Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:26 PM   #311

bobbyvee wrote:
Quote:
I have to say the situation of the HD700 and HD1000 is by far the strangest I have ever seen in buying an electronic "gadget"!! The ever moving price tag of the two models and especially the HD700 is driving me crazy.

The difference between the two is so far apart that they are in a completely different classes now. The "aiptek" class of virtual impulse buy, and the full blown "Sony/Panasonic/ACHDV". And I think this is the consumer market voting with what I have to assume is an overwhelming number of returns of HD700s. Contrast that with the overwhelming positive reviews of the HD1000, which is ranked #8 on Amazon HD camcorder sales. The price of the HD1000 has actually been going up if any of you guys have been watching.

Like many, I decided to order the HD1000 for comparison and will try to see if the difference between the models is great enough to warrant the *** $400+ *** difference....WOW!!! Just yesterday I was willing to pay a $200-250 premium for the HD1000, now I am pretty sure that it can't be THAT MUCH better.... but I'll have to play with them more.

A few thoughts:
- You have to wonder how much this will cannibalize the HD1000 sales?
- Will Sanyo introduce a mid-range model or could the HD700 already be on its way out?
- How much do both these things actually costs to be able to keep chopping price tags like this? I agree with an earlier post that Sanyo must have misread the market and was trying get as much profit margin as possible.
- I noticed that Samsclub and Buy.com started offering the HD700 this week at the $500ish price tag. Will they be dropping prices too?

Decisions.. decisions!!! There was a user named SANYO on these boards around Thanksgiving and he/she seemed to be from the company. I'd love to hear some thoughts from that person and you all. This board is great with lots of informative posts!!!!
I think the problem is that Sanyo screwed up with the lens. The barrel distortion is what seems to be troubling people along with it's narrow field of view, although to be fair the barrel distortion isn't quite as noticeable in video mode but is quite bad in still image mode. Most people need wide angle more than zoom as do I. In fact I rarely use zoom in my cameras, it's just a handy thing to have that's all as occasionally you do need it.

If they had stuck with the same lens arrangement as on their previous models there probably wouldn't be as many complaints. Of course there is still the low light complaint but that's a problem with most of these devices anyway.

I still stand by my reasoning that the HD700 was overpriced to begin with, and it seems the 'market' may well be starting to agree with me. I am convinced Sanyo positioned it this way deliberately on the hope that those on the edge of decision would say "what the heck, I may as well spend the extra $200 and get the flagship model", but it may well be backfiring. While the Sanyo's have always attracted bad reviews from people expecting too much, if you look at all the models and their reviews on amazon.com you can defintely see a difference in the HD700. It has the lowest rating in the range so far.

If it wasn't for the fact that it was HD, the CG65/CG6 would be the model to go for, but... Now the HD700 is $299 that makes it cheaper than the CG65 which now changes the equation entirely.

If I had bought this at the original price, I admit that it probably would already be on it's way back to amazon.com. At the $299 price point, well it has certainly made that decision much more difficult since as has already been said, it's now the cheapest Stereo HD camera on the market with twice the bitrate of the Aiptek A-HD/GO-HD.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:51 AM   #312

I got it !!!

It is just arrived safe from Hong Kong.

I am going to test it and looking forward to read your tips.

Roberto
muteki65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 5:29 AM   #313

Windows Xp doesn't recognize the sdhc card of the camera :O

I must use a normal SD card !!

Where is the problem ?
muteki65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 5:59 AM   #314

Just taken delivery of my shiny new HD700, bought for £299.95 from Amazon.co.uk reseller SimplyElectronics. Service was good and delivery was very quick. I think this is currently the lowest price in the UK - although if the Amazon.com $299 price is permanent it should only be about £150here with the current exchange rate.

Its a massive improvement on my old Xacti C4 (the first ever Xacti SD camcorder model, I believe). Thanks to everyone who posted examples and information on this forum. I don't think I've ever been better informed before making a camera purchase.
Tapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:01 AM   #315

muteki65 wrote:
Quote:
Windows Xp doesn't recognize the sdhc card of the camera :O

I must use a normal SD card !!

Where is the problem ?
Theres a patch from the microsoft website that allows XP to recognize SDHC cards.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:04 AM   #316

Sanyo did not lower the price of the HD700, Amazon did and who knows for how long. Every other dealer is still selling it for $550+.

Regardless, I really like mine and am more interested in what I can do with it than finding fault and comparisons other cameras -- especially if I can't put them in my pocket, the main reason I bought mine. The stuff I've shot with it has been nice and in full auto mode.

Now that I have a decent idea of how it works my next experiments will be using the other features, locking focus, exposure, adjusting, etc. My samples will increase and be up for about a month:

http://gallery.mac.com/crosby007#gallery

How about posting your samples?
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:33 AM   #317

I also received the $100.00 credit. Thanks!!!
pneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:51 AM   #318

Just found a place on ebay with a charger and battery (DB-L40 equiv.) for $16 delivered (from Hong Kong) so I ordered it.

And if you want an extra lens cap they're $5.29, part #636-1096881 from Pacific Co Parts (Sanyo's parts house) - 1-800-421-5080. I checked into it as I'm looking for ways to rig up an adapter for a 0.5x lens I have. I have another idea I want to try first.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:57 PM   #319

Hi folks,

Thank you for the advice - I also got ~$100 back for my new HD700!

So far the first tests with it are good but I have the only problem: both my PCs do not have enough power to make the editing process simple. One of my PC is Intel PIV Duo (2 CPU, 3.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Vista) and even in it the preview mode in any of editing tools looks fragmented. I've tried Adobe Premier III SE, Sony Vegas 8.0C and my favorite Ulead VideoStudio 11.5 Plus – result is the same. Of course after rendering the movie looks OK, but editing is not so easy like it was with my old C6.
Do you have any positive ideas on this case?

Thank you again,
Fzkap

FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:10 PM   #320

Hi Amazon has raised their prices today from $299.

Wanted to know those that got credit $100 did you get credit yesterday the 4thor today the 5th? Will amazon credit others back $100 now that the price went up?

Thank you in advance.
Prince Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote