Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:22 PM   #251

I just took a few test shots with my HD700 and I can see what they mean about barrel distortion. You can see 3 of my test shots here:

http://www.pbase.com/rgv523/hd700

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:01 PM   #252

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
[...]barrel distortion.[...]
Oh, nice curves... especially that first one!Although this is not at all unusual forcameras at / with wide angle(all compactshave someat the wide end) I agree the HD700 is not that wide at wide end relatively speaking. But atouch ofzoom in, to get out of wide angle,does eliminitate it; and there is always software lens correction (i.e. photoshop),it can be completly eliminated it in post these days.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:14 PM   #253

I just received my HD700 and here are my main issues and thoughts:

Issues:
1. I am having problems with playback of video on my pc. Sound is normal, but video is very slow. I have an Athlon 2700+ processer(approx. 2.2 Ghz) with ATI 9800SE 128mb video, Vista Ultimate, and 768mb ram. I've tried Windows Media, Apple Quicktime, and Divx. I was told to download VLC and try it out.
2. The still picture quality is not that good indoors. It is very grainy compared to my Canon A620 camera. I did not buy as much for still quality, but thought it would be comparable to my Canon. I will try some outdoor shots to see if they come out better.
3. Indoor video also seemed grainy. Maybe it's the playback issues on my computer. I will try hooking up to tv.
4. The camera also seems to have difficulty focusing.
5. Is their a way to record video with the screen closed?
6. I really like the size and feel of the camera.
7. It would be nice if you could zoom while taking a still photo. When taking still photos it is annoying that the photo is not as close as what shows on the screen, so that you must zoom in further to take a picture of what was orginally on the screen.
8. It would also be nice if their was a usb connector on the camera so you don't need to use the docking station or remove the SD card.

Overall, I like the HD700. I guess you can't have everything in a small footprint.

I give it a 4 out of 5 for what I expected.
pneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:48 PM   #254

pneumann wrote:
Quote:
[...]Issues:[...]
Hi, 1 ) if you have a single core Althon 2700+ (not an X2 model), then you may simply not have enough CPU power to playback HD AVC content on your PC. Your best bet is to try the CoreAVC codec, it comes in a number of "codec packs" and is included with "Quicktime Alternative" which includes Media Player Classic. CoreAVC appears to bethe fastest AVC softwaredecoder at this time, but your PC still might not cut it. Directly outputing to the TV from the camera you should get good results.

2, 3) You will get grain in low light with the little high MP CCD sensor. Try adding more light, certainly you will get the best results during daytime.

5) Only with the LCD facing out (flip it). (We're hoping a firmware update can allow it closed facing in - pure speculation.)

7)Simply half-press the photo buttonto get a proper view. But yeah, I'm still not used to the 16:9 / 4:3 view differences. Or shoot widescreen stills.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:04 PM   #255

Is it possible to install firmware updates on a device like this? How would that work?

(I know none is available currently, just wondering if this device has the capabilities of firmware upgrades)
evert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:32 PM   #256

evert wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible to install firmware updates on a device like this? How would that work?
My guess is that it would be provided the camera is setup for it. I've upgraded my dedicated cameras by downloading the updater to the memory card, sticking the card in the camera and then selecting the "app" when it's in the camera.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:54 PM   #257

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
Ah, that's the secret. I need to be less cheap (opted for free shipping) and move closer to Newegg. :-)

A major problem with a lot of reviews is that people buy things with unreasonable expectations, don't even look at the manuals, try them out at their own intuitive level and then post bad reviews. The people that like things are busy enjoying them and aren't as vocal so they don't post. So, all you see are bad reviews and think that some really cool things are junk.

Saw your post on Amazon, how are you bringing in the footage on your MacBook? iMovie '08 or something else? Does the camera mount on your desktop like a drive? Which OS, Tiger or Leopard? Which version of QT?

The reason for the questions I just read on the iMovie support forum that the camera isn't mounting for someone with Leopard.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....4&tstart=0

Also, read that the HD1000 at 1080i doesn't work well on the Mac either. Sanyo says it's a codec problem that started with QT 7.2 and continues with 7.3, supposed to have worked fine with QT 7.1.6 and some people are putting the 7.1.6 codec(s) (H.264, I think) in QT 7.3 to replace the newer one(s).

I saw that thread on Apple support today too. It works perfectly for me in Leopard. Plug the camera into the docking station, plug in the USB cord, and press the little button on the dock. I bet the guy isn't pushing the button to mount it.
Once you do, it loads as a removable disk like any other flash device.

iMovie loaded the video fine as well.
xjeffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:17 PM   #258

Is their a USB cable that can be purchased that will allow the HD700 to connect to a pc without the docking station?
pneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:20 PM   #259

evert wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it looks like all of the Xactis have had that possibility. It's a hidden menu option to the left of the Format menu option that is only accessible when a firmware file is present on the SD card. I suspect since they released a firmware update for the HD1000, one must be coming for the HD700, but that is pure speculation.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:15 PM   #260

Now I just added another outdoor 'barrel distortion' shot and a couple of indoor shots I took while in a Subway Restaurant :lol:

These were all taken ad-hoc with default settings as I unpacked it. I haven't played with the camera yet and these are just still images.

At the weekend I hope to be able to play with it a bit more. The weather down here has been overcast lately so not been able to see how it looks in the normal bright sunlight we get here.

To be fair, this camera was bought primarily as a video camera and playing with the video, it's beginning to grow on me. I like the normal mode menu design far better than the one on the Sanyo C40. I am still deciding at this stage if the barrel distortion will be enough to make me return it though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote