Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:19 AM   #271

Sorry if this has already been discussed - I've browsed through this thread but can't see anything. There's a lot of negative stuff being said in reviews on Amazon about this camcorder having a very 'zoomed-in' image, even at widest angle. I'm guessing this is particularly the case in HD video mode.

However, this doesn't seem to be an issue for people who bought the HD2 (again reading though Amazon reviews).Ithought the HD700 had the same spec as the HD2 at the wide angle setting (obviouslyHD2 haslonger telephoto).

Anyone know if there is really a difference?
Tapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:32 AM   #272

visorblue wrote
Quote:
The pausing is interesting. Did it pause like that during playback in the camera? Or, just when you loaded the video on your computer?
it did freeze in the camera too prior to copy to puter. also, i didnt mention this but i did try the taking photos while shooting video. it's possible those freezes are when i took still shots.... bit not certain. i'll try to reproduce the issue and report back.
michaeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:00 AM   #273

michaeleven wrote:
Quote:
visorblue wrote
Quote:
The pausing is interesting. Did it pause like that during playback in the camera? Or, just when you loaded the video on your computer?
it did freeze in the camera too prior to copy to puter. also, i didnt mention this but i did try the taking photos while shooting video. it's possible those freezes are when i took still shots.... bit not certain. i'll try to reproduce the issue and report back.
I wondered about that. I'd read somewhere of a possible pause when taking stills while taping at the same time and wondered what would happen under a variety of conditions. My guess was that you might not even see it during normal daylight use, provided that writing the still to the card and video at the same time can be done by the processor, but at lower light levels the pause may be noticeable as the still exposures will be longer plus the writing time. I'll have to run a few tests myself to see if my guess holds true.

How do the stills look? The audio didn't pause. Wonder if a faster card would make a difference?
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:15 AM   #274

Quote:
That is odd. The shape of them is the same and, at first, I was thinking it was an edge of a finger near the flash since the flash is on the left of the lens it would make sense. But I'm not sure how you could hold it to do that, unless you're left handed. Then I thought maybe it's a reflection off something but the one in a different area is the same. I'm not sure what the heck could have done that. The fact that it's not in every picture makes it even more confusing.

I'd check the lens to make sure it's clean and then run some tests around the house to see if you get it again.
That's what I thought at first too, but it doesn't look like a finger to me anyway and I am a right handed video shooter. I am trying to determine if it's a defect of the camera softwareor caused by unique situations though I don't know what is unique about the situations I took these in or why it should affect this camera and not my C40 for instance.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else has had or can repeat a similar effect using flash during very low light to dark situations

Quote:
Personally I want more and more resolution for the ability to make larger prints, crop, etc., all from a camera that kits in your pocket. There's noise reduction software if I need it.
Oh I like more resolution too, but not at the expense of low light capability. To me this is a video camera first. The problem with noise reduction is that you risk losing detail which is one of the complaints of the Panasonic Digital Cameras for instance.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:19 AM   #275

michaeleven wrote:
Quote:
visorblue wrote
Quote:
If you took photos while shooting video then it is almost certainly the cause of the freezing. This happens on all the Sanyo Cameras. It cannot write the photo and the video at the same time which is why it pauses the video for a few seconds.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:27 AM   #276

Tapster wrote:
Quote:
Sorry if this has already been discussed - I've browsed through this thread but can't see anything. There's a lot of negative stuff being said in reviews on Amazon about this camcorder having a very 'zoomed-in' image, even at widest angle. I'm guessing this is particularly the case in HD video mode.

However, this doesn't seem to be an issue for people who bought the HD2 (again reading though Amazon reviews).Ithought the HD700 had the same spec as the HD2 at the wide angle setting (obviouslyHD2 haslonger telephoto).

Anyone know if there is really a difference?
I don't hold a lot of value to a lot of Amazon reviews. A lot of them, on this camera and other things, are written by people with unreasonable expectations, don't seem to read manuals, and appear to have been looking to be disappointed. Like the guy that compared the images to his Canon G9...there's some expensive dedicated DLSRs that the Canon G9 beats in image quality.

As for his comments on the video quality, I don't know what he was shooting, his experience, nor how he worked. I just look at Caelum's and a few others I've seen to see what the camera is capable of. If my stuff falls short then it may be my techniques that need work -- yeah, could be a defective camera, just not the whole of the model.

As for the wide-end difference between the HD2 and the HD700, there shouldn't be any. Same focal length at the wide end of the lens. When I see "39-190mm" in 35mm equiv. I know that it's not going to be a wide angle lens -- 24-28mm. The HD2 has two advantages here, it has a 38-380mm equiv. lens and it takes assessory lenses; 1.4x and 0.6x from Sanyo and others (like a 0.3x and 2x) from other places. So, maybe people buying/reviewing the HD2 know that there's an easy solution for wide angle footage and don't mention it. If you have to have wide angle then the HD2 or HD1000 would be better choices.

I'm trying to figure out how to add a 0.5x I have to my HD700. The HD2 and HD1000 are a bit too big for my pants pocket and what I want is a pocket camera.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:02 PM   #277

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Oh I like more resolution too, but not at the expense of low light capability. To me this is a video camera first. The problem with noise reduction is that you risk losing detail which is one of the complaints of the Panasonic Digital Cameras for instance.
I'm not a low light shooter but if I was I think I'd go more for the HD1000 or something else. Actually, no I wouldn't, too big for my pockets. Wonder how the Panasonic SD7 is in low light?

I knew the HD700 wasn't a low light video camera before I bought it, although I saw some footage that showed it working in lower light than I'd have thought it would. If I start needing to shoot in low light then I add light, either in the form of room lights or an on camera (or next to camera) light. A friend uses a cheap 3 watt light he bought off ebay. Others use combo 10w/20w ones, etc. One of the CameraBright may work, although they don't look like they could be that bright and they're blue (6000k).

Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:05 PM   #278

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
michaeleven wrote:
Quote:
visorblue wrote
Quote:
If you took photos while shooting video then it is almost certainly the cause of the freezing. This happens on all the Sanyo Cameras. It cannot write the photo and the video at the same time which is why it pauses the video for a few seconds.
thanks. i read that in the manual last night as well. i assumed this would not be the case but it makes sense that this is a limitation unless their were 2 sd cards in the camera to store pics while maintaining video recording. oh well. still can be convenient especially if you plan to edit the video anyway. just need to use best judgement as to when to grab a still.

aside from this, i spent another hour last night experimenting with this camera... mostly testing out the photo functionality in different low-light situations. i've been able to take *some* good quality shots so i do feel that as you become more in tune with the hd700, you can create some very good pictures and video. it's just not going to happen in auto-mode unless you are outside on a sunny day.... so patience and understanding of the camera's capabilities in manual-mode are crucial to being satisfied with results.

in other words, you should be interested in maximizing quality results, else, go with larger cameras for both video and still photography (3CCD DV and DSLR).
i already have a canon GL-1 for high-quality video and had a canon powershot SD200 as my pocket-camera that did great pics and nice 320x240 video too. I lost that camera over the summer which put me in the market for a replacement pocket-camera that was a hybrid. the hd700 is a good choice (at $399). but i have to admit that i am tempted to invest in a new high-quality DSLR or splurge for the hd1000 to see if i can more out of it with less tinkering... especially because my wife will also be using this.

other thoughts so far....

hd700 is a very cool camera. i love the way it feels and fits in pant pocket with no problem. very stylish looking camera and fun to use.
the controls are good but i would have arranged things a bit different. sometimes i cannot use just my thumb to nav or i make some nav mistakes... but its pretty good and def much better than my powershot was.
i HATE the lense cap. if this has a built in automatic lense cover like my powershot had, it would be so sweet. just open the screen to turn on and your ready instead of fidgeting with this cheap lense cap solution.
i wish their was a usb port right on the camera as well. i dont want to rely on a docking station as much as this camera forces you too.
the manual control shortcuts feature is great!
voice/audio recording is very good.

i havent tried many features yet... so cannot speak to much else right now.

will post pictures and videos tonight on a page i will setup to demonstrate my use of the hd700.

as of right now, i feel the hd700 SHOULD be priced at no more than $450 right now especially since it does not include an sd card.

sull

michaeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:31 PM   #279

michaeleven wrote:
Quote:
thanks. i read that in the manual last night as well. i assumed this would not be the case but it makes sense that this is a limitation unless their were 2 sd cards in the camera to store pics while maintaining video recording. oh well. still can be convenient especially if you plan to edit the video anyway. just need to use best judgement as to when to grab a still.
Quote:
I guess it's one of those features that isn't really meant to be used continuously as you'd have lots of frozen spots in your video which would begin to make it unwatchable, butmight bevery handy in situations where a higher resolution still imagewould be more important than the video. I don't make use of it due to not wanting frozen spots in my video butI guess it'sa case of better than not having the option at all.
Quote:
i HATE the lense cap. if this has a built in automatic lense cover like my powershot had, it would be so sweet. just open the screen to turn on and your ready instead of fidgeting with this cheap lense cap solution.
Quote:
Yes the lens cap is worse than my SanyoC40 and that's just a push on as well. I can't understand why they didn't integrate an automatic lens cover either. It seems very much like an after thought solution.
Quote:
i wish their was a usb port right on the camera as well. i dont want to rely on a docking station as much as this camera forces you too.
Quote:
I hate docking stations as well, but as you say we have no choice.
Quote:
as of right now, i feel the hd700 SHOULD be priced at no more than $450 right now especially since it does not include an sd card.
Quote:
I totally agree, that the camera is not worththe best part of$600. The $399 price it was at temporarily was the right pricepoint in my opinion. When the Xacti range first started, they could command a premium because they were fairly unique but now they are merely trying to milk the market.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:02 PM   #280

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
michaeleven wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess it's one of those features that isn't really meant to be used continuously as you'd have lots of frozen spots in your video which would begin to make it unwatchable, butmight bevery handy in situations where a higher resolution still imagewould be more important than the video. I don't make use of it due to not wanting frozen spots in my video butI guess it'sa case of better than not having the option at all.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes the lens cap is worse than my SanyoC40 and that's just a push on as well. I can't understand why they didn't integrate an automatic lens cover either. It seems very much like an after thought solution.
Quote:
Quote:
I hate docking stations as well, but as you say we have no choice.
Quote:
Quote:
I totally agree, that the camera is not worththe best part of$600. The $399 price it was at temporarily was the right pricepoint in my opinion. When the Xacti range first started, they could command a premium because they were fairly unique but now they are merely trying to milk the market.
That's a bit harsh IMHO. They have the best in class unit hands down -- despite its shortcomings -- and the market is what the market will bare, no more, no less. You can't really "milk" the market, if you were over-priced, people would go elsewhere. People still buy the HD700/1000 because there's nothing on the market in those classes that are as good. That's my take. The main problem is people think they are buying a high end point-n-shoot camera or a consumer video camera, and these units are niether. They shoot decent video and decent pics, any dedicated unit will produce better results, but for the pocketability factor alone, these units are worth their weight in gold.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote