras and the choice was between the HD700 and HD1000 I'd probably have gotten the HD1000 (or a Canon HV20).

If it weren't more expensive and only available greymarket in the U.S. right now, $900 (incl. ship) on ebay, the Panasonic HDC-SD1 would be ideal choice for my own needs with the 10x lens, full 1080P (1920x1080) AVCHD/H.264, 3-CCD, Optical Image Stabilizer (4,000 times a sec. sampling)...darn it, drooling on my keyboard again. :lol:
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:57 PM   #232

Just wanted to thank you guys for posting the $399 Amazon deal. I purchased the camera when it was $569 28 days ago and was able to get (the unpublicized) 30 day price guarantee by calling customer service. They refunded $170 to my credit card today. Nice.
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:43 PM   #233

muteki65 wrote:
Quote:

I have not a HD television so do you think that to buy a hd 1000 insteda of 700 is too much for my use ?

Thanks,

Roberto
In fact, if I were you, I'd stick with the CG65. If you're not planning on upgrading your PC or moving to HDTV anytime soon, and are going to be viewing SD output, the CG65 is - in my opinion anyway, and I've had both - better in low light and takes less grainy images than the HD 700, and is considerably smaller. It also can continue recording when the LCD is closed, which the 700 and 1000 cannot.

The HD 1000 would be a complete waste of money given your current situation.

Keep in mind that by the time you are ready move to HD, it's very likely that Sanyo will have come out with a couple of "new and improved" models to replace the HD700 and HD 1000. So it makes sense to wait on the more technically challenging stuff if you're not going to move to HD anytime soon. I'm willing to bet the HD 800 or HD 2000 ( fictional names ) are already well along the development stage.

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:13 AM   #234

IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
muteki65 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Roberto
In fact, if I were you, I'd stick with the CG65. If you're not planning on upgrading your PC or moving to HDTV anytime soon, and are going to be viewing SD output, the CG65 is - in my opinion anyway, and I've had both - better in low light and takes less grainy images than the HD 700, and is considerably smaller. It also can continue recording when the LCD is closed, which the 700 and 1000 cannot.

The HD 1000 would be a complete waste of money given your current situation.

Keep in mind that by the time you are ready move to HD, it's very likely that Sanyo will have come out with a couple of "new and improved" models to replace the HD700 and HD 1000. So it makes sense to wait on the more technically challenging stuff if you're not going to move to HD anytime soon. I'm willing to bet the HD 800 or HD 2000 ( fictional names ) are already well along the development stage.

Thank you very much,

finally I decided to avoid buying hd 1000 but now you gave me an other problem...to decide between Cg65 and Hd 700 :-)

Can I edit video made with Cg65 and is it good quality ?

I have now a jvc Gr-Dvl 200 800K pixel ccd, is the cg65 better of this one or better the Hd700 ?

I promise this is the last question.

Roberto

muteki65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:39 AM   #235

Is the TwinMOS SDHC Card - Class 6 ( http://www.twinmos.com/flash/flash_p_sdhc_class6.htm ) a good choice for the HD700? It's by far the cheapest SDHC card available over here...

Greetings,
Evert
evert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:10 AM   #236

evert wrote:
Quote:
Is the TwinMOS SDHC Card - Class 6 ( http://www.twinmos.com/flash/flash_p_sdhc_class6.htm ) a good choice for the HD700? It's by far the cheapest SDHC card available over here...
I would think that a Class 6 SDHC card would be more than good enough since the HD700 doesn't specify a class rating and can use SD as well as SDHC cards.
SDHC class explanation:

Class 2 : min. 2-MegaBytes/sec
Class 4 : min. 4-MegaBytes/sec
Class 6 : min. 6-MegaBytes/sec
Less confusing than the 8X, 40X, 80X, and 150X stuff.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:30 PM   #237

Whether or not the HD700 needs anything more than a Class 2 card...I don't know. I will say I have a Class 6 8GB card and the transfer speeds to the computer are phenomenal. For that reason alone I would recommend Class 6.
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:27 PM   #238

FYI --

Amazon refunded $170 to me for my original HD700 purchase!!!

They have a policy that basically price-matches their own prices within 30 days of purchase under most conditions. So, you had to buy it within 30 days, you had to buy it from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller on their site), the price that was matched had to be their own (again not a 3rd party seller on Amazon). There was some vague language in their policy that made it sound like it might not apply to special sales like 2 for 1 offers, but regardless, I just got the official response that they were crediting back my cc for $170.

Now that's customer service, and by the way just one more reason not to waste time trying to save yourself an extra $40 on some grey market seller on ebay. THANK YOU AMAZON!
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:17 PM   #239

Ominx wrote:
Quote:
Whether or not the HD700 needs anything more than a Class 2 card...I don't know. I will say I have a Class 6 8GB card and the transfer speeds to the computer are phenomenal. For that reason alone I would recommend Class 6.
The great thing about the Sanyo Cameras is that even the HD model datarates are well within the specs of the cheapest SD cards, so no advantage to getting highspeed cards for recording performance. Where the speed matters though, is in the transferring of the contents to your PC.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:23 PM   #240

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
FYI --

Amazon refunded $170 to me for my original HD700 purchase!!!

They have a policy that basically price-matches their own prices within 30 days of purchase under most conditions. So, you had to buy it within 30 days, you had to buy it from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller on their site), the price that was matched had to be their own (again not a 3rd party seller on Amazon). There was some vague language in their policy that made it sound like it might not apply to special sales like 2 for 1 offers, but regardless, I just got the official response that they were crediting back my cc for $170.

Now that's customer service, and by the way just one more reason not to waste time trying to save yourself an extra $40 on some grey market seller on ebay. THANK YOU AMAZON!
Yes I have always liked amazon.com customer service. Never had a problem with returns or exchanges, so far at least. They are not always the cheapest, but sometimes it's worth paying a little extra just for the lack of hassle. Anyway most of the time, I find that when places are cheaper to any great degree, it's usually because they are shady outfits.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote