Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:27 AM   #261

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Now I just added another outdoor 'barrel distortion' shot and a couple of indoor shots I took while in a Subway Restaurant :lol:
Like Caelum said, barrel distortion is fixable. Have a look at PTLens. I don't have it but read that it's very nice, will do batches, and is cheap, $15. Search, the older free version may still be around, too.

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Personally, if I can fix things they're not problems, it's the stuff I can't fix that bothers me.

Now, I'm confused, you went to Subway and shot the chips (you can easily see the printing morie pattern on the bag) and your drink. Where's the sandwich/salad, the stuff with the details and colors?
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:55 PM   #262

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Now I just added another outdoor 'barrel distortion' shot and a couple of indoor shots I took while in a Subway Restaurant :lol:
Like Caelum said, barrel distortion is fixable. Have a look at PTLens. I don't have it but read that it's very nice, will do batches, and is cheap, $15. Search, the older free version may still be around, too.

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Personally, if I can fix things they're not problems, it's the stuff I can't fix that bothers me.

Now, I'm confused, you went to Subway and shot the chips (you can easily see the printing morie pattern on the bag) and your drink. Where's the sandwich/salad, the stuff with the details and colors?
haha you're right. Well I just happened to take my camera with me at lunchtime and just happened to take a couple of photos while messing around. It was only afterwards I decided to post them on my website. Anyway I am going to be taking more shots.

My own worry with this camera, is that it can cope with fairly loud background music because that has been a problem with my C40. It doesn't distort, it just sounds like the auto gain is going up and down sometimes which is annoying. The reason being is that I tend to use these camera at pinata's etc and they actually work very well for that (as long as during daylight of course)

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:06 PM   #263

My HD700 just arrived, naturally it's very dark outside and raining.

I love the way it feels though. While the 8GB card I ordered didn't arrive yet but I have a 1GB one that should surrfice my own playing and testing for the weekend.

One thing I plan to do is still image testing and probably turn down/off the noise correction and sharpening. They tend to over do both on smaller chip cameras. I can tweak the images as desired in post processing. Also, I like RICH colors so I'm going to give the SOFT VIVID setting a try, as well as other things.

Now who's going to teach me the secret handshake? :lol:
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:15 PM   #264

I have yet to get an SDHC card, but the 2GB regular SD card still gives me 28 minutes to play with, which isn't too bad. If I decide to keep it, then I'll be purchasing an SDHC card myself.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:33 PM   #265

I had my HD700 delivered last week (replacement) from qvc but haven't had time to play much yet or read enough of the manual to be quite honest - at least I have until 25th January to return it. A 2gb card was included and a HDMI lead which I have connected to my LCD. I keep looking here to learn from all of you as I am a complete novice in this and I must admit there are some posts here which I haven't a clue about what you are on about, but I'm sure (one day) I shall catch on! :-)
CYMRAES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:13 PM   #266

CYMRAES wrote:
Quote:
I keep looking here to learn from all of you as I am a complete novice in this and I must admit there are some posts here which I haven't a clue about what you are on about, but I'm sure (one day) I shall catch on! :-)
I'm learning, too. Step one, download the PDF version of the manual (or use the printed one -- I like PDFs as I can search them) and go through it. Most of the "problems" I've seen posted here and elsewhere are covered in the manual. Step two, check out the Sanyo HD700 tip site. Shows the camera is capable of things I didn't think it was:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html

Step three, play and experiment with it. Take it with you and see what you and it can do. Setp four, ask questions, everyone here is friendly. Enjoy!
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:36 AM   #267

I added a couple of photos I took this evening at my son's cousins party. I noticed that the flash caused a complete whiteout of the left side on some and you can see them here:

http://www.pbase.com/rgv523/hd700

They are the last three photos but one. Anyone else experienced this or know what caused it? I have never had this happened before and it doesn't happen in all photos. I am trying to work out if this is a defect of some sort. I thought maybe it was reflecting of my finger or something but haven't been able to recreate it at will although as you can see in the last two I took it again and got the same result, yet as the final photo shows, if I moved it to the left a little it didn't do it. It seems occur where there are large expanses of black.

I took some video indoors at a pizza place where my wife's sister's son was having his party and it is noisier than my C40 but with noise reduction turned on, it's acceptable at least. I am going to try it out in full daylight tomorrow.

If only they had stuck with a 4MP sensor like the C40 and HD1000. You really don't need anything higher in these. This is the reason why most regular camcorders could only take 640x480 for so long, it kept the individual pixel size up.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 2:21 AM   #268

here is hd700 fireworks video i took earlier tonight.

http://s8.video.blip.tv/122000167088...s113007446.MP4

i am using an old 512mb sd card until my new sd card arrives.
maybe its the reason why their are 2 instances of visual freezing in this video clip.

i used the fireworks mode for this video.
i like the results.
images taken were "interesting".

i have taken a good amount of sample videos and pictures will varied results. still tinkering with how to use manual controls to optimize results.
i really want to like this camera... and i feel i'm learning to appreciate it more as i experiment.

m
michaeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 8:49 AM   #269

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I added a couple of photos I took this evening at my son's cousins party. I noticed that the flash caused a complete whiteout of the left side on some and you can see them here...
That is odd. The shape of them is the same and, at first, I was thinking it was an edge of a finger near the flash since the flash is on the left of the lens it would make sense. But I'm not sure how you could hold it to do that, unless you're left handed. Then I thought maybe it's a reflection off something but the one in a different area is the same. I'm not sure what the heck could have done that. The fact that it's not in every picture makes it even more confusing.

I'd check the lens to make sure it's clean and then run some tests around the house to see if you get it again.

Quote:
If only they had stuck with a 4MP sensor like the C40 and HD1000. You really don't need anything higher in these. This is the reason why most regular camcorders could only take 640x480 for so long, it kept the individual pixel size up.

Personally I want more and more resolution for the ability to make larger prints, crop, etc., all from a camera that kits in your pocket. There's noise reduction software if I need it.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 8:52 AM   #270

michaeleven wrote:
Quote:
i am using an old 512mb sd card until my new sd card arrives.
maybe its the reason why their are 2 instances of visual freezing in this video clip.
I think the video was pretty cool! Wish there were some fireworks around here to shoot. The pausing is interesting. Did it pause like that during playback in the camera? Or, just when you loaded the video on your computer?