Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:33 PM   #281

Re: the pause when taking 7MPphotos while simultaneouslyshooting video: also try simply extractingstill frames from HD video (built-in camera functionality or on PC).Sure it'sonly 1MP stills, but it's nothing to spit on, better than many camcorders' stills; and I've been able to extract some goodones from video frames alone.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:32 PM   #282

Finally stopped raining so I was able to go out and run some tests on the HD700 today. Using it as a still camera will take some getting used to the wider angle in 4:3 vs. video 16:9 -- didn't expect that. I expected taller but the wider part threw me as I remembered that HD is wider than SD video.

As a still camera the thing is freakin' amazing. Razor sharp images with good color, excellent contrast, detail, etc. and I have mine set to "Soft" and shot everything in P mode. Nice.

For video I'm pretty impressed, too. Still figuring out the camera, LOT of options! Love the shortcuts, saves menu wandering but I am impressed at how quickly I can get to what I want in such a short time.

I went to a warehouse hardware store for a free 6-in-1 screwdriver I have a coupon for and decided to run some tests in the store. First, I hit the nursery and snapped some color flowers, including some close-ups, still and video. Then I wandered around the isles shooting the paint isle for color (it was kind of dim so I braced myself on a shelve), then the paint swatch area which was pretty brightly lit.

I stood in line at customer service to get the free screwdriver and pulled out the camera and filmed a customer and the service clerk for a minute or so while i waited. The camera is so small no one even seemed to notice.

From there I went to a kid's amusement park for some color, which was disappointingly pretty empty. Someone reserved it for a private birthday party later in the day so I shot what I could. On the way out I saw a family feeding a flock of geese/ducks (combo) so I shot them for a bit -- backlit. Came home and my dog gave me a valuable lesson in tracking that was fun.

I just looked at the footage and I'm darn impressed, especially since it's my first time out and I was in auto mode. The one piece I wasn't excited about was operator error -- not watching my focus on the merri-go-round and getting soft horses but sharp lights and mirrors behind the horses.

I really like the camera and think the $600 price point is fine...if not a bit cheap for a pocksize HD camera.

I debating if I want the older model, HD2, which has the 39-390mm and ability to take add-ons -- 1.4x and 0.6x from Sanyo but there's other and a 49mm adapter, too. The HD2 is only slightly bigger whereas the HD1000 is just too big for my needs/pockets. The HD2 uses MPEG-4 vs. AVCHD/H.264 and the HD700 files sizes are smaller and supposed to be better looking from the examples I'd seen of MPEG-4 vs. AVCHD/H.264, and the HD700 has a newer, better, "engine".

I'm about 80:20 in favor of the HD700 vs. the HD2 which I've never touched or used but seen some decent footage from. On the other hand, while I'd like the extra focal length and wide angle, I really may not need them -- especially the long end exeragerating my shaky hands.:lol:

The small size of the HD700 is a real plus. It was cool having it in my pocket as I wandered around today just removing it as needed. The quality I got in my tests impresses me. Going to see about making some sort of adapter for the HD700 to take the 0.5x I have and that will .

A Panasonic SD7 for the same or close price would entice me. For $900+ and grey market (no warranty), pass.

I'll post some samples soon.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:56 PM   #283

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Re: the pause when taking 7MPphotos while simultaneouslyshooting video: also try simply extractingstill frames from HD video (built-in camera functionality or on PC).Sure it'sonly 1MP stills, but it's nothing to spit on, better than many camcorders' stills; and I've been able to extract some goodones from video frames alone.
Funny enough my very first digital camera, an Olympus D340R had a resolution of 1280x960 which wasn't that much higher than the resolution of this video! It looked liked a film camera and video was almost unheard of in digital cameras when I got this new. Yet it took some very nice photos and I still have it somewhere as I couldn't part with it!

I used to get very good 6x4 prints from it, so the resolution of frames snapped from the HD700 video alone should be sufficient for good 6x4's also.

I have also been trying to replicate the flash oddity in those photos I took but so far can't seem to recreate it. Putting fingers in the way doesn't do it for sure yet in the case of the video game I was able to recreate it as can be seen by my two photos so it's not just an anomaly. I just can't seem to work out what is the actual cause.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:22 AM   #284

Here's a couple of videos I shot. I uploaded them in 720p to Vimeo.

I love the size but I'm not thrilled with the quality.

Gonna think about it for a couple more days.

http://www.vimeo.com/jeffpatch/videos
xjeffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:27 AM   #285

xjeffx wrote:
Quote:
Here's a couple of videos I shot. I uploaded them in 720p to Vimeo.

I love the size but I'm not thrilled with the quality.

Gonna think about it for a couple more days.

http://www.vimeo.com/jeffpatch/videos
Those looked pretty good, especially the Asimo footage. What aren't you thrilled with?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:36 AM   #286

This was an all around learning experience. I've never used iMovie '08 nor iPhoto '08 (Mac) but they work with the .mac account I've had for three months and never used either. Decided to add those to the learning the HD700 and created a gallery of some of the stills and video I did with the HD700 -- don't blame the camera for my bad techniques..

None of this has been edited or enhanced in any way -- there's flaws I'd normally fix or edit out. There's features/options at the bottom of the stills gallery and if you have a photo open and click on the "i" you'll see the EXIF info.

http://gallery.mac.com/crosby007#gallery

I plan to do some more testing of the HD700 today and will add to the gallery. I'll keep the stuff up for a month.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:33 AM   #287

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
[...]the .mac account I've had for three months and never used either.[...]
Nice, that's cool stuff! Good way to share videos, especially since it has multiple size options for different connectivity speeds. Is there not limited bandwidth? I mean if lots of people view your .mac site, it might add up to lot of GBs of traffic, are you charged for bandwidth usage above a certain amount?

rgvcam, that really is a strange glow on those photos. Hasn't happened to me (yet). Only thing I can think of is the flash directly refelecting on the glossy plastic panel of that cabinet on the left which might have overwhelmed the CCD sensor and caused "CCD bloom" in that areabecause of the overall exposure.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:16 PM   #288

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam, that really is a strange glow on those photos. Hasn't happened to me (yet). Only thing I can think of is the flash directly refelecting on the glossy plastic panel of that cabinet on the left which might have overwhelmed the CCD sensor and caused "CCD bloom" in that areabecause of the overall exposure.
Well it's not enough to make me return the camera for sure. You know, this camera is growing on me. I will admit that I am looking for any excuse to return this camera and it may yet happen, but I like the size and video quality (with good light that is) and I find the controls are not quite as confusing as my friends CG6 when switching between rec and play, not to mention faster. Of course this is just my personal preference, others may not have a problem! I still don't like the barrel distortion. Sure it can be corrected but as I have said in the past, I don't want to spend time correcting all my images and video if I can help it. Thankfully it's not quite as noticeable in the video most of the time.

I have to say that the $399 price is partly what is keeping me with it since I'll admit that there are no other HD cameras out there like this one for that price. If I had paid the full price I would seriously be thinking of exchanging for a HD1000 as the difference between the two is well under $200 now. The size of the HD1000 doesn't bother me but I don't really need full HD. I just wanted better video quality than my C40. The HD700 should be able to cope with more complex detailed scenery than the C40 which is what I am mainly after.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:28 PM   #289

the camera is also growing on me too
but again, the $399 price is a big part of my decision to keep it (if i do).
learning the limitations of the camera is key and is helping me to get out of it what i want to.

i would still like to experience the hd1000.
might have to buy it just to try before deciding on hd700.
would help if the price dropped to around $600 or less
michaeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:12 PM   #290

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
visorblue wrote:
Quote:
[...]the .mac account I've had for three months and never used either.[...]
Nice, that's cool stuff! Good way to share videos, especially since it has multiple size options for different connectivity speeds. Is there not limited bandwidth? I mean if lots of people view your .mac site, it might add up to lot of GBs of traffic, are you charged for bandwidth usage above a certain amount?
It's a special hosting deal. Flat rate deal, $100/yr., and you get 10GB of space and some other things. The Apple iLife software works with it. Yesyerday was first time I've used them. I signed up for the account three months ago to do exactly what I'm doing now.

All I did was drag some photos into iPhoto and then clicked on Web Gallery and it uploaded them for me. I added one I forgot and it told me that my gallery was out of date and I had it upload the new one. Same for the videos, I dragged the clips into iMovie and said to add them to my gallery. I need to read the instructions or watch the instructional videos, but this worked so...