Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:08 AM   #331

Amer wrote:
Quote:
Beware of cheap media! Lost and Learnt.:!:
I have to admit that I also have some of the cheaper brands such as A-Data, Ritek etc, although they have been ok so far. The problem is, knowing which brands really are better and which really are bad. There doesn't seem to be a definitive list anyway only what you read of customers experiences in reviews and quite often the review ratings for all these cards are not that far apart, unless the brand is a real dog.

Of course the argument is, you can never pay too much to protect your precious content, but you can also go overboard by paying twice the price for just a little extra reliability.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:16 AM   #332

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
[...]Wide Angle Adapter[...]
Looks very promising.

That little lens cap snaps on so tightly, it's too bad the same clip-on method isn't easily adaptable for an external lens.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:38 AM   #333

I finaly go to see the vid , he only talked to the camera and not realy shown the idea. there are magnetic rings out there.

I wonder if dremil the inner lens cap out work?

I be curious as well for my other model.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:15 PM   #334

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
visorblue wrote:
Quote:
[...]Wide Angle Adapter[...]
Looks very promising.

That little lens cap snaps on so tightly, it's too bad the same clip-on method isn't easily adaptable for an external lens.
That's why I got a price on a replacement lens cap ($5.29) as my initial plan was to find something I could epoxy to a cap after I removed the center of it. That's my plan B, plan A may be simplier and more viable, no mods to the camera at all. Hoping to be able to make and try it this weekend.

My friend's idea is to remove the screws on the top and make a new metal piece the same size. Then tig weld on a filter ring at 90-degrees so it would be in front of the lens. It would work but would have to be on all the time and that's not what I want.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:31 PM   #335

they makea clip on lens?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:56 AM   #336

Well, I thought I had a viable plan for a wide angle adapter using a flexible plumbing repair piece (see picture above). I was going to epoxy a 37mm ring or filter to the front and then slide the setup over the HD700's front end. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a 37mm ring or filter locally so I tried using one of the hose clamps that came with the fitting to hold the lens on for now.

Worked for about 60 seconds and then the lens fell out of the clamp (not tight enough), as I watched in slow motion, and on to the concrete floor and broke.

I may order another 0.5x and try again...or not. I may decide to just pan when I want wider and enjoy the fact that the HD700 fits in my pocket. :-)

Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:47 AM   #337

:lol: (<- actually it's "I like it!" laughter) :G
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:30 PM   #338

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
:lol:
Laughing at my pain? Shame one you! :-)

Fear not! It's early and I have a plan C (plan B is the lens cap mod). I held the broken lens to the HD700 and looked through it. Hmm. Didn't see the break at all. Figured I'd play with the lens and see what I get. As I was was getting the lens cleaning tissues to clean off my fingerprints I started thinking that since the lens is broken I have nothing to lose so why not prototype with it.

Started thinking that I could use elastic with it...maybe glue on some kind of mounts (slotted pieces or something) to the lens and run elastic through them and around the back of the HD700. Since the lens is recessed I may or may not need anything in the front at all. As I thought more I remembered that I had some elastic I could use. Then I figured that some gaffers tape might work as a fast and easy way of testing the idea.

This is what I came up with:

Note how the HD700 lens is in the middle of the wide angle adapter, may miss the broken area entirely -- at the worse I can put the broken area on the bottom. Off to run a few tests. Results later.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:18 PM   #339

..... :lol: sorry to laugh, it's great and you are so innovative :lol: I am really looking forward to the results! I haven't had a chance to play with mine really yet as the weather here is dreadful at the moment and it is just raining every day!

Shall keep an eye out for your master piece.:-)

CYMRAES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:00 PM   #340

(Clarified my emoticon above...)
Good thinking, nice work!Reminds me of a scuba mask, perhaps because the broken glass looks like water.