Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:58 PM   #21

One more thing. I was happy to see metal tripod threads on the the bottom of my HD1000, so I was curious if the HD700 has metal or plastic threads? My CG65 has plastic threads.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:10 AM   #22

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
Can the HD700 record with the LCD shut?
Only if theLCD is facing out. If the LCD is facing in it goes on standby.

The tripod mount looks like... ummm, it's black, I think it's plastic.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:03 AM   #23
gep

Hello All, just read that informative post and will copy it.

Just purchased the Xacti HD700. from QVC UK, so look forward to using it.:-)

Looks very impressive from the demonstrations on QVC.

Gep
gep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:14 AM   #24

My father also purchased one of these from qvc although he has had his cg65 less than 2-3 months. It should arrive next week, but honestly he doesn't know half the features of the cg65 like the auto focus lock.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:17 AM   #25

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
Only if theLCD is facing out. If the LCD is facing in it goes on standby.

The tripod mount looks like... ummm, it's black, I think it's plastic.
Oh, BUMMER. I don't understand why'd they do that?

I often mount my CG65 to a tripod or to a clamp, set manual focus and ISO, get things rolling, and then shut the LCD. That not only lets the cam be more discreet (especially when clamped to something), but it also saves A LOT of juice (by not having the LCD lit up for an hour+).

They should have made that an option in the menus or left it the way it was...
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:02 PM   #26

I just called Sanyo and they said the first company that gets the HD700 in the U.S. is Amazon. According to the lady on the phone, she said that the HD700s went out by freight to Amazon last week and they should go on sale sometime this week. Thought you guys would like to know

Brett:-):-):-):-)
brettgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:32 PM   #27

Caelum - Thanks, as always, for your insights. I'm hoping the HD700 ships soon, I pre-ordered it quite a while back and hope I'll be getting my hands on one very shortly. When I do, I should still be within the 30 day return period of the HD 1000, so I'll shoot some comparos and share my opinion and observation. And then, one of them is going back.

Interestingly though, I find myself already resenting the HD1000 for staying home as much as it does. I notice a couple other people made the same comment on another forum, one saying he brought his CG65 with him despite having the HD1000 because it just wasn't portable enough to take along.

I'm hoping my experience with the 700 will mirror yours. Sounds like you are really impressed with it. Glad you found something that meets your needs!

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:00 PM   #28

Hi Caelum,

What made you decide to go for the HD700? Is it just the pocketability? If you don't mind, where did you purchase your unit?

Thanks again for helping to make this a great informative forum.
woodyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:07 AM   #29

Hi woodyc, I guess you mean between the HD700 and HD1000. The HD700 I think is more pocketable, has a lower price; I think7MP stills and 720p/30 HD video is "plenty good". HD1000 would be nice, but… On an unrelated note, at some point my wife and I made a decision we would never get a very large TV. Since the place I got it from kindly let it go ahead of schedule (I'm guessing one of the first boxes; eager, aren't I?) I don't want to get them in trouble. I'm surprised that in the US Amazon isn't shipping yet… oh wait, looks like it is according to their web site.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:42 AM   #30

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:

Caelum,

Quick question for you...

I just discovered my HD1000 can't record with the LCD closed, which S-U-C-K-S for me. My CG65 can record while the screen is closed, just as long as you press record and get it recording before shutting the LCD panel.

(Given the HD1000, I'm not confident that HD700 is any different, which would be a bummer for certain applications.)

If you cant record without using the LCD, Cant you flip it 180 degrees so its flush against the body of the camera so its like the LCD is shut, just that the lcd display is facing out instead of in?
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote