Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:36 PM   #241

I called Sanyo to ask a few questions; U.S. warranty (90 days labor, 1 year parts), wide angle lens for HD700 (no) and mentioned the HD1000/HD700 thoughts I had. The nice lady, Diane, looked up my area and told me where I could go see a HD1000 in person. Cool!

While I already ordered the HD700, there are things about the HD1000 that I wish I had and I really wanted to see one up close and personal so I zipped over there.

Wow, the HD1000 is bigger than I even though. I'd need big pockets or very baggy pants to carry it. They had a E-1 and I played a bit with both a bit. While I like the HD1000, the size kills my interest in it as a pocket cam to always have with me -- I already have bigger cameras.

They had a Sanyo E1 which is close to the size of HD700 (E1 is a hair bigger according to the specs) and it gave me something to compare to the HD1000. Naturally, I had my cell phone camera:lol: :

visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:29 AM   #242

I purchased the HD700 on BlackFriday after seeing it on sale on Amazon for $399. I wasn't even in the market but it sounded so cool. The reviews were bad but I came here and was sold after seein Caelum's review & Sample videos.

It's a pretty cool little guy for $399. Indoors shooting is better than I expected after reading all of your guy's nasty posts. Granted it's not that great, but it is usable if you flip on a few lights.

Here's a link to the SDHC card I purchased from Newegg. $57 for 8gb.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820208293

One note. I also hear the zoom when it is a very low environment. Seems like some people think this is a defect but I think all will display the problem if the microphone is gaining up to amplify any noise.
xjeffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:19 PM   #243

You got yours already? I'm jealous. Mine won't ship until tomorrow. Found a Kingston 8GB Class 4 for $55 shipped free before a $15 rebate (expires 11/30), $40 after.

http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/ki...-sd-card2.html

Looking at the Sanyo tips page makes it look like the camera will do a lot, if you learn to use it. Looking forward to getting mine, learning it, and having it in my pants pocket ready to go. Figure having one wil me at all times will increase/improve my shooting, editing, etc. Can't wait.

Some of the happy owners need to add some positive reviews to Amazon, I think the camera is getting an undeserved bum rap.

Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:25 PM   #244

Hello to all,

I would like to thank you publically Caelum for his precious advises thanks to them I decided to buy a Hd700 !!

I bought it from Hong Kong (Digitalend) and I cross the fingers to receive it without problems...

I will let you know.

Roberto
muteki65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:29 PM   #245

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
You got yours already? I'm jealous. Mine won't ship until tomorrow.

Some of the happy owners need to add some positive reviews to Amazon, I think the camera is getting an undeserved bum rap.

I paid for the 2 day shipping and newegg, where I got my card, is located about 30 minutes from me so I received the card in 1 day.

I added a positive review to Amazon. Hopefully you can tell I know what I'm talking about compared to those bad reviews.

I'm sad the price went up. I was going to try and talk some of my friends into them. Having two or three of these things and a dedicated audio solution (I already have) is actually a decent small video production kit!
xjeffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:59 PM   #246

Ah, that's the secret. I need to be less cheap (opted for free shipping) and move closer to Newegg. :-)

A major problem with a lot of reviews is that people buy things with unreasonable expectations, don't even look at the manuals, try them out at their own intuitive level and then post bad reviews. The people that like things are busy enjoying them and aren't as vocal so they don't post. So, all you see are bad reviews and think that some really cool things are junk.

Saw your post on Amazon, how are you bringing in the footage on your MacBook? iMovie '08 or something else? Does the camera mount on your desktop like a drive? Which OS, Tiger or Leopard? Which version of QT?

The reason for the questions I just read on the iMovie support forum that the camera isn't mounting for someone with Leopard.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....4&tstart=0

Also, read that the HD1000 at 1080i doesn't work well on the Mac either. Sanyo says it's a codec problem that started with QT 7.2 and continues with 7.3, supposed to have worked fine with QT 7.1.6 and some people are putting the 7.1.6 codec(s) (H.264, I think) in QT 7.3 to replace the newer one(s).

Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:40 PM   #247

Just received mine from Amazon, but I'm already having problems with either the HD700 or the SanDisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC card that I got from Costco. I formatted the card initially using the HD700, and it seemed to work at first, but after a few minutes it kept asking me to format the card. Nothing happened when I tried to reformat (and it won't let do a Full Format), but when I took out the card and reinserted it the card worked without reformating. This has happened twice in only a few minutes of playing with the camera.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I finally was able to do a full format, and everything seems fine now.I think I had messed up the original formatting somehow.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:15 AM   #248

I've ordered mine as well now, at Scandinavian Photo. It should arrive shortly...

I can hardly wait!

evert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:36 AM   #249

Well, I've done a few minutes worth of indoor test shots, and color me not impressed so far. Under full recessed lighting in my living room (quite bright) my white walls are full of artifacts that make them look them like camouflage when displayed on my 50" 768p Pioneer Plasma, and I see a lot of jaggies. Coming from a C6 I was expecting at least the same quality indoors. Perhaps my settings are not correct.....what have you all found to be the best indoor settings? I will try some outdoor shots today.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:12 PM   #250

new here, hello.

i also could not resist the amazon sale on the hd700 @ $399 and i received mine yesterday. i spent a short time sampling the camera and will continue to do so later today.

i'm not thrilled with the output, but i love the style/ergonmics and large screen.
i was hoping the low-light capabilities would be a better but i will experiment with manual controls and not prematurely judge the camera. for $399, despite that being a temp price which is now over, i need to tune my expectations of a small pocket-sized hybrid digital camera. although i have the hd1000 sitting in my amazon cart and will prob buy that so i can compare and decide on whether spending another $300 for hd1000 is worth it.

will post samples soon.
michaeleven is offline   Reply With Quote